Electric tricycle?

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
My dear old mum is thinking of buying an electric TRICYCLE.

Recommendations and suggestions welcomed.

I'd expect she'd like to test ride one, so retailers in south west London/Surrey would be helpful.

Thanks

Eagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: Kizza

brindledog

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2017
Appleton
My dear old mum is thinking of buying an electric TRICYCLE.

Recommendations and suggestions welcomed.

I'd expect she'd like to test ride one, so retailers in south west London/Surrey would be helpful.

Thanks
J has a trike. A few years ago, she suddenly lost all hearing in her left ear. Her sense of balance was destroyed at the same time, and her cycling career ended. She had cycled for fifty years and was devastated by this lose. She bought a trike and has had the greatest difficulty adapting to 3 wheels. Steering was the main problem; I wonder if, having biked for so long, where steering is largely done by balance, the conversion is so difficult? Following a fall off the trike, which happened during a sharp left turn, she gave up for twelve miserable months. Today we tried again - a long way from other traffic - with mixed results. Hope your mum has fewer difficulties - best wishes.
Tom

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Upright trikes are famously unstable, needing more balancing skills when cornering than a bicycle.

An etrike with plenty of weight on the rear axle might be a bit more stable.

Kizza

Pedelecer
Oct 28, 2017
London
Upright trikes are famously unstable, needing more balancing skills when cornering than a bicycle.

An etrike with plenty of weight on the rear axle might be a bit more stable.
Great thanks.

I've suggested strongly she test ride one first. Doesn't sound that safe to me.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Great thanks.

I've suggested strongly she test ride one first. Doesn't sound that safe to me.
Me neither, but people do ride them.

Probably not ideal for a beginner.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Another alternative if you want stability is a tadpole style recumbent trike. ICE in the UK make good ones http://www.icetrikes.co, and there are many other manufacturers out there who also make good options.

The advantage of a tadpole trike is stability during steering - 2 wheels at the front do the steering.

Reactions: brindledog

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Absolutely a tadpole trike is the best solution.

Reactions: brindledog