Face Freeze

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Is anyone using anything to stop your face freezing on your way in to work?

I got beyond a joke for me a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't talk properly by the time I got to work!

I started using a scarf but it steamed up my glasses and was uncomfortable on my face. Then I went the whole hog and went for the Respro mask. I thought, might as well combine protection from cold with protection from car fumes. Unfortunately I found it pulled down on my nose and hindered my breathing, plus it still steamed up my glasses. I've finally ended up with the Respro bandit scarf. It doesn't steam up my glasses and although not perfectly comfortable, it's the best I've tried so far.

Anyone got any better suggestions?

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008

I got beyond a joke for me a couple of weeks ago. I couldn't talk properly by the time I got to work!
Hi Caph - I use the car.

I found the biggest problem was my eyes. So I took to wearing some sports glasses. Then it was across the bridge of my nose that really hurt. I know I'm not the quite "right stuff" but I reckon what the hell it's only a few weeks.
I think my bike appreciates a break from all that grit and salt as well.

MazB

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Yep I suffered too with a freezing face, was quite comical as just as I got to work one of my mates stopped me as he was going to the shop, he asked me if I wanted anything and what came out of my mouth sounded like I'd been drinking all monrning :D

I did decide to take the bus one morning, took me nearly 2hrs for a normal half hour journey by bike :eek: and I still had a freezing gob to boot, had to stand and people sneezing and coughing all round...it was miserable!

So it was back on my bike and thankful for it and just wrapped up warm with a scarf still had a freezing gob but it was much more worth it.

Next weeks weather is forcast for hail showers and getting colder again :mad:

Maz.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
I took the train on the coldest days -6 and -4 on those days. I don't normally get frozen face (probably a little too plump around the chops) but my eyes run like crazy when the cold air sweeps over my glasses and passes between lens and eyeball. I get to work looking like I've been crying for a week :eek:

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
And don't forget the runny nose - what do you all do about that?! I saw one guy do the old 'finger on one nostril and snot out the other onto the floor' trick but I'd rather not... ?

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
OMG yeah! I'd forgotten about that, LOL. I'm normally able to sniff it back but sometimes you get that really stubborn one that refuses to stay in and you just have to slyly let the sucker out. Lost count of the times I've washed my gloves on getting home :eek:

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Hi Caph,
I bought a couple of motorcycle neck snoods.
They keep your neck warm and you can pull them up across your nose, ears and cheeks.
Quite cheap too really.

Regards Bob.

I started using a scarf but it steamed up my glasses and was uncomfortable on my face. Then I went the whole hog and went for the Respro mask. I thought, might as well combine protection from cold with protection from car fumes. Unfortunately I found it pulled down on my nose and hindered my breathing, plus it still steamed up my glasses. I've finally ended up with the Respro bandit scarf. It doesn't steam up my glasses and although not perfectly comfortable, it's the best I've tried so far.

Anyone got any better suggestions?

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
OMG yeah! I'd forgotten about that, LOL. I'm normally able to sniff it back but sometimes you get that really stubborn one that refuses to stay in and you just have to slyly let the sucker out. Lost count of the times I've washed my gloves on getting home :eek:
Haha! Thanks for reminding me to wash my gloves... :D

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I too arrive at work as a mute for at least an hour .. though many in the office are very grateful for the cold weather.:D

I use a full face ski mask and sometimes, if really cold, a silk scarf around the mouth area rather than wool which doesn't itch or restrict breathing as much, though it is sodden and cold by the time I get to work. I do find that unless it is exceptionally cold ( most days at the moment!), the ski mask does get very hot and itchy, however, if a motorist cuts you out.. a hard stare through their window at the lights can be very intimidating.

bw
musicbooks

Mattyduk

Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2007
I bought a black material (same as used by divers) ski mask, and a pair of protective glasses. However it did make me look like a terrorist, so I've gone back to just the glasses and a hooded sweatshirt (yes, I look like a granny mugger now !), and refuse to cycle if it's been icey :)

MazB

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Wow, you aint kidding. That website is nuts!

Here's a better one:

Buffwear - Multifunctional Headwear

Check the "How to Wear a Buff" link to the right.

They actually look quite useful!
Had a gander at the above website and they looked so cool and useful that I decided to buy one :D

I can now start a new craze in work "The best way to wear your Bufff" - should amuse the management :p

Maz