Ebike Video Cam Review Template

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Below is an example. Suggestions welcome!

Product: CAR DVR
Price: £20.00
Supplier: 7dayshop.com - Online shopping made easy ! (and others)
Mount Location: Tribar
Mount brakets: CAR DVR BIKE MOUNT
Review:Good quality images and durable!
Utube Ref:
Photo:
Weight: 100g
Shake: poor
HD: Yes
File Type: AVI
File Dimensions:720 * 480
File Bit rate: 352 kbps
Conversion needed before upload to UTUBE? Yes

Key for Shake:
poor = very jerky video not watchable
acceptable = some shake, but still ok to watch
good = fairly stable image, some bumps and maybe some vibration
exellent = very stable and smooth

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Perfect

Looks good, I hope the forum admin agrees to let us have the sub forum it would be a great addition to the site I think, cameras are becoming a big part of cycling for many people so its useful to have the camera reviews and advice here.

...And if any camera manufacturers out there want to send their new cameras for testing and inclusion here, I'm sure yourself as forum manager would be happy to test them out ;-))

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
suggestion..

I just a thought.. I know your CAR DVR cam and my MD80 have the live time and date on the video, but most cameras don't have this feature.. it's a useful feature to have for cycle filming don't you think? Maybe we could say in the template if the camera has that or not..

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Yes. Good Idea (although mine has reverted and is showing 2008 again! ..:)
I think at this stage we need to build up a list of things to include and then have a good think.

Latest version:

Product: CAR DVR
Price: £20.00
Supplier: 7dayshop.com - Online shopping made easy ! (and others)
Mount Location: Tribar
Mount brakets: CAR DVR BIKE MOUNT
Review:Good quality images and durable!
Utube Ref:
Photo:
Weight: 100g
Shake: poor
HD: Yes
File Type: AVI
File Dimensions:720 * 480
File Bit rate: 352 kbps
Conversion needed before upload to UTUBE? Yes
Date and Time Display: Yes

Key for Shake:
poor = very jerky video not watchable
acceptable = some shake, but still ok to watch
good = fairly stable image, some bumps and maybe some vibration
exellent = very stable and smooth

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Camera ideas...(geek alert)

Ok this is probably better in our (hopefully) forthcoming camera forum, but I had a couple of ideas I wanted to just put down before I forget (my mind is terrible these days, must be age catching up on me)..

One of my many hats is a perl programmer, and I've discovered a way to overlay time and date onto videos from cameras that don't have that feature.. I'm pretty sure I could code a web-based app that could put the overlay onto videos.. might be worth exploring at some point..

Second idea.. while clearing out some old junk in the loft I discovered I have an old ITX computer motherboard...ITX being the tiny form factor commonly used for building car PC's and video monitoring devices etc.. It runs off 12v and I'm thinking it might be a neat project to put a 12v AA battery pack on it, stick it on the rack and try filming with some webcams.. I actually have a box full of old webcams, some produce good video quality (1-5 megapixel sensors).. so be interesting to see how it would work out on a bike..

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
This whole web/spy camera has pricked my interest.

A guy at work has a pair of these he likes

SUNGLASSES DV MOBILE EYEWEAR RECORDER SPY HIDDEN CAMERA | eBay UK

Would kill two birds with one stone for me as I need protection for the fly/bug season.

The guy at work was subject to a van man getting out his van after a close shave and grabbing him round the kneck from behind when he went to put his bike up against a wall when he saw him coming to chat. It was the second day after he got the glasses but had forgot/messed up tunring them on and missed it all!

The van man was pulled off by bystanders and then jumped into his van and drove off before the police could be called.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
This whole web/spy camera has pricked my interest.

A guy at work has a pair of these he likes

SUNGLASSES DV MOBILE EYEWEAR RECORDER SPY HIDDEN CAMERA | eBay UK

Would kill two birds with one stone for me as I need protection for the fly/bug season.

The guy at work was subject to a van man getting out his van after a close shave and grabbing him round the kneck from behind when he went to put his bike up against a wall when he saw him coming to chat. It was the second day after he got the glasses but had forgot/messed up tunring them on and missed it all!

The van man was pulled off by bystanders and then jumped into his van and drove off before the police could be called.

Regards

Jerry
Oh dear another road rage incident. The camera glasses sounds a great idea. I'd be interested to see how stable they film I imagine it would be very good being head mounted, a good alternative to the helmet mount.. perhaps you could post a review if you decide to order them?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Ok I will order a pair.

The thing is the guy at work is a martial arts nut and had he been able to get his ruck suck off his back and actually face this guy before he jumped him, things may have been very different. He did report it to the police and they took a statement.

It is bizarre to think why people become this way when driving and how they would vent at a person on the bike. I guess it is all pent up stress, pressure and aggression coming out :eek:

Ps when the guy grabbed him, he crushed the glasses and broke them.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Damn that chicken video was funny and weird at the same time :eek:

Regards

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
:)
I think multiple cameras is the way to go! .. Front mounted, Rear mounted and body mounted! ...

The head of a chicken is amazing and may be of help in solving the front mounting issue:
YouTube - Chicken Head Tracking - Pennywhistle Productions

Watch the chicken's head.
Incredible. At first watching I thought it must be some software trickery but it's not it's real isn't it. If only our cameras could remain as stable as a chicken's head!

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Incredible. At first watching I thought it must be some software trickery but it's not it's real isn't it. If only our cameras could remain as stable as a chicken's head!
I might be tempted to try but our chickens are less than cooperative and getting them to stay on the handle bars might be tricky!

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
:D

I might be tempted to try but our chickens are less than cooperative and getting them to stay on the handle bars might be tricky!
haha :D

Looks like might be sunny for a few hours t'morrow, might venture out on bike with the cam.. supposed to be taking it easy got a bad knee.. might have to make use of the throttle and give the old knees a rest ;-)

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
sorry about the knee problem. I'm not much of a worrier, always been very easy going , what will be will be ..etc .. however, if I was unable to ride at the moment I would be devastated! ..
Perhaps you can modify your crank/pedals so that you only need to use one knee (assuming that both knees aren't troubling you!) ... I was talking to someone at work who didn't want to have a go on my bike in case his bad knee locked out which was a shame .. I mean people with one leg ride bikes dont they? ... I had a problem with my crank/pedals and the left pedal fell off and I didn't have an allen key. I just cycled home carefully with one pedal and as my assist was unaffected it was no problem! ..

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
sorry about the knee problem. I'm not much of a worrier, always been very easy going , what will be will be ..etc .. however, if I was unable to ride at the moment I would be devastated! ..
Perhaps you can modify your crank/pedals so that you only need to use one knee (assuming that both knees aren't troubling you!) ... I was talking to someone at work who didn't want to have a go on my bike in case his bad knee locked out which was a shame .. I mean people with one leg ride bikes dont they? ... I had a problem with my crank/pedals and the left pedal fell off and I didn't have an allen key. I just cycled home carefully with one pedal and as my assist was unaffected it was no problem! ..
Thanks Alan, it's just the left knee, an old injury..gets a bit stiff, maybe I been overdoing it a bit lately with the cycling probably just not used to it as I haven't been cycling much before I got the electric bike.. I only cycle for leisure I don't need to commute to work or anything.

Seems ok today so I will just get back into it gradually..there's a nice big lake near my place with a cycling lane around it so I might try and go around that and get it on camera...perhaps do something creative and film sideways facing the lake ;-) The pavements are fairly smooth and I would be going slower cuz of pedestrians so might come out ok if I can get the camera angle right..

Hope you are getting some sunshine your way and getting some bike time in today? :)

Paul

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
just taken the front wheel of my recumbent so will probably spend the rest of day putting it back on! .. Hope the filming goes well ..