Fancy automatic transmission?

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
Or a crank drive system such as the panasonic one. I have a Nuvinci hub fitted on my Agattu, but don't have the automatic shifter. I like the Nuvinci a lot.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just found this, looks interesting, it'd need a front hub motor though.

Fallbrook Technologies
Our member Fecn has a NuVinvi continuous transmission hub in his Agattu, and Shimano have long made a automatic changing version of their three speed hub gear, used with their front hub dynamo which provides the current for the gear changer. Interesting therefore that the two come together, and CVT seems ideal for this automatic application.

Shimano long ago said an auto version of their seven speed hub was following, but it came to nothing.

P.S. Post crossed with Fecn!

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I see it as apossible answer to the overly bity control systems. Simply have one of these with a throttle only hub motor, power both from the same battery, and you're away! :) Might need a BIG battery though, as the peak current for he shifter is 5A :eek: If it peaked when the motor was under serious load things might get a little 'warm'.

It'd be interesting to see how fast the system reacts, as any delay might result in some uncomfortable/unexpected cadence changes. On saying that, this is probably why they use a six point speed sensor.

Last edited: