Electric Trikes

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
Does anyone know the best trikes on the market. I was looking at one or two and the batteries seemed more powerful on some, I suppose because they must be heavier.

I noticed you can fill in a form and get them VAT free if you are registered disabled too. I wonder why a Trike you can do that but not a Bike.

How do people feel about being on a Trike? I know when I first got the electric bike people stared a lot and would stop to ask me questions, I felt a bit of a space cadet on one till they became more popular.

The new trikes seem a good option to me as I carry saddlebags stuffed so full as to make the bike as wide as a trike anyway. The trike has a huge box between the wheels for shopping with more space than the saddlebags, though. Some even have the double wheels at the front so the shopping, or even a baby seat, can go there. Is there some reason electric trikes haven't become any more popular over the last few years?

Tiberius

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2007
Somerset
Hi Branwen,

The only time I ever got concussion was when I fell off a trike. I was trying a stunt that involved me riding it on two wheels while someone else came the other way on a skateboard. I was about ten years old, and no, I wasn't wearing a helmet. They hadn't been invented.

You're right that you don't see many here in the UK, but on visits to Copenhagen I've seen lots, delta and tadpole configurations, front and rear steering. The main use seems to be for carrying multiple children.

If I remember right, the upper weight limits are 40 kg for an electric bike and 60 kg for a trike. That would suggest that an electric trike could be built with a huge range and load carrying capacity.

The lack of them in the UK is probably down to fashion and a different pattern of use. They are lower speed than bikes, but can carry more; they don't mix with traffic so well. You can see why they're popular in Copenhagen, where the road system in the centre is set up for cycling, but I can't imagine a mother loading her two children into a front compartment and setting off through London on one.

Nick

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
I think my days of doing wheelies are long past, lol!

People will cheerfully load a kid on the back and cycle through traffic, whats the difference except you can see your kid?

I did see a folding electric trike at 35kg, one assumes without the battery. The batteries are often higher output, maybe this might be a source for recelling projects.

Look at the heavy load the guy is taking up a hill on this trike site, makes the loads flecc carries look lightweight.

New Electric Pedicabs - Rickshaw Trikes for the 21st Century

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
You can see why they're popular in Copenhagen, where the road system in the centre is set up for cycling, but I can't imagine a mother loading her two children into a front compartment and setting off through London on one.

Nick
I've seen an oriental lady with one transporting her kids through London on occasion, I've no idea how far she goes though.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Look at the heavy load the guy is taking up a hill on this trike site, makes the loads flecc carries look lightweight.

New Electric Pedicabs - Rickshaw Trikes for the 21st Century
Yes, the Cycles Maximus van is rated for a 5 cwt payload. However, the illustrated Heinzmann motor version is rather weak for the huge weight involved, their Lynch motor version being far better especially where hills are involved.

However, the electric versions are all illegal on our roads, weighing as they do typically around 140 kilos without rider or load! Try pedalling one when the battery runs out. :(

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
My dreams of owning an Agattu are reliant on harrassing my agency to join the cycle to work scheme, they on the other hand think I should take an in-house loan they charge at more than my credit card with £15 a month fee service charges, unfortunately.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
some other trikes

Does anyone know the best trikes on the market. I was looking at one or two and the batteries seemed more powerful on some, I suppose because they must be heavier.

I noticed you can fill in a form and get them VAT free if you are registered disabled too. I wonder why a Trike you can do that but not a Bike.

How do people feel about being on a Trike? I know when I first got the electric bike people stared a lot and would stop to ask me questions, I felt a bit of a space cadet on one till they became more popular.

The new trikes seem a good option to me as I carry saddlebags stuffed so full as to make the bike as wide as a trike anyway. The trike has a huge box between the wheels for shopping with more space than the saddlebags, though. Some even have the double wheels at the front so the shopping, or even a baby seat, can go there. Is there some reason electric trikes haven't become any more popular over the last few years?
Hi Branwen,

the 50Cycles option looks good,

here are some others i liked....

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
Wow, the basket in the second one looks huge, ideal for shopping trips. At present I just get mine delivered, having given up the car.

My Lafree is back on the road however, don't know for how long but I'm going to keep it to the last gasp then get the most up to date best model Agattu. Battery technology being what it is, I want to be as up to date as I can with a new one. Bit like getting a computer, it's obsolete before you know it, I guess.

Riding it for so long without a battery means I can ride a regular bike now, and I've got one as back up in case things go wrong now, but the steepest hills still set off my asthma unfortunately.

I saw rickshaw trikes in the summer on the royal mile, sponsored by Scottish Hydro, but they weren't electric, despite the fact electric rickshaws are available. Seemed like a missed advertising opportunity for them there, plus the very fit and healthy driver was still gasping and going slow up the Edinburgh hills. I wonder if I could get permission to take electric rickshaw tours round the queens park and royal mile... hrmm.. I think I'd need a flintstones type vehicle where everyone pedalled, maybe...

Something like this...love how it looks like a model t ford a bit. Wonder if you could add those greenwheels to it

Last edited:

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent
i look at electric trikes all the time and i think its a great idea

reason being i ride a petrol version

here is me on my rover v8 3500litre trike

its not what you can green but its fun:)

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London

Excellent. And no need for a helmet, right?

There's a place around the corner from our warehouse in Loughborough that appears to make them. Always a couple parked up there anyway.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
3 wheels is good too

Nice machine Steve,

i always fancied a pootle on one of these....

but my pockets would only stretch to one of these...

ah well... there's always that nest-egg i've got with Bernie... haven't heard from him this year...hhmmm

Last edited:

uk_steve

Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2007
Folkestone Kent