Electric Bicycles

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Reading the ads & business cards on a notice board in Tesco's B Stortford branch while my other half checked out, I saw a card, (lots of them, actually) advertising Infinium ebikes on sale at Station Garage in the town.

As we were passing there the next day, we popped in for a look but the receptionist hadn't a clue what I was talking about and there was no on-site advertising of the product. While we were engaged in conversation, a chap came through from the garage area and, on grasping the thread, invited us through to the back of the premises where he showed us a MB-style machine with flat tyres. The frame logo clearly told me it was an Infinium.

He told us a story about a mate in Harlow, (sounded credible) and then showed us a Powercycle Salisbury which I rode on battery power around the car park....not impressed at all, I may add. I don't think he is a serious seller of ebikes but I had never even seen an Infinium till that day and I certainly hadn't ridden a Powercycle model before.

Since then, I have discovered that Infinium is based in Harlow but the scant material I've been able to read on them leads me to believe they are not the best choice in their price range.

Ok, I'm less than well-informed so I'm wondering if there are any owners amongst forum members and whether anyone has anything good to say about them. Equally, I don't recall seeing anything recently in the forum about Powercycle. Any fans out there?

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Infineon is an attempt by Powacycle to go upmarket, but a poorly planned launch and various early faults blighted it at the outset. It's claim to fame was a stackable battery rear carrier system, but the launch delays have allowed much larger batteries from 14 to 18 Ah to arrive on rival bikes, killing any proposed advantage of the stacking system.

Powacycle models like the Salisbury are right at the budget end of the market, lowish price but also low powered, enabling use of lower spec lower cost batteries. Although not fast or good for hill climbing, many in flatter areas are happy with them. Unfortunately the firm has had periods of giving extremely bad support which hasn't helped their prospects.

The company is actually Akhter Computers who have branched into other products. Click on "Associated Brands" on the link below and you'll see what I mean:

Akhter Computer

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Thanks for that flecc. That's a strange business model by the people responsible for Powacycle, to spell it correctly this time, but I'm sure they know their market(s.)

I've had a look at Infineum's (again, I've amended my mis-spelling) website and I see they do a model similar in basic concept to the Gazelle I have. It might be a perfectly ok bike but I don't think I'll be giving up my Easy Glider any time soon based on the evidence of my own eyes and your brief summary of the firm's history.

Over this last week, I've done a lot of riding around Herts and even now, I'm still working on the techniques involved in timing gearchanges while on undulating terrain. The Gazelle lacks the sheer grunt of some of the more modern Panasonic-powered bikes so it's essential to get the timing of gearchanging right to maintain decent progress when up hill and down dale. I reckon I'm pretty good at it now and cycling is pleasurable even on steep hills. Patience is a virtue though!

I might regret saying this but it seems to me that going very much quicker than I can manage on my bike is a bit unnecessary. Perhaps those who want or need to go really fast on two wheels should be moving up to IC powered machines with all that goes with such machinery?

Recently, just out of curiosity, I locked out the front suspension to see what a rigid front fork felt like over my usual route. Now, while I love the appearance of those Cytronex machines and some others with solid front ends, I don't think I could live with that on a day-to-day basis. I won't ever be doing time trials or indeed anything competitive on a bike, so I think I'll be sticking with soft-riding bikes.

My views may change over time but I've come to enjoy the high-riding position my bike provides even though smaller-framed machines with more advantageous gearing might be quicker.

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, well timed gearchanges and anticipation of the need for those is the key to getting the best from the bikes with more moderately powered Panasonic systems.

And I agree about the riding position on this type of bike, the Lafree being very similar and always very comfortable to ride. A long term friend and neighbour of mine was a club rider who had only ever ridden lightweight drop handlebar extreme sport bikes, but one day tried out my Lafree out of interest. On his return he made one impressed remark, "wonderful handlebars", not what one would expect from a first try of an electric assist bike, but showing how effective those bars were for riding comfort.