Emotion Sport Max +

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Is it really a "Sport" bike?

Having owned my bike for a week I have been riding my Emotion around with the 11 tooth conversion. I really do like this conversion as it pushes the cadence up which suits me. I was a bit seduced by a previous comment that it didn't affect range. I knew this wasn't true but the wishful thinking part of me wanted to give it a try. It does reduce it considerable and I have returned to the 9 tooth.

So the bike is now as it left the factory so I have noted the journey times into work. My Cytronex would generally do it in an hour door to door. Maybe a little less if the traffic was favourable. The Emotion does it in 50 minutes, so quite a saving. Although the acceleration is poor, once you wind the Sport up it tends to cruise at about 21mph on the flat - I am not sure if it is assisting at these speeds (it shouldn't be) but that is why it is so much quicker into work. This is important to me as a commuter - shaving 20 minutes off my working day will make a lot of difference. I will get an idea of the range tonight but with the 11 tooth it was 24-25 miles (to cut off) of london commuting with a 200 feet elevation on the way home (and no really serious hills).

So I think the answer to my question is yes it is pretty much a Sport bike. More info and hopefully some pictures to follow.

Last edited:

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
Harry - look forward to any pics and further comment on the bike

My reason for interest is that I'm swithering just now between going down the Cytronex route (Canondale Quick 8 or similar) or the BH Emotion route (Emotion Cross Deluxe) - both very different bikes I know but I'm up here in Glasgow so getting a spin on either of these bikes is nigh on impossible.
I know both bikes are quality items but always good to hear first hand experiences.

I've got about £1500-£1600 to use for bike purchase which I can justify as long as the bike gets me to work for 2 years and these two bikes I really like the look of. Also I'm still in reasonable nick fitness wise so I contribute quite well in the pedalling stakes.

Rab

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Difficult choice as they are both so different. I think you have to try one of the Panasonic powered bikes to make sure you like it. The Cytronex is much more bicycle like and less "strange" to ride. Quicker on the acceleration but not as quick as my Sport Max on the flat. Better range on the Panasonics as well. You know all this so I think you need that test ride.

badpoet

Pedelecer
May 20, 2010
Just too add my two pence... I bought the cross deluxe a couple of weeks ago.

I did see the sports max at on bike but at the time they only had the smaller frame so I decided not too cloud the issue when I had made the decision very complex to begin with!

I have done 180 miles so far (three half decent hills) and pretty happy with it - I got just shy of fifty miles on the first two charges but that had a decent amount of no power in. I am slightly seduced by the power now and would agree that the bike seems to push you to cruise at 20 or so on a nice long flat.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
You may have seen the Sport Deluxe as the Max was only delivered last Thursday (and I took the only small frame leaving the larger frame version). One point about the frame sizes - these are big bikes. I have the smaller frame but with a suspension seatpost it is just a little too big for me and I am slightly uncomfortable stopping at traffic lights. I am 5'8 with a 30" leg in old money.

The other thing is the gearing - all the Emotion range seem to have the same gearing which is a bit higher than the Kalkhoff bikes so they all feel quite fast to ride on the flat.

badpoet

Pedelecer
May 20, 2010
I thought it was the max but might be wrong :) it had quite fat tyres and had only just come in I was told couple of weeks back. They had no stock just one bike.

Maybe I should have had a go, I am 6 ft just and the cross deluxe in the smaller frame just felt a touch small. The big frame would be too big for me though with a sprung seat, I am a 32 inch inside leg.

I was impatient to buy I think and having done a 2 hour drive I was alway goin to be tempted. I had spent so much time reading that adding a new bike I think would gave been bad. I went with the intention of trying a wisper too but lied the styling off the emotion too much!

badpoet

Pedelecer
May 20, 2010
Interesting - your right it wasn't the sport max but the bike I remember seeing isn't on the website at all.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Thanks Harry. That really is a most interesting bike. I guess you'll be looking forward to a bit less maintenance as well given the disc brakes. What's the ride like in terms of comfort?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Comfort is not that great - I suppose I will have to accept that with the aluminium sport frame and the overall weight. The front forks are set up for sport rather than comfort and non-adjustable. Maybe the spring could be changed. The Cytronex FX 7.3 was more comfortable I would say due to the lower weight.

I am struggling with the range at the moment as I was hoping to charge only at home but I this evening I returned home with one led just flashing. Yesterday I returned with two leds so quite a difference for no apparent reason. I don't like going back to the 9 tooth either - it was much better with the 11 tooth and better for my knees too.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
OK first problem. The chain keeps falling off the end of the smallest sprocket and mashing into the frame. Of course it is worse with the assist as it carries on mashing even when you stop pedalling - very painful sounding. Before you all cry "there is an end stop screw", yes I know but yesterday I wound it up so it woundn't quite go into 8th and then backed it off a quarter turn. I suppose one possibility is that the screw is slipping and needs a bit of locktite. Any other ideas to do with the tension in the deraillier?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Harry, how have you been getting on with the Sport Max?

I'm starting to look at Panasonic bikes, I'd like to get one before the VAT rise. So far I've narrowed it down to the Sport Max and the Kalkhoff Sahel pro disk. I'm leaning towards the Emotion at the moment as I'm unsure about the rigid forks and Alfine gears on the Kalkhoff, however, it does have the high assist Panasonic system....

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Well I have done 1000 miles so far and mostly trouble free. I had to tweak the front brakes ever so slightly as the caliper was occasionally touching the wheel. The gearchange is still a bit clunky but I think that is a function of the power assist. The rests is just oiling the chain and riding.

I too considered the Sahel disc pro but at the time it was £500 more so I ruled it out. Prices are pretty similar now. The smaller 26 inch wheels put me off together with the Panasonics ugly chain guard and generally dowdy looks -I know I am being shallow but the Emotion is a better looking bike IMHO. Don't worry about the rigid fork as that is one of the Sports weaknesses. The suspension really isn't that great and just adds a certain vague-ness to the steering. The equipment levels are a bit better on the Sahel (lights and proper mudguards).

Personally I would wait for the next generation of bikes to come along as I am sure there will be more choice soon - the Bosch system looks very neat. Emotion are bringing out a Sport Max without the front suspension so that may well save you more than the £45 VAT money if you have to resort to the Emotion range.

PS I am sure there is not much in the power assist between the two. Onbike seem to think that Emotion use the higher settings too but only a test ride would give you the answer.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks for info Harry. I took a look at the emotion manual and it seems to be the high assist version. I'm not convinced by the new systems, they are still v1.0 as it where and think they will be changed and improved very rapidly over the next few years, can't wait that long ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Panasonic unit is version 2, the previous one running for almost 6 years. That had a few bugs with known causes of failure but all of them seem to have been ironed out in the new version which has been trouble free for 3 years now.

The only downsides of the newer unit are the smaller motor drive sprocket and some problems with the wrapper/tensioner, but neither are insurmountable.

whibbles52

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 1, 2010
France nr. Geneva
I bought an Emotion Sport Max in September and have done 600km without any real problems - I find the seat uncomfortable and the front suspension has an annoying squeak but I consider these minor problems.

I really like the bike and it certainly helps me up the hills, including a 1350m mountain pass in Switzerland ! I can take it off-road and it has certainly extended my leisure rides.

I also thought of waiting to try the Bosch system or the Kalkhoff 18A but after a few trial rides, I couldn't resist it - a two year guarantee on the bike/battery and the reliability of the Panasonic motor made up my mind. Other factors were the weight i.e. less than 20kg and the fact that it looked like a proper bike.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I also thought of waiting to try the Bosch system or the Kalkhoff 18A but after a few trial rides, I couldn't resist it - a two year guarantee on the bike/battery and the reliability of the Panasonic motor made up my mind.
I think the wisest choice. Panasonic not only have the long experience with this successful unit, they have long been a major bicycle manufacturer in Japan and have considerable experience with bike transmissions.

Bosch? No relevant experience in either bikes or the bike motorisation field that I know of, so very much a risk in the early period.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I bought an Emotion Sport Max in September and have done 600km without any real problems - I find the seat uncomfortable and the front suspension has an annoying squeak but I consider these minor problems.

I really like the bike and it certainly helps me up the hills, including a 1350m mountain pass in Switzerland ! I can take it off-road and it has certainly extended my leisure rides.

I also thought of waiting to try the Bosch system or the Kalkhoff 18A but after a few trial rides, I couldn't resist it - a two year guarantee on the bike/battery and the reliability of the Panasonic motor made up my mind. Other factors were the weight i.e. less than 20kg and the fact that it looked like a proper bike.
The seat looked awful and I changed it to my own for the test ride and never took it off. How are you getting on with the front suspension? I am not sure it provides much in the way of comfort and adds a vagueness and I think a wobble at speed. When you look at the way it is designed you can see why it doesn't work that well and I am sure can only get worse with wear. I would like to fit some carbon steerers as they might keep a bit of comfort but haven't been able to find any at a reasonable cost.

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Shame about the forks. Looking at the description, that suspension seems to be a special feature. Have you discussed the issue with Onbike?

One the subject of carbon forks, SJS list a pair for £89.99.

Good luck and keep us posted about the bike.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I see on Onbikes website that the higher range Emotion bikes now have the 12Ah Panasonic battery instead of the 10Ah (bikes with 8Ah now have 1oAh) This is an original Panasonic battery so should be good?