Electric bike shops or demo possibilities in Norfolk Suffolk

Oiseaux

Pedelecer
Jan 19, 2011
La roche Posay, Vienne, France
I am hoping to visit my daughter in Norwich late August. I have looked in this forum's dealer directory, and searched on google but cannot find an electric bike shop in those counties. I know there are folk on here from those regions so would appreciate details of how they 'tried' before buying.

Oiseaux

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I'm in Suffolk, and the only local supplier seems to be a company called "light Electric Vehicles" (LEV) in Leiston.

Personally I took a blind(ish) leap of faith after a lot of research, and ordered my Wisper online as there was a rather good deal, pending the change of model design in early 2009, hence I have a 2008 spec machine. So I didn't get to test ride one until I actually owned it. Some would say this was foolhardy, but with the wealth of good reviews, I thought I couldn't be far wrong - happily this assumption turned out to be correct:cool:

Last edited:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I'm in Suffolk, and the only local supplier seems to be a company called "light Electric Vehicles" (LEV) in Leiston.

Personally I took a blind(ish) leap of faith after a lot of research, and ordered my Wisper online as there was a rather good deal, pending the change of model design in early 2009, hence I have a 2008 spec machine. So I didn't get to test ride one until I actually owned it. Some would say this was foolhardy, but with the wealth of good reviews, I thought I couldn't be far wrong - happily this assumption turned out to be correct:cool:
Hi Straylight, Can you provide a quick review? Are you commuting? Whats your route like? How many miles have you done roughly? Any issues? any photos of your machine, ..do you have it regularly serviced? ...

squimlet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 14, 2011
I have just been around a couple today in Norwich which were pedal revolution and velocycles. However, both of them only stock either the giant and/or the ebco bikes

RussJ

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2011
There aren't many (any?) electric bike shops in and around Norwich that I managed to find so I bought on recommendation from this forum and other research on the net.
I live about 8 miles from Norwich and have a Kalkhoff Proconnect Disc 8 which you're welcome to come and have a look at and try out.
As far as I know, we will be here in late August so, if you're interested, suggest you PM me nearer the time and we'll sort out a meet.
Russ

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Hi Straylight, Can you provide a quick review? Are you commuting? Whats your route like? How many miles have you done roughly? Any issues? any photos of your machine, ..do you have it regularly serviced? ...
Yes I do commute fairly regularly (I work freelance), with a round trip of 24 miles. I charge the battery after each leg of this though. My route, as you'd expect, is mainly on flat quiet country lanes, with only a couple of inclines to contend with.

I've done nearly 5000 miles since Feb. '09.

I've changed: The saddle, the brakes, the handlebars, the chain-ring (from 48t to 53t), the handlebar grips, and the original dynamo powered front light to a much nicer unit. I've also added brake boosters front and rear. Oh, and I've also had several broken spokes in the rear wheel, which were replaced FOC by Wisper.

I do my own servicing, not as a regular overhaul, but on an ad-hoc basis, as things start to feel loose etc. One thing I'm surprised about is that I'm still using the original chain and gear set, which to date has shown no sign of wear (chain not skipping etc.) - touch wood.

The motor/battery are still pulling as strong as ever, and other than those caused by my own stupidity, I've had no electrical issues (nearly melted the multicore to the controller, after a botched fix on the pedelec power switch following a crash - doh!).

My only gripe, which has been addressed in more recent models, is the lack of a sealed bottom bracket, but hey, I don't have to re-grease/tighten it very often (once or twice a year), so not such a big deal.

Last edited:

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Straylight, delighted to read all is going well, i too prefer a bigger chain wheel but always get shouted down when trying to change our specs.

All the best

David

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Yes I do commute fairly regularly (I work freelance), with a round trip of 24 miles. I charge the battery after each leg of this though. My route, as you'd expect, is mainly on flat quiet country lanes, with only a couple of inclines to contend with.

I've done nearly 5000 miles since Feb. '09.

I've changed: The saddle, the brakes, the handlebars, the chain-ring (from 48t to 53t), the handlebar grips, and the original dynamo powered front light to a much nicer unit. I've also added brake boosters front and rear. Oh, and I've also had several broken spokes in the rear wheel, which were replaced FOC by Wisper.

I do my own servicing, not as a regular overhaul, but on an ad-hoc basis, as things start to feel loose etc. One thing I'm surprised about is that I'm still using the original chain and gear set, which to date has shown no sign of wear (chain not skipping etc.) - touch wood.

The motor/battery are still pulling as strong as ever, and other than those caused by my own stupidity, I've had no electrical issues (nearly melted the multicore to the controller, after a botched fix on the pedelec power switch following a crash - doh!).

My only gripe, which has been addressed in more recent models, is the lack of a sealed bottom bracket, but hey, I don't have to re-grease/tighten it very often (once or twice a year), so not such a big deal.
Thanks.. If you could post a photo that would be great ...

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
Got to say I wouldn't have thought the flatlands of East Anglia natural territory for ebikes. I appreciate that there will be people who will be in need of electric assistance, but in terms of volume sales lets just say I would be inclined to seek business elsewhere...

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Well, there is often around 6miles or so between places round here, and most villages do not have any shops, or pubs anymore, it can often be quite a trek when you need a loaf of bread etc. There is also quite an ageing population that rely soley on their cars to get about. I have actually seen quite a few ebikes around the relatively large settlements, Eg. Halesworth & Saxmundham.

The benefit I find is that I can cruise at or near top speed for pretty much the entireties of my journeys, and so the bike is a very viable form of 'alternative' transport. I think with enough promotion, EA could provide a very good ebike business opportunity, if sold on the premise of going further faster, rather than the more traditional flattening of hills. After all, they're doing rather well in Holland:)

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
"After all, they're doing rather well in Holland"
A very fair point Straylight, and one I had notably overlooked!