Electric Bike World Tour

GalahOnTheBay

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks boys. I have been reading many of the threads and finding them very interesting. Tex you are right about me being from the South side but I do journey to the Northern beaches for a catch up with mates from the " Latte " crew :D :D . Its a very interesting situation on the North side of the Bridge. I'd really like to live there for many of the reasons already known to you as a Northern Beaches man but for some very odd reason the winds over there don't match what we get on the Bay or down Cronulla way. Being the ultimate addict when it comes to kitesurfing ( when wind is on I'm out there every day ) I would find the hour plus trip from say Dee Why which would be my pick to live, a real pain....especially trying to get through traffic at the Spit etc. .....so for the time being I've got to slum it.

Actually there are some terrific places to go bike riding in the south especially around Kurnell way.... the location where Capt. Cook set ashore in 1770 claiming Australia for the Mother country....( info for my new O/Seas forum mates ). Whale watching season is upon us and there are some terrific vantage points from Cape Solander which is located in the National Park at Kurnell. The Wisper 906 would be great in my possession right now for that purpose.. this 3month wait is gonna kill me.
Tex , I was chatting with Guim on Monday...he is heading over to NZ for about 10 days ( he left on Wed 16th ) He is a very interesting bloke to talk with. You should catch up with him when he gets back. Actually on his return I'm going to shout him a feed at one of the local restaurants and have a yarn to him about his exploits on the round the world electric bike tour. You are very welcolme to join us if you wish... the more the merrier...anyway mate I can keep you informed when it is taking place and you can decide then.
cheers for now folks. I'm going to head out to Cronulla...a bit of wind on the way:D :D

Tex

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Col. I'd be up for a feed. Ol Guim looks like he could do with a steak. Send me a PM with the details and we'll spilt the bill. I'll regail you with stories of my 6months riding from china to Pakistan! Ps. Hope the wind was good.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Col. I'd be up for a feed. Ol Guim looks like he could do with a steak. Send me a PM with the details and we'll spilt the bill. I'll regail you with stories of my 6months riding from china to Pakistan! Ps. Hope the wind was good.
Six months! They are only 200 miles apart. :eek:
:)

GalahOnTheBay

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 14, 2010
No worries mate,I'll be in touch.
cheers

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Col!

Hi Col and Tex, wish I could join you for that meal, but I wont be in OZ again until later in the year.

Col, delighted you went for the 906Alpino, it's a great bike I really hope you have fun.. Ignore Flecc, get that kite up on the bike :cool: a faint heart never won a ....... as long as you can handle the kite ride the bike and give a running commentary into a video camera it would be great!.......... :D

The bikes are coming with the Alfine brakes, however if you want to have the Hydraulics on I am sure I could arrange a special for you. I am in Shanghai now with the factory so please let me know. The only problem will be the brake cable rings cannot take the hydraulic hoses so they would be held in place with cable ties. These are the last of the frames we have in stock and the new bikes will be set up to take either brake style. If you let me know quickly I may be able to change the frame before it's sprayed.

Thanks for your kind comments about Guim, yes he is a star, unfortunately I think he has fallen in love with Sydney, If he is to be back in time for the olympics he needs to get a move on! :)

Please let me know how you get on with the bike.

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Two become one!

Congratulations Guim and ThuyAnh!

zoomnailx20.jpg

Last week Guim, our intrepid electric bike pilot was married to ThuyAnh Nguyen. Guim met ThuyAnh a year ago when he was first in Vietnam on his ride from the Birds Nest Stadium to the UK Olympic village. They met when ThuyAnh interviewed Guim regarding hos trip, they fell in love and are now man and wife.

Now the really exciting part of the story is that Guim is going to continue his trip to arrive here for the Olympic games, and is bringing ThuyAnh with him. We sent them a second bike a couple of weeks ago, they are now in training before they set off.

West lake hanoi LD.jpg

Guim has posted a new video on his website to introduce us all to his new bride! Have a look, it's lovely!

EBWT 2.0 / 1 on Vimeo

I LOVE this business! :D

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Into Laos

Another Video as they cross into Laos and out of Vietnam.

Crossing into laos on Vimeo

For anyone who is interested here is a potted history of the tour so far; :)

Guim Valls Teruel (from Barcelona, Spain) began the Electric Bicycle World Tour (EBWT) in June 2009 from Beijing, China. EBWT started as an experience never attempted before by someone on a solar powered electric bicycle, an alternative form of personal transport highlighting the use of cleaner energy sources instead of relying on combustion engines. Electric bicycles are a great means of transport especially for commuting bringing people into cycling that would never have considered getting out of their car.

Sometimes stories normally confined to the silver screen became reality. When Guim cycled through Vietnam more than a year ago he fell in love with Thuy Anh Nguyen, a Vietnamese TV journalist who interviewed him in Hanoi in 2009. He continued pedalling through South-east Asia and Oceania, until returning to Vietnam to be with her again. They were married on 20th of January 2011, requested a second Wisper electric bicycle and and in February they set out together from Hanoi en rout to London.

Guim has already ridden more than 15,000 km since he left Beijing, now together they will keep pedalling to London to be here in the summer of 2012. People on their rout are getting ready to welcome EBWT as they travel through; Laos, Thailand, India, Pakistan, Iran, Turkey, Greece, Albania, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, France, Spain, France, Belgium, Netherlands and England.

EBWT truly believes in the success of their campaign called “Electric Smiles :e)” An electric smile e:) is a natural reaction that occurs when anyone rides an electric bicycle for the first time. "On your first electric bicycle test ride your smile will be huge", says Guim, and ads "but the most amazing thing I have notice since this project started, is that all electric bikes users keep their smile".

Throughout their journey, Guim and ThuyAnh will encounter many different cultures and be engaged in hundreds of small meetings and offering test rides, while spreading the electric smile :e) through many different countries and peoples. Demonstrating that even such long and daunting journeys can be undertaken, using clean and often renewable energy from solar panels attached to Guim's trailer.

EBWT's mission is to further empower people in environmental sustainability. EBWT does this by connecting communities at the grassroots and inspiring local initiatives.

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
EBWT in India 2

News paper report in India....

Guim in india 100kb.jpg

I can't wait for them to get to Europe, they will be riding through the UK next year it would be amazing to get as many Wisper riders as possible to accompany them on the way to the Olympic stadium!

All the best

David