"Electric, That's Cheating!"

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
I have had the "That's cheating" comment many times usually when on the move. You need a snappy one liner; academic arguments about energy efficiency and the rest are out.

So in the case of women it goes like this:
"Oh that's cheating."

"So is using a washing machine...."

With men the reply is

"So is using an electric drill."

It works quite well and I leave them pondering on the remark.

Rod

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
I have had the "That's cheating" comment many times usually when on the move. You need a snappy one liner; academic arguments about energy efficiency and the rest are out.

So in the case of women it goes like this:
"Oh that's cheating."

"So is using a washing machine...."

With men the reply is

"So is using an electric drill."

It works quite well and I leave them pondering on the remark.

Rod
Love those! Instant classics! Yep, you can't beat a one-liner put down :D Duly lifted for personal use, Tee hee.

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I do have one put-down that I've used to good effect, though it's not a quickie. I just make an observation about the prodigious amounts of electricity used to produce the materials in their superlight high tech bike which helps them get up the hills so much easier, pointing out that their current was used in advance instead of during journeys.

The added sly observation that if they were serious about being green they'd use a gas brazed old tech all steel bike really shuts them up.
Being Scottish, I find p**s off works just as well..:D

BW
musicbooks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Being Scottish, I find p**s off works just as well..:D

BW
musicbooks
Even we southerners use that, especially ex-army types like me, but I like to stay on good terms with the lycra types that I often see daily, so take the diplomatic option. :)

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Even we southerners use that, especially ex-army types like me, but I like to stay on good terms with the lycra types that I often see daily, so take the diplomatic option. :)
Is that in case an entanglement leads to unavoidable electrocution?

And I don't mean from the panasonic.:D

BW
musicbooks

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
Only two types of persons have made comments on my bikes: Teenagers go for the throttle/pedelec bike and people my age (almost 59) prefer the Panasonic. I would have thought that maybe the opposite would have been the normal thing. What you call the Lycra brigade don´t notice the bikes as the whizz by me...

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Almost every reaction I've had in London has been posititve, experienced cyclists wouldn't attempt to commute as far as I manage and people without bikes are always interested in a better way of getting around London as public transport is so slow.
Once they see that the Wisper looks OK then the expression on their faces changes as they work out the costs and benefits in their heads.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Almost every reaction I've had in London has been posititve, experienced cyclists wouldn't attempt to commute as far as I manage
To give him fair dues, there's a bloke I know of down here who commutes daily from Bodmin to Truro (about 27 miles each way!) on his ordinary road bike. That's a serious commute on some pretty challenging terrain and I certainly would think twice about doing that as a regular commute on my Wisper!
Having said that I think he's really a (poorly) disguised alien - certainly not a normal 'sane' human. I don't know anyone else who comes close!

Phil

seeker

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2008
Go On Poppy!!

Totally agree with you. In my case this cheating is giving me a lot of pleasure, freedom and...a little exercise to allay my conscience. I had a push bike-the biking lasted one month. And the last ten days went no further than 3 km away from home.
In a few days it´ll be a year since i got assisted and I´ve done almost 5000 km.
But being a coward I haven´t dared yet overtake anyone-I simply let them ahead....
You can do it Poppy. Just stalk them till you get to a hill and then sail past on the incline. I did that one morning and the guy chased me only to run out of puff on the second hill LOL :cool: