ezee sprint

mercman696

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2007
My wife has a Giant Lafree - had it for 3 years and rates it highly. The dreaded cost of a new battery is raising its head as she now only gets about 10 miles per charge.
I was wondering about ebaying it and getting her a new Ezee Sprint with a lithium battery. She uses it mostly for town work and insists on a "stepthru" design.

Any thoughts or alternatives I should consider?

thanks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If there's steep hills to be considered, the Sprint is a good choice since it is quite powerful.

Like all hub motor bikes and particularly those with twistgrip throttles, it has a very different character to the Lafree, and it's a good idea to have a test ride if at all possible. The difference will be most noticeable if her present model is the Lafree Twist Lite, but if it's the Comfort model the difference to the Sprint is not quite so marked in some respects.

The only bike with the Lafree character now and using almost the same motor unit is the Gazelle Easy Rider which is made with a choice of three frame sizes in the step through model, but it's not cheap, just short of £1500 after delivery charge is applied.

If no very steep hills are involved, there are some other bikes which could be considered, for example the Powacycle Windsor step through.

One alternative to the ebay option is recelling the Lafree battery. This can be done by Vita Electric, phone: 020 7794 3373, so you could ring them for a quotation.

If you are competent with a soldering iron, you could do it yourself for £99, see here.

Last edited: