ezee cadence battery

mga

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 14, 2010
I have just purchased an ezeecadence with two faulty batteries. I took both sets of bateries out of the plastic case testing them for voltage and amperage picking the best 10 cells to make one battery this has had vrery limited success,from two dead batteries the " new" one wil ltake me 4 miles having a spare bms and a case i want to recell the second battery but i am having great difficulty finding cells or battery pack that will fit inside the plastic case Any help gratfully received. While i am on how do lights work is there a switch? Batteries have a sticker 08-10-05 one case siver with 50 cycle sticker one red with no sticker lithium ion cells x 10 at 3.6 volt 10 ah

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those batteries will be completely dud since they only last about two years and 50cycles haven't been the eZee agents for over two and a half years now.

Cells are never available for lithium batteries since the speed of development means the BMS specs need to keep pace with them. It's possible to buy Lithium-iron phosphate (LiFePO4) batteries to build into cases, but they are a bit bulkier for the current delivery needed for your motor so they can't be fitted into the existing case. Realistically you need either a new eZee battery or the alternative mounted on the carrier in a casing you provide.

The lights are powered from the battery and the switch is a rocker one on the twistgrip. If that's not there, someone has changed the throttle twistgrip.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
ezee

could it be at times like this, ni_mh could be usefull or am i living in the past ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
could it be at times like this, ni_mh could be usefull or am i living in the past ?
It certainly would, but good enough high discharge D cells are no longer around at sensible prices now that production has dropped so low.

mga

Jul 14, 2010
ezee cadence

many thanks flecc batteries are shot i now have to work out how to get alarger battery into the original case. the switch for lights is still there but bulbs have gone could you advise me of volts/watts of front and rear thanks again ken

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
many thanks flecc batteries are shot i now have to work out how to get alarger battery into the original case. the switch for lights is still there but bulbs have gone could you advise me of volts/watts of front and rear thanks again ken
Ken, they were normally screw in LED lights on the eZee models I know. The headlight one is an array of 7 LEDs within the glass bulb, the tail light one a single LED, both wired in series so that the bike's 36 volts was dropped across them by sharing it 8 ways, just over 4 volts each.

Check that the voltage is being supplied to the headlight before getting bulbs since these lights could suffer wiring burn-out at various points. If the voltage supplied to the headlight is there ok, you should be able to get the bulbs from eZee agents Onbike, details on this contact page. They also supply the new official batteries of course.

tony18m2001

Aug 28, 2007
Leicester LE9, UK
My Cadence was originally provided with 36V filament bulbs, but I persuaded Scott at 50Cycles to let me swap the headlamp for an eZee spare LED one. I still have the filament rear one - the current consumption is sometimes useful to drop the battery volts down after charging till the controller will accept it.
The front and rear are wired in parallel - 36V each from the main battery.
I had to replace my throttle control so I replaced the light switch with a simple toggle switch screwed to a 15mm plastic pipe clamp.
Flecc - on a different issue, I am still using your NimH battery after over 3600 miles. Range is a few miles before I get a cutout on hills, but I can always nurse it over my 12 mile journey. The rebuild with Aldi C cells has got a bit sidelined, but still expected this year.
cheers, Tony

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good to hear that you've got most things fixed Tony, and that the NiMh battery is still ticking over. If only the early lithium batteries had lasted as well. Let us know in due course how the bike performs on those C cells.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
I can recommend the Ansmann Racing 4500mAhr sub C cells (I think I saw some on the bay). I use them as a short range pack with my ezee hub and they deliver 20+ amps without any problems. Range is about 10 miles if you're lazy but the pack is very light.
I've tried othe NiMH batteries (even power tool ones) and they get hot and don't deliver the current.