Failed on my first big hill

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Don't believe a word Flecc says, legal e-bikes make easy work of any hill. Although my idea of easy probably isn't the same as most people's idea of easyIMG_2948.JPG .

The front wheel is turning here because the front wheel kept popping up in the air as the bike tried to wheelie.

This segments on cobbles too, and just at the steepest bit. http://www.strava.com/segments/1343106

I make it look easy.

My photo doesn't capture the steepness very well, lots of these do though https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8n5j0pjjvgjy3bw/AAB49iXGx2yNTmDZMrjStL6za?dl=0

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks, it was our first ride of the season and first long ride ever on an e-bike so I think we were expecting too much from the bikes. Think we need to get some more rides in and more experience with e-bikes.
I'm sure that's true, I often get relatively unfit over the winter period and struggle at first in the Spring, but a month of two later with more regular riding sees me enjoying powering up hills at speed.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My advantage is that the winter only lasts about 4 weeks, hardly enough time to get unfit :p

Reactions: flecc

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Kevin
I know Cromford Hill very well.

The Wisper uses a combination of Torque sensor and Cadence sensor. Above has been explained that, unlike a Cadence sensor the Torque sensor requires effort from you - and Cromford, after 20 miles of riding will test your fitness!

However, in the top power setting on that bike the Cadence sensor takes over everything, requiring no effort from you - at least that's how I understand how the latest Wispers operate, the Mark 2 (2016 model). It may be different on the 2015 bike you have.

Also you will need to go through 5 full charges on your new battery before it reaches its best condition - the range will improve during that time.

In my view, to tackle something like Cromford (I remember seeing the Tour bunch going up there), if you still have the energy use a lower setting and of course a lower gear. If you're out of ooomph and the battery has the charge then use the top-most setting and take advantage of the cadence sensor to do the vast majority of the work. But you will need the charge that battery will give as it conditions.

Perhaps asking David from Wisper his thoughts would help elaborate.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Exactly, you make it easy. If you don't put any pedal effort into a legal e-bike, few of them will climb anything over 10% and many can only make a 7%.

Legal e-bikes help, but riders still need to be cycling fit to tackle hills worthy of the name.
Unless you are using a CD correctly geared for climbing, the OP's hill would barely warm my trikes BBS01 up in low gear with zero rider input, the Tonaro would also do it but the motor would be quite warm, it also has lowered gearing.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Kevin, firstly thanks for buying a Wisper, we appreciate the business.

Thanks Bob for bringing me into the discussion.

A couple of points; was this a 2015 Mk1 bike or the new 2016 Mk2? There is a difference in the torque produced by the motor on each model. On the Mk1 we used a freewheel gear cluster and were not able to use the highest torque motor available. On the Mk2 we changed to a cassette and increased the torque, this will make a substantial difference when hill climbing.

The Wisper Torque bikes all have five power levels, 1 to 4 are torque settings and the fifth setting is F for Flat. F is used mainly on the "flat" or when riding on a slight decline. It quite simply turns off the torque sensor and leaves the bike in cadence sensor mode only (this is explained in the manual). The effect will be; as long as you are turning the pedals you will achieve full power. Some people like to have the extra power when riding on a flat road. In Torque mode, the torque sensor will recognise the pressure on the pedals has decreased when riding on a flat road and will gradually shut off most of the assistance, this is the way torque sensor bikes achieve far greater ranges. In our experience up to 40% more than a cadence sensor alone.

Level 4 in torque mode does not give you 100% of the power available. The torque bikes are still fitted with a throttle, although now limited to 4mph or "walk along" mode which is also far less powerful so it can not pull a rider over when walking their bike up an incline. To achieve maximum power in torque mode simply twist the throttle and you will get an extra boost. We have done this to maximise range, for the majority of your time on your bike you will not need 100% power but it is there if and when needed. The throttle will work on any setting, it does not matter if you are in 1 2 3 4 by twisting the throttle you will be rewarded with an extra surge of power, as long as the pedals are turning. When you release the throttle the bike will return to the setting on the LCD.

This may seem over complicated but we feel it gives a rider complete control over the assistance available, it only takes a few minutes for the controls to become second nature.

I do hope this helps?

Best regards, David

PS Your fitness will increase rapidly as you use the bikes, soon you will be soaring like an Eagle!

Last edited:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
F for Flat. F is used mainly on the "flat" or when riding on a slight decline. It quite simply turns off the torque sensor and leaves the bike in cadence sensor mode only (this is explained in the manual). The effect will be; as long as you are turning the pedals you will achieve full power. Some people like to have the extra power when riding on a flat road.
The mind boggles at some of the requirements riders require. It is very hard for me to comprehend anyone asking for more power on the flat :eek:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Exactly, you make it easy. If you don't put any pedal effort into a legal e-bike, few of them will climb anything over 10% and many can only make a 7%.

Legal e-bikes help, but riders still need to be cycling fit to tackle hills worthy of the name.
Actually I really should say "The bike and I make it look easy"

Reactions: flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The mind boggles at some of the requirements riders require. It is very hard for me to comprehend anyone asking for more power on the flat :eek:
I know, it seems strange to people with your kind of fitness levels! However it is a definite requirement and very useful when a new customer starts riding.

We believe after a few months they will not need to use it, but it's a useful thing to have if fitness levels aren't great.

All the best, David.

Reactions: Artstu

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually I really should say "The bike and I make it look easy"
And in your case it seems a near perfect partnership. I think with any e-bike it takes time for an owner to understand and get the best out of it, partnering it effectively.

Reactions: DAJ and Artstu

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I guess offering choice does add some confusion. I've never understood lycra...
Yes that's a tricky one, go back just 30 years or so and most riders wore normal clothes, I still prefer to ride in jeans as my photo shows.
Decent breathable and windproof clothing does mean you don't get drenched in sweat as much. I also think there is a lot of peer pressure involved too, you're not accepted into the fold unless you look the part.

Reactions: JuicyBike and flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

I agree, however some people do need more help when starting off biking and will find themselves using the F button less and less as they become fitter.

KevinMull

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2016
Hi Kevin, firstly thanks for buying a Wisper, we appreciate the business.

Thanks Bob for bringing me into the discussion.

A couple of points; was this a 2015 Mk1 bike or the new 2016 Mk2? There is a difference in the torque produced by the motor on each model. On the Mk1 we used a freewheel gear cluster and were not able to use the highest torque motor available. On the Mk2 we changed to a cassette and increased the torque, this will make a substantial difference when hill climbing.

The Wisper Torque bikes all have five power levels, 1 to 4 are torque settings and the fifth setting is F for Flat. F is used mainly on the "flat" or when riding on a slight decline. It quite simply turns off the torque sensor and leaves the bike in cadence sensor mode only (this is explained in the manual). The effect will be; as long as you are turning the pedals you will achieve full power. Some people like to have the extra power when riding on a flat road. In Torque mode, the torque sensor will recognise the pressure on the pedals has decreased when riding on a flat road and will gradually shut off most of the assistance, this is the way torque sensor bikes achieve far greater ranges. In our experience up to 40% more than a cadence sensor alone.

Level 4 in torque mode does not give you 100% of the power available. The torque bikes are still fitted with a throttle, although now limited to 4mph or "walk along" mode which is also far less powerful so it can not pull a rider over when walking their bike up an incline. To achieve maximum power in torque mode simply twist the throttle and you will get an extra boost. We have done this to maximise range, for the majority of your time on your bike you will not need 100% power but it is there if and when needed. The throttle will work on any setting, it does not matter if you are in 1 2 3 4 by twisting the throttle you will be rewarded with an extra surge of power, as long as the pedals are turning. When you release the throttle the bike will return to the setting on the LCD.

This may seem over complicated but we feel it gives a rider complete control over the assistance available, it only takes a few minutes for the controls to become second nature.

I do hope this helps?

Best regards, David

PS Your fitness will increase rapidly as you use the bikes, soon you will be soaring like an Eagle!
Thanks for the info David. Yes, helps very much.

Its a 2015 mk 1 version. There are 3 modes plus 'H' ( I assume meaning 'High'/100% and still in torque mode or does this revert to cadence like 'F' in the 2016 version?).

I was mostly using H, lowest gear and also trying the throttle. I also tried mode 3 and higher gears.

On a side note regarding the LCD controller. I can't find any way to see the MAX/AVG speed and TRIP TIME, which are the bare minimum functions on even the cheapest off the shelf 'bike computer'!

Jason Scott

Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2014
Been on a 20 mile cycle around my home town today on my new(ish) Cube Touring Hybrid 400 (Bosch Active Line motor). I thought I'd tackle a 13% hill (https://goo.gl/maps/qVpmPLmGGfG2) and the bike handled it well on Turbo (250% assistance). I remained seated the entire way, averaging about 6.5-7mph, increasing to about 8.5-9mph towards the top. It required very little to no effort on my part. When I reached the top I stopped to take account of the experiment and saw another cyclist come up the same hill on what looked like a Haibike.

This is the view from the top of the hill, but you can't see where it really descends downwards from here:

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
You will as the years roll on.
Never. I might require a little more help up the hills though. I have my doubts about this whole F button, it sounds like an idea dreamed up by someone who doesn't actually ride a bike.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I managed to grind up Greenhow Hill outside Pateley Bridge in North Yorkshire on my AVE MH7.

Ordinary Bosch motor, but the 20" wheels on the bike make it a good climber.

I was pulling involuntary wheelies on a couple of the steepest 16 per cent bits.

http://cyclinguphill.com/greenhow-hill/

Reactions: Artstu

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just got back from a ride into Navarra and had to use granny gear 3 or 4 times :eek:. That is 48-34. I am really going to put a sram 2 speed derailleur on the front so that I have 38-34 on tap because the mountain pass behind where I was is several kilometres long... Full ride report will be in the HobbyKing r/c Lipo thread later.