Ebike still legal if I run 36V motor at 48V and limit speed to 15mph?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
All speed limits can be bypassed on every single ebike by settings in the electronics.
not on bosch ebikes you cant as you need a dongle to bypass the speed limit as the system is locked software wise.

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
All speed limits can be bypassed on every single ebike by settings in the electronics.
So being pedantic (i.e. just like a prosecution barrister would be), surely that means that all such bikes are in breach of the law because the user is able to bypass the speed limit...

Gavin

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2020
the problem with this is there has been no test cases to prove one way or the other but there are now so many ebikes about the law as it is does not make sense lol.
I suspect you're right @soundwave . With English case law being made up of precedent, I wonder if Thomas Hanlon did us all a favour.

Once you've got your 2000w Bafang, get yourself into a race with a copper to test the theory!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
not on bosch ebikes you cant as you need a dongle to bypass the speed limit as the system is locked software wise.
Yes you can. I've seen it done. What's more, you can change the walk assist to unlimited speed. No dongle necessary!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
give me a link then?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you can just go home and turn it all back up imo its like sticking 2 3000bhp turbos to ur car and not telling the insurance lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
thats a link to the bosch site lmfao.

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
So what about removing the Kunteng display from my handlebars? The controller can run without display when you short 2 wires of the display-connector.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So being pedantic (i.e. just like a prosecution barrister would be), surely that means that all such bikes are in breach of the law because the user is able to bypass the speed limit...
the user is the one bearing responsibility for altering the speed limit.
If he didn't alter the setting, he would never be caught in the first place.
Therefore, the possibility of alteration alone would not be sufficient to cause any legal hassle.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
One more time: LCDs that have settings for speed have been tested and certified that they comply with law. You can make whatever interpretation you want. If you're really worried, take your motor out of the bike, then they'll never get you.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well if you can remove the display then there is no way to change the speed limit same as i can remove my dongle and leave it at home, not going to happen lol.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
on most Chinese bikes, the speed limit is stored and activated by the display. That's why the speed limiter is a simple on/off switch. If you remove the display, you can still ride the bike but can't change assist level nor speed.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
One more time: LCDs that have settings for speed have been tested and certified that they comply with law.
nobody tests the LCD. You don't have 'EN15194 compatible LCDs' nor 'Non EN15194 compliant LCDs' . Manufacturers can password protect the settings but customers have also the right to access some settings. Responsibility lies entirely with those who alter the settings to go faster.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I assume his point is that they test and certify the whole bike as a complete system. And the LCD is part of that system.
there is no test specific to the LCD.
There are proposals to limit the assist level and make the bike tamperproof but they are still not codified.

vulcanears

Pedelecer
May 23, 2018
Thank you very much for your assessment, everyone.

Could you share your opinion on whether or not it would be illegal to run a 36V 250W motor at 48V, as long as I the speed to 15.5mph?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Tampering with the label is also covered by perverting the course of justice super serious offence -fraud /deception :eek: compared to no speed limiter its user beware with any kit or display adjustment
[ Any software can be locked to a speed limit via a laptop but we can change that quickly this is why some retailers want a waiver signed ]