Electra Townie with BAFANG 250W. How can i put throttle?

electro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 23, 2011
I have just finished with my electra electric conversion i will place some pics later. The bike is an Electra Townie 7d in which i put a rear Bafang 250w motor and a 9AH Panasonic Multifit Baterry. everything is ok. The only disturbing is the complete power cut off when i reach 25 Km/h. The motor stops completely and it doesn't starts until i fell under 25KM/H. I thing i can solve this problem if i put a throttle so that i can give electric power whenever i want.

What are my problems:

1) The controller has connections for either a Led Display (the classic plastic with the "low - medium- High" mode) or a throttle. I cannot put both.
Q: Is there a way i can put both if i change the controller?

2) Q: Is ther an LCD monitor pedal assist that is compatible with bafang motor?

2) There is only one brake stop conection on the controller.

Thanks in advance!
Q: Is there a controller with both brakes connectors?

Attachments

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Electro
I love the Electra bike range! Beautiful shapes and very attractive to younger people. The company itself has a great range of accessories and customisations to help this niche brand build a loyal following. Excellent marketing strategy!

You should be able to connect both brake cut-offs to the one controller connector, just splice them together. However, to get both variable assist levels and a throttle working together you would probably find the job easiest with a new controller.

The cost should be less than £30 from a reputable supplier and forum members will probably know of some excellent sources.

Nice bike!

electro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 23, 2011
Thank you for the replies,

What i don' t like about the kit i use is that when i reach 25Km/h the motor stops and i keep riding without assist.
When i had the Wisper Alpino, i remember that when i reached 25km/h the assist didn't increase but it was still there beneath all the time even if i reaced 45 Km/h.

Is that right. is this the way cheap kits work or i can fix it??

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Electro,

All our bikes set up for the UK will gradually reduce power as it reaches 25kph (+- 10%) it sounds to me as if the Alpino you had was set up for the USA or Canada where the bike would certainly reach 45kph before the power was cut.

There may be a way of reprogramming the kit but only the manufacturer or distributor would be able to help.

A word of caution though, riding such a bike on the public highway in the UK would be considered illegal.

All the best and Good luck!

David

D

Deleted member 4366

Easiest option is the KU65 controller from BMSBattery, which comes with the same LED panel. While you're there, get a couple of their hidden wire brake sensors, since the additional postage will be minimal.

You can get LCD ones from Conhismotor. I think that they're for sensorles motors because I can't see the hall sensor connectior; however, Bafang SWX motors run OK sensorless.:
http://www.conhismotor.com/ProductShow.asp?id=308

That battery mounting looks vulnerable. If you can, put a large jubilee clip or cable tie round the bottom bit to stop it from pulling the studs out.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Hint... :p

for_d8.JPG

Bit small.. but follow the arrows for the hidden hall connector

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Have you got a magnifying glass I can borrow, Dave. Never mind hidden wires, it's more like hidden photograph.
Lol

Ctrl and + makes things larger, Ctrl and - makes them small

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small

Sorry ..