Electric bikes banned in Shenzen China, How absurd!!

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
How about this then they mainly use cheap lead acid battery's that last approx 3 months

That is 480 Million lead acid battery's a YEAR dumped in ditches polluting the water supply with LEAD and acid

Frank
That is also a problem as the small batteries aren't wanted by the scrap men - they have a glut of better Western scrap thanks to our throwaway society being "greenwashed" recently so folk are encouraged to recycle without a domestic outlet for much of the scrap.

I still think this issue is being spun a bit by Western media and minds, folk projecting their dislike of China's political system into their views whereas the reality is this is a somewhat mundane domestic issue of traffic laws in a sovereign nation, which most countries have been through at some point in their development as road usage patterns change.

Interestingly, if you read the articles in the China Daily newspaper which must be approved by the state if not overtly controlled by them, the bike dealers feel safe enough to openly state their anger and defiance of the authorities to the journalists of a globally published news outlet.

Given what can happen to dissenters in China, that the dealers are brazen enough to do this does make me feel that this is much more the start of a "negotiation/debate" process between road users, authorities and manufacturers than a pernmanent blanket ban on e-bikes.

I can however see why "Western" manufacturers are jittery as a sudden greater shift to BS EN whatever type "Western" bikes by domestic Chinese manufacturers (as opposed to these being specifically made on contract for export) may of course mean more being exported and could start eroding the slim margins of incumbent manufacturers..

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The ban in Shenzhen was inevitable-I don't think it absurd.

David,
I think the problem of e-bikes in China is of absolutely no control or road safety practices.
I was staying in the Sheraton Hotel in Houjie,very close to Shenzhen. Anyone who knows that major junction knows it's a 6 lane road in 4 directions,to get across that road is a life threatening event for the traffic comes from every direction,the lions share of the traffic are high speed silent e-bikes.
I was once waiting for the lights to change red and in a crowd of dozens of people,the lights changed and suddenly an e-bike moped style came the wrong way round the corner and didn't realise the lights had changed,he swerved round me but hit the young guy to my left,sadly the lad was badly hurt and taken to hospital.
This story highlights the problem in China,these e-bikes are too heavy(mainly old lead acid batteries),ridden by untrained riders who often ignore traffic rules,they are so quiet you cannot hear them coming.
I don't blaim the authorities banning them,they should have introduced EN15194 rules years ago and policed their application and maybe the outcome of this ban will be some sensible restrictions and training.
You have to understand that most of these machines are more akin to small mopeds and scooters than bicycles.
Sorry David I don't think this ban is absurd and I know you spend a lot of time in China,you must have seen this coming.
Thank goodness our authorities used sense when drafting the EN 15194 rules,with luck this may be our protection from these bikes being over policed in Europe and allowing us the freedom to enjoy these bikes without similar intervention.
While on that point I am fed up many on this forum who want to overpower these machines with illegal high powered motors,if there is ever an accident with one of these high powered bikes it could mean that we would all be 'tarred with the same brush' and current legal bikes being reclassified as mopeds.
Dave Elderield
MD,Kudos Cycles

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David

I absolutely understand your point.

The reason I beleive the outright ban on electric bikes absurd has been well demonstrated in you post. The main problem is not the bikes but the way they are ridden. No one in China seems to take highway regulations seriously, this is the problem that needs solving. I would bet that 99% of all electric bike related injuries are due to a flagrant disrespect of the rules of the road.

All the best David

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
David,I still think the power/weight of the bikes is wrong

David,
I agree with you about lack of adherance to highway regs in China but I disagree about the the bikes-the bike in my story spun across the road and I walked over to assist the rider and pick his bike up-it was very heavy and very powerful,it was difficult to stop. If these bikes had only 250 watt motors,weight less than 30 kgs and max 15mph assisted speed they would all be travelling slower,accidents would be rarer-perhaps no more than with conventional bikes and fatalaties considerably reduced. But no asian would buy one because compared to these high powered bikes,which are really electric motorbikes, they would be considered slow and boring.
On this website are suppliers offering 1000 watt and even 1800 watt e-bikes,albeit they state for off road use only and yet their customers state in testimonials how exciting these bikes are to use on the roads...thank goodness these machines are relatively rare for if they were numerate we could be faced with similar problems to China-if you want to go fast buy a Ducati motorbike!
As BEBA Chair I do expect you to openly condemn these illegal bikes and we all know the suppliers who are pushing their usage before an accident affects us all. Last week,I accompanied a prospective customer along the Herne Bay sea promenade,a sparkling day with the tide in,smell of the sea,the electric motor working hard against the headwind but it was so enjoyable,we carefully enjoyed the experience with walkers
enjoying the bracing conditions-I cannot imagine we would have been so welcome on 1000 watt electric bikes doing 30 mph! and that is what we should all avoid-the irresponsible and selfish few could spoil the enjoyment of the responsible majority.
Dave Elderfield
MD,Kudos Cycles

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi David

I agree with you 100% it is not the electric bikes causing the problems it is people flouting the law and riding ilegal machines illegally!

There is a place for more powerful and faster electric bikes but they must be considered and treated in law as mopeds or motorbikes and not EPACs.

All the best

David

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I see suggestions that we should make these bikes noisier,that would be the last solution in China...try sleeping in a hotel room alongside a major road,chinese car drivers have a love affair with the horn please don't give them something to make more noise...a thousand chinese e-bikes with some form of electronic buzzer would be a horrible noise....remember the vuvuzela (hope I spelt that right) in the South African World Cup!
Does anyone know the accidents and fatality numbers of conventional bikes and/or pedestrians?Most of our pedelecs are closer to conventional bikes than mopeds and that is right.
The solution is for the chinese authorities is to educate the riders and slow these bikes down and maybe that is what the Shenzhen authorities have in mind,hence the temporary ban....less power and lighter weight would overcome a lot of the problems.
I must agree there are often other motives in moving the populace away from e-bikes...in Guangzhou the brand new metro system was largely ignored in favour of e-bikes and hence the loss of revenue was a concern but I don't think that is the situation in Shenzhen.
Dave Elderfield
KudosCycles

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
No Dave, there is no Metro in shenzhen yet. Dick my opo in Shenzhen thinks it's a temporary measure so they can start enforcing the law when they are allowed back on the road.

I remember about five years ago there were thousands of stinky, noisy mopeds on the roads of Shanghai. I was told to cure the problem the Gvt one day announced that annual duty on these machines was to go up to about £250.00. The day the new tax came into law police road blocks we set up all over the city with skips along side. Any moped found without the new tax plate was confiscated and thrown onto the skip! Thos may offend our western ideals of fair play but it was certainly very effective!

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Regarding the electric bike riders of Shenzhen flouting the law, the current regs for electric bikes in Shenzhen are 20kph, 240W, throttle only, so the majority of electric bike riders are riding illegally. Dick our China manager believes this move was tactical and electric bikes will be seen again back on the road but any outside the law will be seized.

All the best David