Eleglide experiences

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I love diversity so my range of motorized two-wheelers as of today is as follows:

What would potentially fill the gaps would be a 350CC Royal Enfield and a 650CC English parallel twin, either Triumph or Royal Enfield :cool:

But I'd doubt my wife would fancy this and I miss space.
You should have said. I recently sold this beauty for £5000. It had all the best BSA parts you can get. The front wheel alone was worth half of the 5 grand.

I had the CD175 (predecessor of the CD/CM 185) for several years, and did 60,000 miles on it. It was one of my favourites. Also, i had the CD200 (derived from the CM/CD185) for a couple of years as a commuter. That was also a fantstic bike. Both were completely bullet proof and very cheap to run. Both had the rickman full fairing, which is more or less essential for long distance commuting in all weathers.

It looks like you have simmilar values to me for motorcycling, though I also dabbled in more serious sports bikes as well - GSXR, RGV, TZR, etc. I always had one sports bike, one touring bike and one commuter/winter bike in the garage, plus a couple of others. I had to use cars for business, but I hate them. Motorbike is always my preference for travelling.

Last edited:

Paul1962

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2024
35745 Herborn
It appears Eleglide Ebikes aren't available in the EU any longer.
I was looking on www.geekbuying.com and searching for eleglide brought no result at all.
Searching for Ebikes brought some results, but once I sat the filter to "Only from EU warehouse" this ended up in showing only accessories, no complete bikes. Opening a Service Chat brought the result that they don't sell to Europe any longer as a matter of high taxes.
Following Chat protocol:

[02/07/2024 21:25:37] Service01: hi
[02/07/2024 21:25:47] Reinhard Paul: As I see you aren't offering any Eleglide ebikes any longer.
Besides this you have no ebikes at all from a EU warehouse. Is this just temporary or did you stop
selling Eleglide?

[02/07/2024 21:26:06] Service01: sorry we are unable to ship to europe now
[02/07/2024 21:26:45] Reinhard Paul: Okay, question answered. Would you think that is only
temporary or have you stopped sales to EU on your own?

[02/07/2024 21:28:10] Service01: because high tax
[02/07/2024 21:29:00] Reinhard Paul: Okay. So I can be lucky that I bought my bike already back
in October

[02/07/2024 21:29:47] Service01: sorry about that
[02/07/2024 21:30:35] Reinhard Paul: Thanks for your suport
[02/07/2024 21:30:48] Service01: you're welcome

Looking up the Elglide website I found out that none of their bikes was deliverable to the EU and only 2 Models (m1Plus, 10 left; and T1StepThru , 2 in stock) were still available in the UK.
So whomever is thinking about getting one of their bikes you better do it now.
Just saw they are available again as I saw HERE.
And the mid-motor versions as well. Cost is 1249€.

To be honest: The price situation is slowly relaxing and before I am going to buy one for 1249€ noone is going to fix I am going to get a 2022 old stock non-mover for 300 € more or build my own.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Just saw they are available again as I saw HERE.
And the mid-motor versions as well. Cost is 1249€.

To be honest: The price situation is slowly relaxing and before I am going to buy one for 1249€ noone is going to fix I am going to get a 2022 old stock non-mover for 300 € more or build my own.
seem available in EU but not in UK

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
C1? 150km on 7.5Ah battery sounds a bit optimistic.
Only if one rides 90km of the 150km with no power.

• :D
Reactions: Az.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Must have been a typo. It is supposed to have 14.5 Ah
Anaverage not too fit leisure cyclist would get about 30 to 35 miles out of that battery or around 20 miles without pedalling, depending on how hilly or flat the rides are.

Paul1962

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2024
35745 Herborn
The 2nd Eleglide does now have 350 km driven.
So far I am still happy with it, but lat week I had the following incidence:
All of a sudden my rear brake was out of order. It moved t brake pad towards the disc, even bended the disch slightly towards the inner brake pad and then it released.
So I was, let's say more than dissapointed, even slightly angry.
So I drove back home with just one brake, took a video of it and wrote a complaint to the Geekbuying support.

Besides this I was planning to buy spares brake pads since monthes but whenever I looked onto the Eleglide spares website I could only press the "Notify me when available button".
So I did even contact them to ask for the brake manufacturer or for a drawing of the brake pads so I can get them anywhere else if they aren't able to supply it. But the only answer I got was:press the "Notify me when available" button. So I wasn't just complaining about my problem but also about spares availability.

After a while my anger was gone so I went back to the garage to make myself familiar with the way a mechanical bicycle disc brake works. Might sound funny to the or the other, but I am old fashioned and until I bought that bike V-Brakes were to me state of the art.

So I found out that pads were (of course) thinner than new and I just needed to adjust the inner non movable piston by one turn of an allen key and then everything was working perfectly. It was that easy I could have even done it with the tools I had on board. I just didn't know.

But I left the support ticket open and the reply was:"Your brake makes a strange sound (this was when it released). Can we send you a new caliper or do you need brake pads as well?"

Of course I said they should send both and they promised to do so.
So at the end of the day my bike is back in good working condition and I am geeting a new caliper and a new set of brake bads free of charge. Fantastic :cool: .

My friends do already make jokes like: When this company goes bankrupt it's your fault! :)

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
The less complicated the easier to maintain
You kind of contradict yourself:

How your brakes are easy to maintain? :oops:

I also don't remember doing any maintenance on my hydraulic brakes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
You should have said. I recently sold this beauty for £5000. It had all the best BSA parts you can get. The front wheel alone was worth half of the 5 grand.

View attachment 56280
That looks like a BSA A10, but the front brake is not like the one I had. I bought it in 1971 for £50 with a sidecar attached and I rode it for two years before I bought my first car. I rode it up and down the A1, 280 miles each way every six weeks when I was a student in London. It only managed about 40mpg. It broke down a few times, mainly because I had been 'fixing it' before hand (which is short hand for 'meddling with it in a stupid schoolboy way'. The worst problem apart from a broken and chewed chain (misaligned back wheel - total chain write off) was the burned out exhaust valve which ended up by the time I got home (ten hours) with about half the valve head missing, Left hand exhaust pipe, was cherry red during the night and top speed was about twenty miles an hour. Vibration was horrific, but I had no money for mechanics or recovery so I just had to keep going in second gear on one cylinder.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I am happy with the mechanic brakes. The less complicated the easier to maintain
Wrong way round. Hydraulic brakes are set and forget. No adjustment is necessary and there is no cable to wear out or break. Cable ones need adjusting every week to keep working properly.

You shouldn't have put the supplier to all that trouble when the fault was yours for not adjusting it properly.

Paul1962

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2024
35745 Herborn
You shouldn't have put the supplier to all that trouble when the fault was yours for not adjusting it properly.
You might be right, but my thoughts were: If they have the technical skill what I would expect from a technical support they would have pointed me towards adjustment.
But as they proofed to have no clue of this I thought they haven't deserved it any better.
My apologies for being like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Paul1962

Pedelecer
Jan 4, 2024
35745 Herborn
Wrong way round. Hydraulic brakes are set and forget. No adjustment is necessary and there is no cable to wear out or break. Cable ones need adjusting every week to keep working properly.
Well, I heard from others about oil leaks and stuff like that which made me think: Leave your fingers off that. You live since you ride a bicycle which is in my case since 57 years with cable brakes and the ones you do have now are by far better than what you are used to so leave it as it is. Besides this I didn't want to fix hydraulic tubes where there's notthing on the frame designed to keep them in position. Furthermore you would need new brake handles and so on etc. etc.

But your comment made me searching on the Internet for it and I found mechanic/hydraulic ones like THIS.

Next time I have a brake incidence I might even think about those. Would you think they bring me any benefit? At least they are really maintenance-free from what I could see.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
But your comment made me searching on the Internet for it and I found mechanic/hydraulic ones like THIS.

Next time I have a brake incidence I might even think about those. Would you think they bring me any benefit? At least they are really maintenance-free from what I could see.
those cable operated hydraulic brakes have some of the qualities of hydraulic brakes like the pads are long lasting, auto-centre and auto-adjust but they don't compare well with normal hydraulic brakes. The hydraulic circuit does not need greasing like cables do, does not compress, have much higher braking power than what cables can achieve. Plus, hydraulics are more progressive and controllable than cables when you need gentle braking. The only time where those cable operatated hydraulic brakes are useful is when you don't have disc brakes at the rear wheel. Then, you will need to keep your levers. Hydraulic brakes come with new levers.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Well, I heard from others about oil leaks and stuff like that
What oil leaks? Are you sure you didn't mix it up with stories about 15 years old cars?

You usually buy a whole set, so no need to bleed brakes.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well, I heard from others about oil leaks and stuff like that which made me think: Leave your fingers off that. You live since you ride a bicycle which is in my case since 57 years with cable brakes and the ones you do have now are by far better than what you are used to so leave it as it is. Besides this I didn't want to fix hydraulic tubes where there's notthing on the frame designed to keep them in position. Furthermore you would need new brake handles and so on etc. etc.

All you need are ordinary hydraulic brakes. They're maintenance free and very easy to install. You don't need to worry about the hoses, which are thin and flexible just like brake cables. The stories that you've been reading about them are urban myths spread by people that have never used them. Instead of trying them, they spread false stories to justify their ignorance.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I moved over to hydraulic brakes prompted by @saneagle - just basic shimano mt200s - £35 including delivery for a pair of brakes (front and back) off AliExpress - replaced my manual disc brakes - would really recommend

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The only maintenance HDB's need are new pads when the old are worn out or the rotor and pads cleaned if they get road grease on them . Crappier makes might leak but if you stick to shimano then one shouldn't have cause for trouble.