eBike stopped working - help!

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Hi all,

I was cycling up a minor hill using throttle and pedal assist on my Powacycle Puma when the motor cut out. All power indicators still work and batter indictor, but throttle and pedal assist doesn't. Also, when I push the bike backwards there's resistance in the back wheel.

Any ideas on problem and advice?

Thanks,

Urbanpuma

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Was it raining ?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Both going at the same time doesn't bode well.
Even if pas goes throttle should work independantly, sounds like something may have fried in the controller. Probably a mosfet has gone.
Disconnect the controller by unplugging the motor cable at the connector along the rear stay and if the wheel spins ok, then the controller is faulty.

Reactions: cwah

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Both going at the same time doesn't bode well.
Even if pas goes throttle should work independantly, sounds like something may have fried in the controller. Probably a mosfet has gone.
Disconnect the controller by unplugging the motor cable at the connector along the rear stay and if the wheel spins ok, then the controller is faulty.
Ok, i'll do that and report back

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Yeah check by unplugging the controller first. If you still have resistance backward it means somewhere your phase wires are shorting

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
I've added two pictures, I'm holding the motor cable in one - do I just disconnect the black plastic square thing?

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
All of those wires in your hand need to be disconnected. There should be a plug near the motor which would prob. be easier.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Disconnected all cables now, back wheel goes backwards with just very slight judder - what should I do?

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Ugly connection. Keep the phase wire separated and try running your bike now.

I think you got a short on the phase wires

• Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I had similar looking melted wires on a bike recently, but controller and motor were fine after repair. If the bike runs with the phase wires separated, cut out those connectors and solder the wires together. Tape them up well or use some heat shrink tubing.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Yes, I think you're both right about the short due to the wiring. Sorry, I'm not technical at all..how do I disconnect the phase wires - just pull them apart?

And what needs to be connected to test if the the bike works?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
If it works, you better replace these connectors if you don't want that happening again