electric moped fault

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can use the charger to discharge the cells and see what the real capacity of them is but it is a gamble as lower than 2000mah the hole lot will be a bin job but someone might buy them for flash lights.

does it say the capacity on the cells wrapper ?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I would stop throwing money at the project now and call it a day, you have spent money on a donkey and tried your best.

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

my magicshine light is 8000lm and uses 6 18650 cells and at that power only lasts about 1hr so just cut and pull off all the nickle strip test all the cells are above 3.2v and list them on ebay even if you get 20 quid plus postage it is better than nothing as some one will buy them just for a diy project ect.

DSC_0150_01_01.JPG

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
I would stop throwing money at the project now and call it a day, you have spent money on a donkey and tried your best.
No I’m not spending anymore on moped I know when to stop. But if AliExpress replaces battery well at least I can sell as working. And if just a refund well can still sell as spares and repair. Well not repair really is it as works with a battery. one Agent said to me on AliExpress I would get a full refund if I sent battery back, but just a partial refund if I keep it. I thought that’s bloody stupid as it weighs loads. Plus I have already told them it’s outside as dangerous. I honestly don’t think these agents know sod all.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One wouldn't be allowed to send it back.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
One wouldn't be allowed to send it back.
Exactly.

I am just waiting now to see if anything happens with AliExpress, regarding battery. I'm not banking on anything, But that battery was just 8 months old. I am not expecting a full refund, but would be nice if I got part refund. But in all honesty I should really get a full refund or a replacement battery. be nice if I got a replacement, then that would be great. as at least then a buyer can see it running. But when its as spares or repair. well they only have my word it runs. ok. Just needs a battery. but if I just get a partial refund well better than sod all. I can still sell as repair. I'm no hurry to sell anyway, but 100% no way am I paying out anymore money on it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i just tried to buy a new batt for my bike and was told 18 month waiting list tried the local ebike shop and cant get any at all even for retail price :eek:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
i just tried to buy a new batt for my bike and was told 18 month waiting list tried the local ebike shop and cant get any at all even for retail price :eek:

Are agents on AliExpress school kids. mind you probably would be more brainier than the agents there, as I've never known a thick lot I've chatted now to 7 and its like when you go on to them, not 1 knows what's been said by other agents, like they say what's your problem. urghh HELLO I think don't you know, then they go all through stuff again can you upload images etc. it just seems to me not 1 take down notes etc. I get told to upload images video which i have done. now I have had a top agent and has said I am a good customer and he will do his best, but then again is he same as all rest.

No way am I spending more money on this Moped. NO way that's 200% too. But even if I get a partial refund well better than none at all But battery was just 8 months old.

giphy.gif

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well i did find a batt and in stock but wont fkn post it so now off to Hereford to pick it up as closest store to me.

that must be the only one in stock in the hole of the uk and it was only delivered today so had to pay it or i just wont be able to get one.

i must have spent fkn 10k plus on this fkn thing but now it is brand new again :p

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
well i did find a batt and in stock but wont fkn post it so now off to Hereford to pick it up as closest store to me.

that must be the only one in stock in the hole of the uk and it was only delivered today so had to pay it or i just wont be able to get one.

i must have spent fkn 10k plus on this fkn thing but now it is brand new again :p
bloody hell £600 what you got a space rocket bike lol

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Plas man

Pedelecer
May 12, 2022
to be honest Billyboya , by destroying the batery you have invalidated the gaurantee ,it should have been left in one piece , they could refuse replacement or cash , and cost to return would be prohibited - they know that , and could want it back to examine .

best of luck

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
In another couple of years its going to be classed as an antique ;)
on the other place they think antique is 3 years old so my bike is a fossil lol.

yet it is 8 years old no cracks in the frame no bearings been torn out the rear triangle and my seat tube also has not snapped in half pmsl.

the new bikes dont do anything for me looks wise there even more heavy with even more expensive batts.

all the gen 4 motor has over mine is 10nm more and can work with there smart displays that i also dont want or will ever use.

wont make me go any faster will it ;)

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
to be honest Billyboya , by destroying the batery you have invalidated the gaurantee ,it should have been left in one piece , they could refuse replacement or cash , and cost to return would be prohibited - they know that , and could want it back to examine .

best of luck
Plas man obviously you have not been reading my previous posts as was told the battery wasn’t safe hence why I had to cut off the wires. Plus battery was delivered on 5. 11. 2021. So 8 months old and nothing saying it was guaranteed. I’m not hopeful for a full refund but you never know I may even get a replacement battery from or partial refund But in honesty I’ve as much chance of kissing the pope.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i got a 3 and half year tyre replaced under warranty cos it was fkn delaminating and no one b4 me got anywhere with that lol.

haibike dont give a $hit and still wont give me the correct pivot bolts for my bike as 2nd hand and dont care if i die they want 50 fkn quid for each one and all was replaced under warranty as was dangerous thats why there are yellow cable ties on the rear pivot bolts so i dont fkn loose them :rolleyes:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Nealh and soundwave can you tell me why my battery had to be placed outside, with leads cut off. I know you said it was dangerous. But in case AliExpress wants to know.

( soundwave ) cell banks 3 and 4 are toast no way to bring them back now cut main power cables from the bms as it is not safe! and put it outside asap
( Nealh )
Yep your battery is toast as SW has put it, as expected the liitokala's for there very cheap price use very suspect cells or very poor BMS. I would say you got your moneys worth but it is a price not worth paying.
Cell group #3 & #4 have bit the dust.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The BMS has failed draining two parallel groups down to 0v or very low voltage, so 12 cells have been killed. At this point not knowing how predictable the other cells or BMS will react it is best practice to place the battery somewhere where it can do no harm to the household occupants.
Cells can self short and cause fires, you have without knowing what the original issue was tried a few times to commence and charge the battery. SW & myself both sussed out the issue from the first time you mentioned the charge & voltage issue not changing, at this point it is wise to isolate the battery safe in case of shorting of cells.
Simply put the battery was and is untrustworthy and your life and well being I assume is more important then keeping a very dodgy battery indoors.

Cutting wires simply removes the series connection and prevents the whole pack remaing live as one unit, it was toast as it was and there is no way any one can post such a battery in that state so the best option was to make the battery as safe as poss.