Electroped Roadstar newbie!

CRIPES

Just Joined
Jun 6, 2012
Hi Folks,
Found this site while searching for info as regards the Electroped Roadstar.
I am suffering from Inflammatory Arthritis..and my cycling has almost become non-existent in the past 6 years. I was a very keen cyclist...riding both Tandems, MTBs & Road bikes..mainly for pleasure..but also as a means to get to work as I do not drive.
But due to certain circumstances and a move to Scotland...I have since contrated the arthitic condition which put pay to my cycling. Shame as I was so looking forward to riding new roads in Scotland.
So I started to look at possibly getting an electric bike to get about...and try to lose some of the extra 4.5 stone I've put on since the arthritis reared it's ugly head.
I couldnt' aford a new bike..way to expensive!...But hav purchased a second hand Electroped Roadstar. It did need new batteries to the tune of £80..but it is in descent knick..only done 2 miles.!.....Thing is I am dissapointed at the performance...even with new batteries..ITS SO HEAVY!!..even without the batteries (its the 5 speed version). And considering getting out of the village where I now live means getting over a few hills...Not very steep...but the bike lacks the power to help..And I can't pedal to much becuase of the arhtitis in my knees & ankles. I was hoping to use it get shopping as I can't stand relying on the buses...But if it can't help without shopping..its not gonna with!!.

Thing is I have no idea of the power of the motor(front hub).Theres no wording or markings on it. I was wondering how hard it would be to strip it down and transfer the set up to a lighter bike.?

The consul is rather pointless..the only useful feature is the battery charge indicator.
I have removed the stand (very heavy) and the rear rack..and changed the saddle for a lighter one...Have not yet tried it with the reduced weight..about 6lbs...But I doubt it will make alot of difference on the hills...So swapping it over to a lighter better bike would be the best option I think.....But I am not really sure how?. Removing the consul would be a start...so I could upgrade the front brake as the cantilever one it has is useless..A V-brake would be better..but won't work with the lever on it now.
Also...as my hands are not what they used to be because of the arthritis..a major strip down might be abit beyond me (pain and swelling of fingers and wrists.)

So..any advice on what might be done to reduce weight.(apart from me going on a crash diet..hehehe)..or what a transfer might require would be most helpful.

Cheers folks for looking!!

CRIPES :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
E-bikes are really electric assist and aren't really up to hill climbing without substantial help from the rider as you've found. I don't know the exact power figure for that Electroped but it's likely to be around the 200/250 watts figure like most e-bikes.

A major part of the weight of bikes like this is the SLA (lead-acid) batteries, so transferring the parts to another bike won't give much hill climb gain. Another factor is your own weight which will be far greater than the bike's, so any reduction you get on the bike will only be a very small proportion of the all up weight of you and the bike. That again means little change in the climb ability.

That said, it is possible to change the electrical parts over to another bike and member pepston has done that to an Electroped, see this link

CRIPES

Just Joined
Jun 6, 2012
Cheers! flecc for taking the time to reply.
I know reducing my own weight would be a major factor...but thats not gonna happen overnight I'm afraid.
I'm hoping getting out a bit on the bike..I can get some exercise to help reduce the weight. :)
Being such a keen cyclist in the past i had a big appertite...but doing all the cycling..I burnt it off no probs!...so wasn't a problem...but since getting the arthritis..I still have the appertite...but am not doing the cycling.....so the weight has piled on. :( I know I should have change tacked at the time...but it's not that easy......With depression...comes eating....its been tough.

Anyway..thanks for the headsup....I'll see whats what...It could turn out to be a waste of time and money... :( Ho Hum!.

Last edited: