Electrics going wrong with folding Basis bike SP20

Tessread

Just Joined
Jan 2, 2023
Anyone else had this problem? The electrics started cutting in and out yesterday - could have been dangerous if I was on the roads. And the buttons would not respond at all. I thought it could be a loose connection with the battery so I switched off and on and removed and replaced the battery with a definite push but no change. Has anyone had this before please?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Did the LED display on the handlebars go off too? If so, it could be the battery voltage sagging under load to a too-low level where the BMS cuts the power. That's most likely if you were using a high level of assist, perhaps going up a hill, and even more likely if the battery is older or worn. It's only a small 24v/7Ah battery, so won't have a lot of energy even when new. On these occasions you should be able to turn the battery back on again after it's recovered, but the symptoms will repeat again given similar circumstances.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Sounds like a battery issue although I guess it could be a dry joint or other issue with the controller plus of course poor contacts somewhere. 24Vx7Ah is only 168Wh which is very low capacity. I've seen a few postings where 24V batteries on such bikes don't last that long, often only 200-350 cycles and premature failure before that is not unknown. It may have respectable but not great Chinese cells and the current drawn from them is very high hence the reduction in charge cycles. They get a very hard life basically. There has been a lot of rain recently in many areas of the UK so I guess water ingress could be another factor.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With a folding bike a potential probelm may be the fold and whether the main wire loom has an imtimittent fault with a broken wire to the display. Check carefully the wiring at the fold and either side for any damage , use your fingers to feel for any lumpy ness or break . Other wise a meter used on continuity at each end of the wires may throw up a wire fault.

With the weather of late water ingress or moisture conensation may be an issue within the display, esp if the bike has been left in standing rain for long periods.

If only a motor pick up issue check the PAS set up case it has been knocked out of alignment ( esp if it is a two piece magnet disc/sensor est up) , as always check the disc is firm on the axle and can't move , check the gap to sensor head is about 1mm.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I have a Basis folder (Finch) - my first had a fault and the battery died suddenly on the replacement while out of warranty.

If you bought your bike from Ebikes Direct, I would contact the company for advice. Their tech guys are very knowledgeable about their bikes and helpful, can advise and what to look for and there might be a simply fix they can talk you through by phone.