Extend your battery

Osho

Pedelecer
Jan 13, 2015
Bournemouth
My cousin, who lives in Germany and has an ebike, was told by his Kalkhoff dealer that when going downhill he should not turn off the battery whilst coasting as this uses up more energy than leaving it on. He has found that since following this advice his range has been extended.I turn my battery off at every opportunity. Could this be a reason why I am getting disappointing mileage?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I can't recall which bike and battery you have, but I can't see the point of messing around turning the battery on and off during a ride.

One of the benefits of a quality pedelec system is set and forget.

On my Bosch bike, I set the assistance to tour before setting off, and routinely don't touch it during the ride.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's impossible to use more power with the battery switched off than on. Where's the power supposed to go? If it were true, there would be no point in switching off when you get home.

The controller uses about 4w when switched on, so that's what you save by switching it off, which isn't a lot.

Unfortunately, the only way to get more tange is to pedal harder or go slower.

Osho

Pedelecer
Jan 13, 2015
Bournemouth
That's what I've have thought d8veh but my cousin said that the dealer said that in turning the motor on and off you used more power than you saved. I think in future I will just follow RobF and not keep turning my Kalkhoff battery on and off. Saying that I've never followed the advice of those who say it's better to leave the central heating on rather than turning it on and off. Perhaps it's something to do with my parents who continually admonished us for leaving the lights on.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
My Panasonic crank drive is regularly shut off during lenghty downhill sections and on flats when I am feeling energetic. It greatly increases my range. It can not see how any system could use up power coasting and turned off.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
If going downhill and coasting or pedalling past the cut out, I don’t think there is any current being taken from the battery anyway. Or am I wrong?

D

Deleted member 4366

If going downhill and coasting or pedalling past the cut out, I don’t think there is any current being taken from the battery anyway. Or am I wrong?
The controller still needs power when you're coasting.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Switching off power when the going is easy on a lightweight Cytronex-powered hybrid or road bike permits use of the assistance on the important bits and is the reason why many can ride them for several hours achieving substantial mileage from the 4Ah NiMh battery.

I find most EAPCs, with only a few exceptions, heavy and somewhat challenging to ride unpowered in the higher gears.

Tom