Electric bike insurance recommendations

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi all,

The CPRE (the Campaign to Protect Rural England) are setting up a scheme to help rural communities create and run their own sustainable transport schemes. Part of this involves trialling electric bikes in a couple of villages and a number of volunteers have agreed to give up their cars for a month and record their travel patterns.

The bikes will need to be insured for the duration. Other than the obvious Cycleguard, what other insurance companies have members successfully insured their bikes with?

IOM

Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2008
Hi Russ,

My two bikes have been added to my household contents insurance with Aviva.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Same here. Aviva, £1500 cover both at home and away. It also gives me £5 million third party liability insurance. So, should I crash into the local orphanage and cause a massive explosion resulting in multiple fatalities, I will be covered.

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
Not sure but for that sort of use try Butterworth spangler or Assoc. of Cycle Traders not sure of numbers if you cant find them pm me I also know of another one all do individual/ bulk/ trade

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I parked my bike recently at New Street Station in Birmingham, and retrieved it late at night. I was approached by a member of security staff who said that I was lucky my bike was still there - three had been stolen that very day, and "gangs were operating in the area". I have an excellent (£60) Abus D-lock, but nevertheless - I think it is time I insured the bike!

However, I have no idea what is a reasonable sum to pay for insurance. I'd want theft cover at home and away, and public liability if it's not too much extra. Ideally, no excess either. (I notice Cycleguard offer 'roadside recovery', but I don't think I'd need that!). If there are any city-dwellers here who've taken out cycle insurance, what did you pay?

Does household contents insurance generally cover bikes locked up when they are away from the house?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I just came across this warning about Cycleguard. They say that theft of parts is not covered by this insurer, and checking the small print, it looks like they're quite correct:

2.2 Theft of Your Bicycle when away from the Insured Location
What is Not Covered
12. Any tyres, fixed Accessories or removable parts, unless the Bicycle is stolen at the same time
OK, so in addition to my above requirements, I'd like parts insurance as well. You'd think it'd come as standard :mad: