Help! Electric pedal assist foldable bike on rail replacement bus services

Mukunda

Just Joined
Dec 21, 2023
Hi

I own an electric foldable pedal assist bike and used it as my primary and personal transport for commuting and shopping.

I can't see much information about transporting these bikes in rail replacement buses and some information says they are banned. Transport for London has not banned ebikes as per their Web site.

Anybody has more information about it?

Kind regards

Mukunda

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Hi

I own an electric foldable pedal assist bike and used it as my primary and personal transport for commuting and shopping.

I can't see much information about transporting these bikes in rail replacement buses and some information says they are banned. Transport for London has not banned ebikes as per their Web site.

Kind regards

Mukunda
You really need an answer in writing/email from the operator, because you will need to be able to show the driver just in case.

Practically, in large wheeled cases, I suspect the answer would be no.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
If I folded my e- Brompton and fitted the cover no one would know.
+1

Same here. Although mine when folded does not look at all like an electric bike, which was part of the build logic.

I would be extremly surprised if a folded eBrompton was refused access to a rail replacement bus or any other public transport for that matter.

As we know a lot of 'foldable' eBikes dont fold anywhere near as compact or small as the Brompton and I would assume the propect of refusal of non-Brompton folding bikes is then a lot higher high.

Its an area where the UK population benefit so much from 'privatisations' with all\most of the operators in provate hands its individual companies that decide on the rules and little to no control of common sense stuff from central 'Governement'

However it would be very interesting to know the exact contract requirements of the private operators when a service is cancelled and a replacement bus service is provided.

You might assume that if the eBike in question is accepted on a real World train (if you can find one thats running) then the replacement service should also accept them as in their problem to solve, not yours.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Carriage for my 20" wheeled Bafang BBS01B e-Dahon hasn't been refused yet, on buses and trains. As for the question of replacement buses, the opportunity hasn't presented itself. I did buy a big strong bag for my folded bike, but have neer needed to use it. Nobody has insisted my e-Dahon be covered, so I stopped carrying the bag around. It's a big thick heavy bag.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Does your extensive media library contain images of said bike on a bus?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Does your extensive media library contain images of said bike on a bus?
Why would anyone be interested in viewing a recording of inside a bus? My jawguaded helmet with jawmounted GoPro gets thrown into a large capacity rucksack. It's just more pfaff, when I need to keep an eye on my bike - to record, I'd have to wear the jawguarded helmet with GoPro attached, or detach and hold the camera, after removing it from my large capacity rucksack.

Tell you what, if you're extremely interested in seeing this happening, I'll make a special very short journey which will cost me £1.50, two stops up the hill where I live.

Reactions: matthewslack

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Tell you what, if you're extremely interested in seeing this happening, I'll make a special very short journey which will cost me £1.50, two stops up the hill where I live.
Which part of the World do you live in ?

Busses are free here in Wales.

As long as your over 65 or have a disability of course.

If you want to save the bus fare, post me the bike (with a return envelope of course) and I will see what happens when I take it on a bus in Wales.

• :D
Reactions: Stanebike

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Busses are free here in Wales.

As long as your over 65 or have a disability of course.

If you want to save the bus fare, post me the bike (with a return envelope of course) and I will see what happens when I take it on a bus in Wales.
Point is, it isn't just those expensive Brompton jobbies which can be transported by bus, depending on what your local buses will accept - check T&Cs on local bus and train services websites. I've seen a full sized non-folding MTB be refused carriage, and that discussion became quite lively (I don't have a video recording of that either). But my 20" wheeled Dahon has so far not been refused.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Why would anyone be interested in viewing a recording of inside a bus? My jawguaded helmet with jawmounted GoPro gets thrown into a large capacity rucksack. It's just more pfaff, when I need to keep an eye on my bike - to record, I'd have to wear the jawguarded helmet with GoPro attached, or detach and hold the camera, after removing it from my large capacity rucksack.

No, don't do it specially! I thought it might be reassuring for some to see what is possible. I studiously avoided rail replacement buses on my October trip, but then I'm 700c non folding and with big panniers.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
No, don't do it specially! I thought it might be reassuring for some to see what is possible. I studiously avoided rail replacement buses on my October trip, but then I'm 700c non folding and with big panniers.
I'll overtake a bus sometime and record the short journey. I hate waiting for buses, that's one of the reasons why I got an ebike. My local hill bus has a nasty habit of never turning up - they often miss one out, so you have to wait 40 or 80 minutes for the next one. Some bus companies pretty much state Brompton when describing what sort of folding bike they'll carry, but those same buses have allowed my 20" Dahon.

I suppose replacement bus service contracts are put out to tender, for bus companies to bid on? So policy could be different depending on which bus company has won whichever contract is relevant to the train journey being replaced?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi

Kind regards

Mukunda
Could your folded bike fit inside this? (My Dahon would, after modification of the bag to increase width)

..or:

Add straps, convert this to a rucksack?

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Of the two largest bus companies in my area, this one has allowed my 20" folding Dahon, unbagged, despite saying this in their T&Cs:

"Folding bicycles, safely and securely stowed in the designated luggage area in a suitable bag"

...and the other large bus company doesn't say anything about the folding bike needing to be bagged.

Neither specify a size limit.

No, don't do it specially! I thought it might be reassuring for some to see what is possible.
The performance of my mid-driven Dahon would be too much of a revelation for you. Buy this and try it yourself, film the results. I can't possibly be the only one not experiencing difficulties transporting a 20" folding bike on buses.

Last edited: