Emotion Sport Max +

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The Sport Delux http://www.onbike.co.uk/emotion-electric-bikes/e-motion-sport-deluxe-2.html looks like a good choice with the new console - much more useful and also gets rid of the rotten front forks that the Max has. Could do with the 18Ah battery rather than just 12Ah and I am not sure the panasonics batteries are any better quality that the ones Kalkoff use (from my experience anyway).

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Harry do you have a rack and mudguards on yours? would you buy one again.......

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Console is the same as on my PCS, very good....

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I have a rack - I fitted a specific disc one as Onbike didn't have any that fitted. No mudguards though - lazyness on my part as it sure needs them. Not sure I would buy another one as a commuter - I would go for a hub bike. The chain gets a hell of a battering with the power going through the derailleur. The Kalkoff pro-connect disc looks better value to me so that would be my choice - wasn't available at the time of course.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
...and I see 50 Cycles now stock E-motion bikes now.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
...and I see 50 Cycles now stock E-motion bikes now.
And the Tonaro BigHit with the Yamaha type bevel motor drive.

With Kalkhoff-Panasonic, Kalkhoff-BionX, Haibike, BH-Emotion, Oxygen, Tonaro, seems they are after world domination!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Indeed...Maybe that explains the no invite to you no where......

But wider distribution and a bit of competition has to be better for us the consumer.

M_B

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2011
HarryB, I was very interested in your comments, as I've short listed the BH E-Motion Sport Max + for riding the 7 miles back and forth to work on the flat (and for leisure). Its the only range of electric bikes that I could find that look like a normal bike. I live in a 2nd floor flat, so whatever I get has to get lifted up and down four flights of stairs every morning/evening therefore weight is high on my priority. I also want something that is light enough to ride unassisted.

Up until now BH's E-motion bikes all used the Panasonic crank drive system, however you say you would probably buy a hub drive bike if you had to choose again? So its interesting that BH appear to have launched a new range of rear Hub driven bikes with a Samsung battery moulded into the frame, I dunno if this is done for cost reasons or whether BH are having a rethink?

The range of electric bikes: BH bikes catalog | BH E-Motion

I'd steered away from Hub driven due to less flexability in using the gearing, and the complications of removing the rear wheel in the event of a puncture. Anyway, your experience is interesting.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Looks like it may be the BionX motor in the BH, probably a choice rather than a change. Kalkhoff are doing the same, both Panasonic and BionX systems sold in parallel.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
HarryB, I was very interested in your comments, as I've short listed the BH E-Motion Sport Max + for riding the 7 miles back and forth to work on the flat (and for leisure). Its the only range of electric bikes that I could find that look like a normal bike. I live in a 2nd floor flat, so whatever I get has to get lifted up and down four flights of stairs every morning/evening therefore weight is high on my priority. I also want something that is light enough to ride unassisted.

Up until now BH's E-motion bikes all used the Panasonic crank drive system, however you say you would probably buy a hub drive bike if you had to choose again? So its interesting that BH appear to have launched a new range of rear Hub driven bikes with a Samsung battery moulded into the frame, I dunno if this is done for cost reasons or whether BH are having a rethink?

The range of electric bikes: BH bikes catalog | BH E-Motion

I'd steered away from Hub driven due to less flexability in using the gearing, and the complications of removing the rear wheel in the event of a puncture. Anyway, your experience is interesting.

My mistake as I left out "geared" so what I really meant was as hub geared bike like the Alfine in the Pro-connect. The Bionx are a very good hub motored bikes though. What makes you favour the Sport Max over the Pro-connect or even the Sport Delux

M_B

May 8, 2011
I don't like the Kalkhoff 'look', and they are more expensive. The Sport Lux doesn't have any front suspension...

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The pro-connect is only £100 more and comes with the 18 ah battery and lights. The front forks are dreadful - not much in the way of suspension and introduce a vague-ness and wobble in the steering!

M_B

May 8, 2011
Ok, you've put me off those forks on the Sport Max+, Not sure which pro-connect you mean though, cheapest I can find on 50cycles is the £2k Kalkhoff Pro Connect Disc Electric Bike, but that's got the wrong picture, that model is actually a step through frame. Kalkhoff : Models 2011 kalkhoff don't specify the weights of their bikes so its hard to compare.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Yes I realise the price has just gone up for the Pro-connect Disc by £100 since the end of April - still it is better spec'ed and equiped than the E-motion. So for you it is down to looks (I don't think the Pro-connect looks too bad though I don't like that huge chainguard) and whether to pay more for the Alfine over the derailleur gears (plus bigger battery). I would try before you buy and so settle your choice - have you tried any of the Kalkoff range or E-motion?

M_B

May 8, 2011
Thanks, I'm intending to visit Onbike this Saturday to try out a few BH models, and will see if they will swap the forks on the Sport Max (or Lux) based on your experience... Showed pics of the Kalkoff to a few collegues at work, and they said they wouldn't want to be seen riding one :-(

Also asked for some info from Haibike on the new eQ XDURO Cross and XDURO Trekking models (out of the budget I have set) but they do look very good wityh that Bosch drive.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
....Showed pics of the Kalkoff to a few collegues at work, and they said they wouldn't want to be seen riding one :-(
Let me guess, they are all fair weather lycra types who wont ride in the cold n wet? :)

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Ok, you've put me off those forks on the Sport Max+, Not sure which pro-connect you mean though, cheapest I can find on 50cycles is the £2k Kalkhoff Pro Connect Disc Electric Bike, but that's got the wrong picture, that model is actually a step through frame. Kalkhoff : Models 2011 kalkhoff don't specify the weights of their bikes so its hard to compare.
50 Cycles are selling 2010 Pro C models for £1500 with a two year warranty HERE. The Pro C is a very good commuter bike, I've had one for nearly 3 years and used it daily without hardly any problems. Its a nice bike and £500 cheaper than the Disk

The only two minus points for you on this model are: No suspension and cable V Brakes. Not a major drama to retro fit these though.

Last edited: