Ezee liv fault diagnosis lights / brake cut off

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Am on holiday in germany with a friend with an Ezee Liv.
It got wet and has been problematic since. The controller etc is now dry - its 30c plus every day.
The diagnosis light is flashing 3 times indicating a brake cut off fault.
The brake levers seem ok, so what i'd like to know is, how can we isolate the brake levers to take them out of the equation?
Until we can do that my friends wife looks to be pedalling only!
Thanks

C

Cyclezee

Hi averhamedave,

If this is the fault, carefully open the LED battery gauge on the handle bars and disconnect the 2 white JST connectors on the circuit board. If you remove one at a time, you might find out which is the faulty one.

Hope this will cure it.

Regards,

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The below link to my eZee website gives all the info with photo that you need to open that unit and unplug the connectors that John mentions. Just use the appropriate bits of the second, third and fourth paragraphs, you won't need to cut the wires, just unplug as John says.

eZee handlebar meter unit

Last edited:

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
The below link to my eZee website gives all the info with photo that you need to open that unit and unplug the connectors that John mentions. Just use the appropriate bits of the second, third and fourth paragraphs, you won't need to cut the wires, just unplug as John says.

eZee handlebar meter unit
Thanks for the replies.

We have cut and joined the brake cut off wires and also checked the plugs for location in the handlebar indicator.

We now have the red light flashing not 3 times but 5 times which I have googled and see indicates a throttle problem. We have changed the throttle with my Torq and it works fine.

Any more ideas? Thanks

C

Cyclezee

Thanks for the replies.

We have cut and joined the brake cut off wires and also checked the plugs for location in the handlebar indicator.

We now have the red light flashing not 3 times but 5 times which I have googled and see indicates a throttle problem. We have changed the throttle with my Torq and it works fine.

Any more ideas? Thanks
Hi again,

When you say it works fine with the throttle from your Torq, do you also mean that the red diagnostic LED on the controller is staying constant?

If that is the case, it looks like you need a new throttle to replace the faulty one.

We have them in stock in the UK and could send one to Germany, but the question is are you staying in one place and for how long?

Also if you contact Stefan at http://ezeebike.com/www.ezeebike.de he might be able to get one to you quickly, they are located about 50Km south of Stuttgart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm stumped for further on this since the Liv was introduced with a brush motor and suitable controller that I'm not familiar with, unlike all the other eZee models which are brushless. Whether much later Livs switched to brushless I don't know.

N.B. Crossed with John's reply.

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Thanks again. What I meant about swapping the throttle was that we unplugged the Liv throttle and plugged it into my Torq. The Liv throttle worked the Torq, not the other way round.

Think we have concluded the controller is shot!

Thanks anyway.

C

Cyclezee

Thanks again. What I meant about swapping the throttle was that we unplugged the Liv throttle and plugged it into my Torq. The Liv throttle worked the Torq, not the other way round.

Think we have concluded the controller is shot!

Thanks anyway.
Sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick and it is a bigger problem if indeed the controller is at fault, the motor is almost certainly one of the early brushed type and so is the controller.
To confirm this go to the downloads section of our website and download the service manual for the older models and you will see a photo of the brushed motor.

We don't have the brushed controllers in stock and we would have to get one sent from the factory.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Liv's predecessor, the Rider model, used the same brushed motor and was sold in some European countries, so John's contact Stefan that he linked to in this post might just have a Liv/Rider brushed controller in stock.