Electric bikes are a "menace to little children and society"

polyphasic

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
eddieo mentioned in a comment that ebikes were banned in NYC, so I've been reading recent articles. Appears there is an aggressive campaign to push for enforcement of the law. A bill by NYC council member Jessica Lappin that was introduced a on Feb 29th to double the fine for riding on an electric bike from $500 to $1000 passed on April 12th. Her issue is she stated her office has been receiving complaints of delivery bikes going 30mph claiming in a recent survey 72% of constituents said they'd "been hit or almost hit" by a delivery bike. She claims electric bikes converged on her from multiple directions. Sounds like a good cult horror film like Attack of the Killer Tomatoes or an ebike version of Christine.

Both represent the Upper East Side and of course they had David Pollack from the Taxi Safety committee involved calling bikes a "menace to little children" and "a menace to society" claiming he was almost hit twice on his most recent walk outside. :rolleyes: Now I couldn't imagine what kind of financial motives a taxi organization could have against alternative means of transportation. State Senator Liz Krueger used the infant card claiming babies were in danger when mothers are pushing carriages. You always know there's something fishy when politicians and their taxi organization uses the kid card together to argue how unsafe electric bikes are to kids. She is also pushing to fine both the restaurant and the driver.

I knew they have been cracking down on biking infractions such as running red lights, riding on sidewalks, etc. with hefty fines. They even have police waiting at the end of parks to catch people merely riding across a sidewalk from the park to the road. In other words, you should get off your bike and walk it across the sidewalk to get to the road. Riding those few feet across a sidewalk will get you a ticket. I could see myself thinking oh I'll just leave this park and look both ways and ride across to get to the street.

What's more concerning than the hefty fine of $1000 is that they can and do confiscate electric bikes.

So I guess the lesson here is the more stealth your electric kit can be and the more you abide by the laws of the roads, the less likely you'll get your bike confiscated. It's another reason I like the idea of a bike that requires pedaling for the assistance, thus minimizing the electric bike riding look.

Watch out for those Upper East Side baby strollers and grandmas folks!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/nyregion/for-food-delivery-workers-speed-tips-and-fear-on-wheels.html?pagewanted=all

New York City Clamps Down on Electric Bikes | ELECTRICBIKE.COM

Last edited:

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
Amazing ban e-bikes, but can go in to a gun shop and buy a assault weapons

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Cars and trucks no problem....but you can see the attention illegal bikes can generate!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And not just New York, the state of Illinois has a total ban on e-bikes which is very much enforced.

One big problem for e-bikes in the USA is the inconsistency of state laws, for example Connecticut and Idaho permit 30 mph assist, while Louisiana and Pennsylvania permit 25 mph assist. That means there's going to be kit readily available to meet that demand, which can just as easily find it's way into other areas.

I was aware of the moves to enforce the ban in New York, which would be very bad news for Nycewheels, the e-bike dealer based there. I would have hoped in these environmentally concerned times they'd have removed the ban and at least used the Federal law on e-bikes, 750 watts and 20 mph assist limits.

polyphasic

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
...or over bloated assault Hum-burgers...
haha, that would never get banned though I will say the calorie counts on chain menus required by NYC law are pretty telling. 1474 calories for large fries at Five Guys. Bloomberg's latest ban proposal are sugary drinks above 16 ounces.

Last edited:

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
It kind-of makes you quite proud of our little nation...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
It would only take a few incidents/accidents to hit the news for a similar situation to arise here..most drivers look at cyclists as a hindrance at best, and resent that they use the roads for free. How dare they get in their way and hold them up.. Intolerance is growing by the week already with the amount of cyclists jumping red lights......

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
Cars and trucks no problem....but you can see the attention illegal bikes can generate!
I think you're missing the point that in NY ALL ebikes are illegal, regardless of speed or power.

Also, the ban isn't driven by safety concern - it's not a response to someone doing 25mph on the sidewalk - it's motivated by greed and protectionism - how dare someone use a FREE mode of transport in NY!

jazper53

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 20, 2012
Brighton
I think you're missing the point that in NY ALL ebikes are illegal, regardless of speed or power.

Also, the ban isn't driven by safety concern - it's not a response to someone doing 25mph on the sidewalk - it's motivated by greed and protectionism - how dare someone use a FREE mode of transport in NY!
It sounds very cynical but that how America seems to operates. May i suggest adding a couple machine guns built into the bikes and ur have a whole band of americans believing its their right to own one, and have the support of the gun lobby.

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
NYC have not banned e-bikes, they are already banned there. All they have done is double the fine and perhaps allow confiscation.
As usual, ragbag politicians scrambling for votes have use over emotional scenarios to fool the people.
Up until now, it seems that the NY Police were not that concerned, but after this, no doubt there will be a crack down.
The problem always has been in the USA and China that people use e-bikes that have moped like power and therefore moped like crashes. Couple this with the desire of politicians to encourage cycling and you have a dangerous mix of unqualified drivers on mopeds.
All that needs to be done is enforce/adopt EU law.
The e-bike that we know and love is no more powerful than an ordinary bike.
In fact, I reckon that my arthritic limbs coupled with my puny 200 watt motor do not equal Lance Armstrong.
The 'banning' of throttles is a pity, although legislation does not exactly say that, merely that power must be obtained by turning the pedals. There will be grounds under the 'spirit' of UK Disability Discrimnation law to challenge this.

Reactions: TedG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The 'banning' of throttles is a pity, although legislation does not exactly say that, merely that power must be obtained by turning the pedals. There will be grounds under the 'spirit' of UK Disability Discrimination law to challenge this.
No chance, since e-bikes are not motor vehicles in law. They are merely bicycles with added assistance that are exempted from most motor vehicle regulations. If someone cannot pedal a normal bike, they will not be able to claim this discrimination for one with added assistance, since the additional facility could not apply to them.

n0ct0

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 17, 2012
North Yorks Moors(ish)
Lappin Bill Would Make E-Bike Riding Twice as Pricey as Killing With a Car | Streetsblog New York City

"We do know that in Lappin’s district, 29 pedestrians and six cyclists were killed by drivers between 1995 and 2009, while motorists injured 3,463 pedestrians and 974 cyclists during the same time span, according to DMV data compiled by Transportation Alternatives’ CrashStat. We know that $1000 rivals or exceeds the fines for many moving violations, including speeding and failure to yield. And we know that in the rare instance when punishment is administered at all, the prevailing penalty for a driver who fatally runs down a pedestrian is $500.

So by all means, let’s get a handle on the e-bike nuisance. But let’s also get our priorities straight."

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Excellent points n0ct0!

Hopefully due to the, now seemingly ever so sensible, 25kph/250W rules in Europe we won't see so many injuries or bad press.

In the US 30mph 1HP electric bikes are legal in most states. So couple all the kinetic energy created by a 30KG bike with a 100KG rider traveling at 30mph and then try and stop the bike on cheap V brakes and race tyres! An accident waiting to happen. I for one am not surprised.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
hefty fine of $1000 is that they can and do confiscate electric bikes.
I'd go along with that if applied across the board.....motorist's cars confiscated for...
... speeding...jumping lights...driving whilst holding a mobile phone...killing children...I could go on :)