Ezee Torq or Urbanmover

andysmee

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 11, 2007
I have narrowed down my choice of bike to two (or maybe three).

I need a bike for a short commute to the station in Reading (5.6miles by road but should be shorter with use of back streets and bus lanes etc...

I have narrowed down my choice to the following:

Urbanmover UM-24 folding bike £699
Urbanmover UM-36 £745
eZee Torq £1,195

This is tough because, by all accounts, the Torq is the best bike but the price is high. I am tempted by the folding option on the UM-24 as I may take a taxi home occasionally if the weather forces me (!)

So I suppose the real choice is between the Torq and the UM-36. Is the Torq really worth £450 more in your opinion?

Thanks in advance for your help...

P.S. Hi, my name's Andy, nice forum, look forward to chatting some more...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That sounds an easy commute Andy, either will comfortably do it.

The Urban Mover has less equipment than the Torq, and that helps account for the price difference. The Torq has a better 8 speed derailleur against the 6 speed one on the UM, it also has full mudguards and lighting, and the motor is a much more powerful 36 volt one, the UM being lower powered 24 volt. The Torq has a Li-ion battery at that price, with a NiMh option, while the UM is NiMh only, though it has to be said that NiMh is always a safer option at present as Li-ion is a new technology. The Urban Mover is a bit lighter.

So it's down to personal preferences from those facts, since as said above, either will easily do your job.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As a Quando and Torq owner, I'll happily second Scott's recommendation, I regularly enjoy the convenience of the Quando for shorter runs of up to 8 miles. It's a lazy option too, since it's power means there's not much need to pedal most of the time.

That might not seem too important, but when the weather's poor and you're not in a cycling mood at the end of a difficult day, being able to sit back and relax on it's very comfortable saddle and let it do all the work can be a real benefit.

Last edited:

Jonathan1

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Urban Mover Comments

Hi,
I did the urban mover review on front page. The sensor problem was promptly fixed with a new one, which has been fine since. The brake squeal is quieter, but not gone completely yet. It may just take time to bed in on the new bike.

Otherwise, I'm still happy with it for my 4 miles each way commute.

As said in review, I did try the one with the pedal torque sensor. It slows up the initial power delivery, but then power level varies depending on how hard you are pedalling. I prefer high initial torque and and smooth power delivery when pedalling, irrespective of force on pedal. I do have to be careful with it when manouvering, because it really goes when power comes in.

Jonathan.

wearypanda

Feb 4, 2007
Hi Andy. Last week I bought an Urban Mover UM36 having narrowed my choice down to either the UM36 or the ezee torq. I will be using the bike occasionally for a round trip of about 12 miles between home and my office in Chippenham. The route back is almost all uphill. Nothing too steep but enough to put me off trying it on a regular bike.

I have made the trip twice now and the bike is good. It needs a fair amount of assistance on the steeper sections, but nothing too strenuous. I must say I enjoy the feeling of having a moderate incline feel like a normal bike on a level road.

The reasons which tipped me to the UM36 were:-

1. Hills do not seem to be the Torq's strong point
2. I feel that a rear hub motor is probably better than a front hub
1. I think the bike looks better

No problems with it so far other than a puncture in the rear wheel which fixed with and injection of goo into the tyre.

Good luck whichever way yo go.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi andy
its always a difficult choice to make between those bikes urban or ezee both good bikes and what your pocket can afford.
But for me this summer the extra speed of the torq will make my trip that bit quicker as for those hills well i just pedel a bit harder.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nothing too steep but enough to put me off trying it on a regular bike.

The reasons which tipped me to the UM36 were:-

1. Hills do not seem to be the Torq's strong point
2. I feel that a rear hub motor is probably better than a front hub
1. I think the bike looks better
"Nothing too steep" means the Torq wouldn't have had any problem, and it's a far more powerful bike Wearypanda.

As I've often said in here, the Torq handles moderate slopes and hills at quite a speed, it's just the very steepest hills like 12% and worse that cause problems due to it's very high motor and bike gearing.

Regarding the rear hub motor, there's benefits both ways. Motor at the rear can give a better ride due to the lower unsprung weight at the front wheel, but having the front motor gives two wheel traction, grippier and safer on poor or wet surfaces.

Of course it's best to do as I've done if you can, have more than one bike! :)

wearypanda

Feb 4, 2007
"Nothing too steep" means the Torq wouldn't have had any problem, and it's a far more powerful bike Wearypanda.

As I've often said in here, the Torq handles moderate slopes and hills at quite a speed, it's just the very steepest hills like 12% and worse that cause problems due to it's very high motor and bike gearing.

Regarding the rear hub motor, there's benefits both ways. Motor at the rear can give a better ride due to the lower unsprung weight at the front wheel, but having the front motor gives two wheel traction, grippier and safer on poor or wet surfaces.

Of course it's best to do as I've done if you can, have more than one bike! :)

two bikes would be nice I agree :)

The 'all wheel drive' benefit of having a front wheel hubmotor had not occured to me. Seems to make sense though. I must say that the choice between the UM and the Torq was not easy as I think they are both great bikes.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
I've had my Urban Mover UM55 for a couple of weeks now, but due to recent weather, (bus weather!) I've only cycled my 6-mile round-trip commute 5 or 6 times. I have no mechanical issues at all with the UM. Everything appears to work as it should, and the motor has adequate power to boost me up my only problem hill. But I'm not too fond of the way the motor is "full on" or "off", with no gradations.

I used to have a Heinzmann motor on a steel-framed hybrid bike. That was a great combination, but the whole package was too heavy for me to comfortably lift and carry - which I have to do, daily. I went for the UM because it's lighter. Well, the complete UM bike costs about the same as a Heinzmann add-on motor kit, so I realise that something's got to give. What I miss now is the Heinzmann's variable control. I could pedal as hard as I felt like, then twist the throttle to bring on as much extra power as I needed - a little for a headwind, or if I wanted to travel slowly; a lot for a steep hill, or maximum available speed.

With the UM, when the pedals are turning, the motor gives all it's got. I want to provide some of the power, for exercise, but unless I speed up to about 14 mph when the motor starts to fade, I can't - I'm just turning pedals with no load. I haven't experimented much yet with the UM twist-grip, but I think it works the same way - nothing at the start of the twist, then when you reach the critical point, the motor is full-on. I've taken to riding with my left hand fingertips on the brake lever, because by twitching the lever I can cut the motor without applying the brakes, leaving me to power the bike. But it's not ideal.

The UM web site mentions a torque sensor as an option extra, but gives no details about how it works. I assume it's the usual "pedal harder and get more motor boost" system. But I don't want the bike deciding how much power to give me - I liked being able to decide for myself.

So, in summary, the UM is probably the best bike for my needs at that price. But if I ever look to upgrade, I'm going to be looking for something that lets me control the power.

Mary

Jonathan1

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
UM update

Hi, have been riding UM36 for over 2 months now, still very pleased with it. As said before, they should have had handlebar flick switch to cut the power when you want to power it yourself, I have now done this just poking two wires into the brake cut off switch connector in the control box. It makes riding great. I like the full on power for accelerating/hills/wind. When I want to power it myself or go slow and controlled, I just switch off and pedal. That's all it needs. The other advantage is that if I know battery is getting low, I can save power for when I really need it. (I tend to exhaust the battery to maximise battery life).

The twist throttle is quite progressive, so is OK on it's own. Trouble is when you start to peddle you get the full on power. I think that if you were to disconnect the pedal sensor, you could control power from twist grip and pedal assist as much as you like, however, you then have to hold the throttle all the time. Alternative to disconnection is a handle bar switch to cut off the pedal sensor input to the control unit. This would give you ability to switch off completely or control from throttle. My switch above cuts off completely, so throttle cannot be used. Problem is you don't really want to meddle with the pedal sensor, because it's not just a switch.

The torque sensor is a cage in the chainring with a 3 "circumferential" springs between pedal/crank and chainring. The spring is compressed and senses when you are pedalling hard. I rode one, and I don't think it is progressive, it seemed to be an on/off switch for low / high power level to motor, but I could be wrong.

good luck

Jonathan.

wearypanda

Feb 4, 2007
I have a torque sensor on order, should be shipped early March. I am beginning to wonder if it is a waste of money. If all it does is change the on/off switch so that it only cuts in when the pedels are being pushed harder then I don't think that is too useful. A progressive power on control is what is needed.