Electric Fat Bike Interest In UK?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Fat bike + 1000w bbs someone will do it soon probably on ES.

Reactions: trex

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there is a 1300w 1 or 750w mid drive fat bike ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Reactions: VictoryV

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
I ride a Fat 6 to and from work every day, some 25 miles. I am currently on a beach in Donaratico riding it. a fat e bike is exactly the same as any other Emtb. the difference is it goes anywhere. check out Emtb coaching's video of the fat6 in Snowdonia. buy a fat bike....you will not need any other bike..bit like driving a landrover defender as your every day car...either you get it or you don't..pointless discussing it in theory...get out and try some....the Full Fat 6 is the best bike ever made. Period.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id like to see you go down hill taking 2 meter high jumps on it at 35 mph.

the difference is it goes anywhere.

cant fly ;)

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the comparison of the Haibike Fatsix with the Range Rover is interesting. Still, I can't see how Haibike can justify a price tag of £3,900 for the Fatsix.

Reactions: EddiePJ
C

Cyclezee

Comments from Wai Won Ching, eZeebike CEO.

Ironing out the bugs and recent fad ? Fat bikes have been around for more than 5 years from Surly, only 2 years ago it started to become more popular all of a sudden. No need to iron out any bugs with eZee, that is the difference. We have 15 years of experience with designing ebikes. It took me 2 years to sort out every detail.

The Haibike and KTM are at about 2700+, whereas eZee is at 1395 about 1/2 the price with really comparable specs and more. Even if I up-grade to those 10 speed sprockets and derailleur and use Magura MTe hydraulic brakes with electrical cut off with cost another 150 GBP.

Regarding other electric Fat bikes, do they have lights ? Mudguards ? Kick Stand ?
If they go into the rain or muddy fields they will be covered with mud and dirt.

As for the tyres, those that Haibike and KTM have are a big mistake.
I rode them, they have big studs, and terrible vibration on the road that really tickle your butt.

Our tyres are smooth and specially compounded for snow and low temp. I could have tried Schwalbe too, but on testing it was not good, nor did I choose the clones from China. I bought from Vee Rubber in Thailand, this is the best fat bike tyre. There is a huge difference between Big Apple which are virtually slicks, 2.35" vs 3.5 " for fat bike.
I believe that I made a bike with great performance, quality, reliability, and value for money that is a match for bikes that are twice the price

Best regards

W W Ching

Latest e-Rex photos, full spec will be added to Cyclezee website later today.
e-REX 2.jpg e-REX tyres.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: flecc

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
Could be a market among farmers who have to do early morning rounds of their properties and not wake up people on the estate.

But British people generally are so conservative, they mostly drive samey cars which are all grey or black or blue and invisible -this is the country which disapproved of unusual people and things for years because they were just different. I don't know how much that has changed. I guess all trends have to start somehow, maybe WWC could loan some of these to Towie bods or young bands to play around with and so get some photos in the press and on twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Sherman

Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
I guess mr Wai Won Ching doesn't get mountain biking at all :-D Slick tyres for snow and low temps?

That front chain ring looks huge, how many teeth? I guess only way to ride that bike is on full power?

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Could be a market among farmers who have to do early morning rounds of their properties and not wake up people on the estate.

But British people generally are so conservative, they mostly drive samey cars which are all grey or black or blue and invisible -this is the country which disapproved of unusual people and things for years because they were just different. I don't know how much that has changed. I guess all trends have to start somehow, maybe WWC could loan some of these to Towie bods or young bands to play around with and so get some photos in the press and on twitter.
I agree - in fact I think there's more than just conservatism. when I lock my bog standard btwin triban with oxygen kit to a lamppost where I live with I must admit a hefty kryptonite lock in the town main street I usually get a least three or four comments (usually one nice one from someone interested in electric bikes, two or three wondering, with degrees of irony/sarcasm, "what a hefty lock it is?" etc etc). I really wouldn't want to go through the same experience with all the additional attention a fat bike would bring. to say British culture doesn't approve of extraversion might be an understatement

Reactions: jonathan75
We had a similar discussion recently. It appears they've put an RRP on it that high, but no dealers actually sell it for that. They do this so they can promise dealers a certain margin that in reality isn't achievable. Its essentially trade based marketing by maths.
Comments from Wai Won Ching, eZeebike CEO.

Ironing out the bugs and recent fad ? Fat bikes have been around for more than 5 years from Surly, only 2 years ago it started to become more popular all of a sudden. No need to iron out any bugs with eZee, that is the difference. We have 15 years of experience with designing ebikes. It took me 2 years to sort out every detail.

The Haibike and KTM are at about 2700+, whereas eZee is at 1395 about 1/2 the price with really comparable specs and more. Even if I up-grade to those 10 speed sprockets and derailleur and use Magura MTe hydraulic brakes with electrical cut off with cost another 150 GBP.

Regarding other electric Fat bikes, do they have lights ? Mudguards ? Kick Stand ?
If they go into the rain or muddy fields they will be covered with mud and dirt.

As for the tyres,those that Haibike and KTM hare is a big mistake.
I rode them, they have big studs, and terrible vibration on the road that really tickle your butt.

Our tyres are smooth and specially compounded for snow and low temp. I could have tried Schwalbe too, but on testing it was not good, nor did I choose the clones from China. I bought from Vee Rubber in Thailand, this is the best fat bike tyre. There is a huge difference between Big Apple which are basically slicks, 2.35" vs 3.5 " for fat bike.
I believe that I made a bike with great performance, quality, reliability, and value for money that is a match for bikes that are twice the price

Best regards

W W Ching

Latest e-Rex photos, full spec will be added to Cyclezee website later today.
View attachment 12217 View attachment 12218
some pretty scary statements in there... and a lack of understanding of what an MTB is about for most people.

How within the space of 20 words he can criticise a bike because you'll get muddy riding it offroad and then say the tyres aren't suitable for road! Its a MOUNTAIN BIKE for riding in lots of conditions, not a product made to look a bit like a fat bike in the hope of trading off the concept.

and f.y.i... the Haibike is £3999.99 by the looks of it. Can't quite work out why. The KTM Macina Freeze is £2849.99 - so a pretty big difference there.

But you can't compare either of these to the eZee... because I'm afraid that isn't a fat bike. Its a bike with big tyres, which is a very different beast and that bike is proabably aimed at people who want to ride round town and looking like they are on a fat bike.

If you want to get one, and want to put this guys comments that his bike is a match for the bikes twice the price, I'm sure we can find loads of people to independently test that claim. I'll arrange the KTM and I'm sure its possible to source a Haibike.

C

Cyclezee

We had a similar discussion recently. It appears they've put an RRP on it that high, but no dealers actually sell it for that. They do this so they can promise dealers a certain margin that in reality isn't achievable. Its essentially trade based marketing by maths.

some pretty scary statements in there... and a lack of understanding of what an MTB is about for most people.

How within the space of 20 words he can criticise a bike because you'll get muddy riding it offroad and then say the tyres aren't suitable for road! Its a MOUNTAIN BIKE for riding in lots of conditions, not a product made to look a bit like a fat bike in the hope of trading off the concept.

and f.y.i... the Haibike is £3999.99 by the looks of it. Can't quite work out why. The KTM Macina Freeze is £2849.99 - so a pretty big difference there.

But you can't compare either of these to the eZee... because I'm afraid that isn't a fat bike. Its a bike with big tyres, which is a very different beast and that bike is proabably aimed at people who want to ride round town and looking like they are on a fat bike.

If you want to get one, and want to put this guys comments that his bike is a match for the bikes twice the price, I'm sure we can find loads of people to independently test that claim. I'll arrange the KTM and I'm sure its possible to source a Haibike.
Seriously you make me laugh. Nowhere does WWC mention an MTB.
As for the rest of your derisory comments, they are just what I would expect, totally dismissive of anything that isn't KTM.

Last edited by a moderator:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Bosch Performance motor is good but does it have good enough torque to go on a fat bike? if it's my fat bike, it has to be something like a 750W BBS02 with 36T ring.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
OMG Tony, that must be the fastest eZee Quando on the planet;)
It is indeed, great bike. Wanting to still pedal at 30mph with it's 20" wheels, the 60 tooth chain ring was the only option, short of a 5 tooth rear sprocket. ;)

The supersize chainring was a French Zenith one, supplied by cycle engineers Highpath.

Reactions: VictoryV
C

Cyclezee

Just to clarify a point that some people seem to be missing, we are not suggesting that every one should get a fat bike, just that anyone looking for a fat bike could consider the E-REX.

The e-Rex is good for riding on paved roads as well as off-road.

As for the gear ratios, they work perfectly well from 6 to 25 Km/h with eZee's proven high torque motor.

Finally, it's not a mountain bike, but if that is what you want check out the eZee Raptor.

Specifications for both bikes can be seen via the following links:
http://cyclezee.com/ezee-e-rex.html
http://cyclezee.com/ezee-raptor.html

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
At Eurobike every major supplier had a Fat Bike on their stand. I got the impression they had one just in case it got popular and not risking being left out of the game.
My impression is that they are of novelty value....I saw some riding remote from the show but usually by young guys who thought they looked cool but we're riding them on normal cycle tracks not off road.
Eurobike seemed stronger bias towards Pedelecs than ever...Pedelecs seemed to be placed at the prime position on every stand. There is a Germanic influence on style with some very aggressive and military like frame shapes.
KTM seemed to have decided that their current range covers most requirements,they have tweaked the graphics and packaged specification more sensibly rather than release many new models.
There was one new bike from a new manufacturer that seemed to cleanly get the pedelecs - moped style about right,I am hoping to present a sample at the NEC cycle show,late September...sorry no further photos and spec at this time.
We stayed in Konstanz,still Germany but over the Swiss side of the lake,the town has cycle tracks everywhere,the roads are biased towards bikes rather than cars or even pedestrians....everybody cycles in their work clothes,Lycra is rare,the bikes are mainly commuter style,most step thru's,pedelecs are 30%,all ages ride pedelecs,mountain style bikes and small wheeled folders are very rare.
The rides through the vineyards at the back of Meersberg and Friedrichshaven are wonderful,all on dedicated,smooth cycle tracks....a great area for a cycling holiday.
If you want to go to Eurobike you need to book hotels now for 2016.
KudosDave

Seriously you make me laugh. Nowhere does WWC mention an MTB.
As for the rest of your derisory comments, they are just what I would expect, totally dismissive of anything that isn't KTM.
I love loads of bikes, and I just spent two days at Eurobike playing a very good game of "what would I buy"... and I am very very much not dismissive of many many things that aren't KTM. I worked for 20+ years in the bike industry before I started working for KTM, and anyone / everyone who knows me will back me u on this. If I product is good, no matter what the brand I'll happily praise it. And it wasn't me that started this... you posted mentioning KTM and Haibike, I've just responded.

The fact your now not claiming that this bike is a fat bike but not an MTB, reallly shows that this guy doesn't know what Fat Bikes are and very much should not be slagging KTM and Haibike for being "twice the price" when I think its clear for everyone to see that what he's produced is very much not a fat bike... its a bike with bigger tyres, jumping on the bandwagon to make something that "looks" a bit like a fat bike to try to capture a part of the market that he clearly hopes just want the look and none of the other benefits this type of bike are actually built to offer people.

I have no problem with that... but don't try to claim that the cost savings, are done to actually make a better bike! If that was the case the big brands would be doing that, we all compete with each other, so if those tyres were better for fat bikes, do you not think someone else would be using them?

As I say, more than happy to provide a KTM one, and I'll even sort the other brands too... for any impartial individual to test the fat eBikes against this bike from eZee.

Lumos

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2015
I own this bike, the Lectric Cycles 750W. It can be fun; but you really have to keep changing the tyre pressures to match the mission. In an urban setting with around 22psi it rolls quite nicely (on my Husker Dü tyres) and shrugs off super wide grates, potholes etc. On steep downhill loose shale an air pressure of 4psi allows the tyre to conform around the rocks and always keep a secure footprint on something hard. The grip can be astonishing. On fresh soft powder the bike is all sorts of fun, but on wet snow I could not stay upright. On soft mud it glides over the top where my Haibike AMT Pro digs in. But the bike is so heavy and then you realise how a good suspension spoils us. It is really tough on the arms but adding suspension forks would increase the weight even more. I have the Nuvinci hub on mine and the pedals run out before 20mph. It is great to follow it up a mountain seeing the rear tyre deform due to the power and the terrain but never spins. Sadly the speed sensor robs from me all the pleasure as the Bosch system has spoiled me.

Reactions: JohnCade and trex