Eye & Bungy strap

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi Everyone.Just a word of warning about useing bungy straps to secure things to your bike which i suppose most of us do,while tying some shopping to my rack on Sunday the strap which I thought was secured turned out it was,nt ??? and while at full strech it let go and smached into my right eye, the impact was so hard it knocked me over and when i tried to look out of it every thing was black and I thought i had lost it.I then had to cycle a couple of miles home to look in a mirror to see the damage?and it was,nt good?.On Monday I had to go to the hospital as the pain was so bad and I could see very little out of it!! anyway to cut a long story short before I left the hospital the consultant said that this was a very serious injury and the next week would be crucial as to whether I would recover ok or the injury is so bad I could even loose my sight or the worse case My eye???? so all out there please please be very carefull and get some small ratchet ones on ebay like I have done.Steve
I let you all know what happens.:(

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Sorry to hear about that Steve , I hope you get some good news in a week . I had a nasty experience years ago when putting new shoes on the brakeplate of my Ariel Leader . I was stretching the spring with a long nosed pliers , it slipped and the pliers made contact with my eyebrow .

donkeydoo

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2011
I done exactly the same last week putting a new battery on my cycle rack. Lucky I had my glasses on and they saved my eye. Easy done and I hope it goes well for you next week.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sincere best wishes for a very full recovery Steve.

Bungees are a well know cause of these accidents, I've seen reports and warnings going back years in various fields. One long term friend, a keen cyclist, hang glider and white water canoeist, refuses to use them, calling them lethal and only using ratchet straps. I've never inquired, but clearly he has had a very bad experience at some time.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Fingers crossed you are ok steve....that sounds awful.......will heed the warning though

Lynda :)

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
very sorry to hear this Steve. I am one who has used Bungy and lots of other potentially dangerous things. I have taken note of your post - thanks - and will certainly be very careful in future and try to consider safety when deciding on how to fix things to my bike.
Good luck, Alan

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
I've had these bungee cords snap against my fingers when I stretch it to secure something on the bike. Quite painful indeed, and is terrifying to think what it could do to one's eye. Thank you for the warning and I wish you a speedy recovery.

I'd advise to use the correct length of bungee for the load so it doesn't have to be stretched too hard. It doesn't need massive tension to secure a cargo, just the way it's tied so the item can't slip out anywhere. I have 3, two with hooked ends (very dangerous) and one longer one with looped end. I also have a ratchet strap for larger items.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
A cautionary tale for us all! I use bungee straps all the time but I will certainly look at the alternatives. Hope all goes well next week Steve.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Blimey! Lets hope it works out OK....I learnt years ago how dangerous these things are securing stuff on our camper van.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
One needs to be extra careful with these bungee things for another reason . I have seen more than one case where a loose bunjee has become entangled in deraileur gears with dire results , totally destroying the gears .As a guy who has lost the sight of one eye as a result of a detached retina , I hope things work out OK for you .

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
Proper, high elasticity bungys were all the rage in the 1970s but they mysteriously go in and out of fashion.

So for quite a few years we've only been able to get modern bungys from Tescos which are pathetic, totally lacking in za-za zoom.

The Dutch, who really do know their bicycles, provide straps which are attached both ends and don't have this problem.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Isn`t it strange how we all know how dangerous bungees are and yet people still have accidents?

I stopped using them a long time ago and now use thin webbing straps instead. They hold just as well if not better. I also use them to pack my motorbike when touring. No chance of taking my eye out.

Steve

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Better News??

Hi. Just an update on my eye I can now see out of it but it's very blurred all the time but hopefully it's getting better?? I have an appointment with the consultant next week so fingers crossed. And thanks for all your best wishes. Steve

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Hi. Just an update on my eye I can now see out of it but it's very blurred all the time but hopefully it's getting better?? I have an appointment with the consultant next week so fingers crossed. And thanks for all your best wishes. Steve
A horrible thing to have happen. Thanks for your kindness in bringing it to our attention - and best wishes for the coming week.
Tom

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Just a quick thank you to everyone for your concern and good wishes and today I have been to the hospital and the consultant said my eye was healing well and should be OK? so good news! although It could lead to a cateract/glaucoma and some others in the future but OK at the moment so I can throw the eye patch away for the moment?? but again throw ALL YOUR BUNGY STRAPS AWAY. Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's brilliant Steve, a big weight off your mind. These must have been a stressful few days of waiting.

Cataracts are routine with age anyway.