Electric Brompton

C

Cyclezee

This bike was being sold on eBay in January and it has come to light that it is stolen.
I was the winning bidder without realising it as I was in the Canary Islands at the time having placed a bid via Lotsnipe for quite bit more than the winning bid. I did not collect or pay for the bike. The seller could not or would not supply the serial or frame number so that I could check it's authenticity. He or she, clearly did not know much about the bike which further raised my suspicions. The seller was annoyed that I did not complete the transaction and apparently sold the bike elsewhere.

The Metropolitan Police are on the case and if anyone knows it's whereabouts please contact:
Lee Honey PC 209ST
lee.honey@met.police.uk
Cycle Task Force
Palestra
197 Blackfriars Road
Southwark
London
SE1 8NJ

Photos from eBay
!CB0JrGgBmk~$(KGrHqJ,!hgE0fnpVpE0BNJHQNZogw~~_12.jpg!CB0KNG!!Wk~$(KGrHqZ,!jIE0G46bj8TBNJHRmnP9!~~_12.jpg

!CB0KViQBmk~$(KGrHqN,!hcE0iM6q7ikBNJHR7!ynw~~_14.jpg!CB0Kee!Bmk~$(KGrHqN,!iME0HTqkL)ZBNJHSRSz+g~~_12.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I wonder why they didnt contact the seller would of been a smarter thing to do :confused:

C

Cyclezee

I wonder why they didnt contact the seller would of been a smarter thing to do :confused:

I would imagine that was the first course of action taken by the Police, but I doubt if the seller was very coopereative or could not be traced:confused:
Anyhow, it is nice to know they are making an effort recover stolen bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
Sounds like you made a good call there Aldby and kudos to the police for actually following up.

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I am never going to sell you a stolen bike Aldby as I dont fancy the pigs at my door :D

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
Well I think the Police Cycle Task Force is a great idea and should be rolled out nationwide (in my dreams).

I saw a clip of a documentary the other day about Policing (or such) on the Isle of Sheppey (or somewhere similar). It was amusing as the Police were trying to catch a bike thief and planted an unlocked bike (whilst watching covertly). Along comes a woman who claims she 'thinks' it has been abandoned and they tracked her to her home - where she left it in her back garden and then claimed she was going to phone the Police later - AND they believed her! (I didn't). So they set the trap again..... by this point I had to leave the house so I've no idea who they caught next time, if any.:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The theft of the popular-with-commuters Bromptons is a major problem in London, and many of their owners are very high profile people, including the Prime Minister and the London Mayor. The mayor Boris Johnson has certainly had two stolen during his mayoralty and actually claims it has been six over time, so these thefts are naturally very much a priority for the Metropolitan Police.

C

Cyclezee

I got an update from PC Honey yesterday regarding the stolen Brompton. They have arrested someone and would like me to provide a statement.

Well done the boys in blue;)

eBikes London Support

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2011
Nicked from Guardian for those who missed it
Have fun
Dermot

The rise of violent bicycle muggings

The number of cyclists who lose their rides in brazen robberies has increased alarmingly – be on the lookout

• Peter Kimpton: Thieve stole my bike while I was going 20mph
• Bike thief tells how to stop your cycle from being stolen
Bike blog: bike mugging : A courier padlocks his bike
Bike theft is not limited to bike stands. Photograph: Jason Alden/Rex Features

Bike theft has always been a problem, and probably always will be, but there are worrying signs that it is becoming more serious.

Chris Abitbol, 25, had cycled in London without incident for five years, until a friend was yanked from his bike by a group of men and badly beaten. They took his phone, wallet and bike and left him lying injured in the street.

Just two days later, at 7pm on a summer's night in south London, the same thing nearly happened to Chris.

While cycling past a teenager on a mountain bike, he heard him whistle and noticed him gesturing to a group of four or five men further along the road.

When he got level with them, it became clear he'd been singled out as a victim.

"This kid just swung at me, to the face, and I managed to avoid it. I was ready for it and I swerved. I could feel his fist fly past my neck. Another kid swung at me and missed completely."

Chris managed to escape injury, keep his bike and report the incident to the police just a few minutes later, although the men were never caught.

Had he not known about his friend's attack, though, he could have rolled naively straight into an ambush.

A search of the London Fixed-gear and Single-speed forum (LFGSS), home to more than 24,000 cyclists from all over the UK and beyond, shows that attacks like this are more common than we would like to think.

Several people over the past year have been robbed, one beaten with his own bike lock by a thief who then rode away on his bike.

And the problem is not confined to large cities.

Lee Robson from Cheltenham had a £2,000 mountain bike stolen last month, and is still recovering from the injuries he sustained trying to stop the thief.

He was unlocking his front door with his bike leaning against his hip when a man snatched it from him and ran.

"It was a bit brazen. I ended up chasing him down the road. I don't think he'd thought I'd really come at him that fast," he said.

In the chase he fell and was injured, badly cutting his legs, hand and knees.

"I'm not sure what would have happened if I'd managed to get hold of him. This guy had probably seen me with it at the pub. He must have been right behind me all the way. That's very calculating."

Police are treating is as a robbery, but Lee suspects it could have become more serious if he had managed to tackle the thief.

Whether or not this level of violence is a growing trend is hard to say. Despite having figures on bicycle thefts and robberies, the government don't keep information on crimes that straddle the two.

But, anecdotally, it is growing, perhaps fuelled only by the higher number of cyclists on the roads and the increasing cost of the bicycles they ride.

Cycle insurer ETA has seen four times as many cases of "bicycle mugging" in the first three months of this year alone than it did in the whole of 2009, even adjusted for an increase in policies.

The last thing we want at the Bike blog is to scaremonger or make cyclists paranoid, but, like Chris, if you are aware of it, hopefully you can avoid it.

Sticking to a well-trodden path at night is probably wise, as is stopping, turning back and taking another route if you suspect something is up.

Despite these stories, I have always felt safer on a bike than when walking, supposing that I could get away from any trouble quickly, and I still believe that's true.

Although there are plenty of these horror stories, there are a lot more cyclists – bicycle mugging is still very rare.