Ebromptoner must read :)

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
After converting my brompton to electric. I always encounter the problem of balancing the bike when it folds. the centre of gravity of the bike has shifted dramatically to the right simply because of the motor.

BBike sells a kit that can extend the easy wheel and it sorts out this problem. However I have not seen one reviewing it.

I came across a kit from Taiwan selling similar kit but using high quality material with CNC

I received this kit and installed it on my brompton. I must say I love my brompton so much more now.

It completely sorts the balance problem now I can wheel my brompton easily to the shop! :)

Patt

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Yes lol.

It is good to share. I really think someone will find it useful!

Pat

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
I appreciate the share. I may yet go back to an ebrompton.
(although I do keep eyeing up a performance tern or Dahon with a crank motor conversion)
Previously i broke my power switch on the Brompton when the bike fell over because it was weighted on one side.
I had put it in the spare room and then 10 minutes later there was a crash and it had fallen over.
I think a narrow motor would help here and am a bit disappointed to see that there hasn't been anything like the crystalyte g209 that enables you to do a straight wheel swop.
It would make the B so much more versatile for train or bus commuting.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
G209 is so heavy and it is not very ideal for brompton.

Probably you know Q85 is 85mm so it is not to bad to fit brompton fork (75mm). If you read my build you know it is not very difficult to widen the fork.

Let me know if you need any help
Pat

Reactions: superDove

dingrpdl

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2012
Hong Kong
Do you have a link to the Taiwanese product?

dingrpdl

Pedelecer
Apr 21, 2012
Hong Kong
Thanks Pat.

superDove

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2011
Cheshunt, Herts. UK
Pat,
You seen the carbon fibre and titanium rear rack?
There's a pic on the LBC FB page. Can't find a pic of it on t'internet now.
Would go well with your extending ez wheel ;-)

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
G209 is so heavy and it is not very ideal for brompton.

Probably you know Q85 is 85mm so it is not to bad to fit brompton fork (75mm). If you read my build you know it is not very difficult to widen the fork.

Let me know if you need any help
Pat

Well if course that all depends on exactly what you're looking for....my G209 Brompton is still in daily use, over 10,000 miles on the motor. It's still completely smooth and silent; running as well as the day I wired it up!

It is quite heavy compared to the smaller geared options but I wonder if they'd be so trouble free with this kind of mileage in all weathers?

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
Have we had any more update on the G209? Did they change the design so it fits the Brompton without any work to the forks?

I believe they did but I don't know what's available now. Mine needed some fork stretching to get it in.

The G209 didn't seem to get many good write ups when it was released but I imagine I've given it the longest road test of any user...I can't imagine many others have done 10,000+ miles on a 16" folding bike!

I also love my Ezee converted Giant Seek....but there's something great about the almost silent hum of the Crystalyte on the Brompton.

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
What speed you are running it? Using 36v 15amp controller ?

Patt

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I run 16s lifepo4, so 52v. The G209 is wound too slow for a 16" wheel at 36v. 52v gives 17/18mph but with amazing torque, goes up any hill. I have a programmable controller, I can't remember what I set the current to it was such a long time ago.

My controller also allows 110% speed setting which gives 20mph...but of course that's not for legal road use ;)

patpatbut

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2012
Wow your bike is super heavy then. What is the total weight?

benjy_a

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 25, 2009
I've never weighed it but yes it's a heavy beasty! The battery is in the front bag and connects automatically when you put it on the bike. Battery weighs about 7kg!

But....I have a range of about 70 miles on max assist (with cruise control). It's quite an amazing commuting machine.

My build thread is on the forum. I wanted a huge range and high mileage reliability for a folder that could do 30-40 miles a day. I achieved that at the expense of weight. I only carry it to lift it onto and off of a train

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Impressive stuff for obsessive Bromptonears lol

I have a few Ti parts on my M2L-X namely a seat post, axle for my two speed wheel and a couple of bolts hear and there.. Oh and I treated myself to a Ti Brooks B17 saddle. Silly money but I use my Ti Brompton most days and all that probably cost less than four or five tanks of petrol and will last for much longer :).

Jerry