Fancy this kit?

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Hmmm ... they do draw attention to the requirement to register the resulting bike as a moped or motorcycle ... but if the "testimonials" are genuine I think Mr Mark Appleby of Bristol might find himself spending time at Her Majesty's pleasure if he gets caught 'driving' one with a suspended driving licence
:confused: ... is hinting at people to flout a Court ban really the right message to be sending out in promotional garble ?

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
:confused: ... is hinting at people to flout a Court ban really the right message to be sending out in promotional garble ?
Depends whether you want to make money or not ;)

Capitalism at it's finest.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Some people think electric bikes are underpowered.
This seller obviously thinks so.

80cc ENGINE KIT FOR YOUR ELECTRIC BIKE MOPED BICYCLE | eBay

The mind boggles!
I am actually very glad of those ads. It was almost three years ago that I came across it when I was looking for some kind of assist to help me commute by bike every day to work. I quickly realised that whilst fun, I would soon be pulled over and then I happened upon electric bike kits, this forum and the rest as they say is history :)

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually provided keep pedals on and the motor is not more than 250W as far as I can see this is completely road legal to be classified as a pedelec
Yes, there are quite a few legal ones like this, member Synthman has one.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Actually provided keep pedals on and the motor is not more than 250W as far as I can see this is completely road legal to be classified as a pedelec
That one does look legal, as long as the pedals are kept on. However with less than 200W motor it does beg the question whether it would make it up a hill No mention of top speed. Also there's no indication of any possible range or battery spec ! Rather dubious at first glance ... and is the motor engaged whilst pedalling ? :confused: ...

maybe an under-seat compartment would be a handy store for your helmet when out and about (hate carrying those things about !) but to be honest if you're going to ride a moped then I've found anything under 125cc (which you can throttle out on the flat in the sunshine) is a bit of a pig in a poke. Just saying ! Plus you don't get any exercise or environmental spin-offs, which unless you have a disability is surely at least half the point in going 'bike' !

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
its only legal if the motor is engaged whilst peddling
Not so in the UK where the 1983 EAPC law that's in force permits throttle control without pedalling. EU law at present does not permit independent throttles, but both EU and UK law are currently in a revision process.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Not so in the UK where the 1983 EAPC law that's in force permits throttle control without pedalling. EU law at present does not permit independent throttles, but both EU and UK law are currently in a revision process.
Im sure you have the answer flecc but how come a 250 watt bike with a throttle is apparently ok when it does not meet the either current UK law (200 watt) or EU law (no throttle) ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Im sure you have the answer flecc but how come a 250 watt bike with a throttle is apparently ok when it does not meet the either current UK law (200 watt) or EU law (no throttle) ?
It isn't, it's actually illegal and in theory it's use can be prosecuted and a conviction obtained. The only completely safe course is to follow the 1983 EAPC law, 200 watts with throttle or pedelec control. The next best option is the EU 250 watts with pedelec control only.

However, the law in this area is in a mess with various pieces of legislation in conflict and no e-bikes completely conforming to all requirements, so prosecution is generally avoided. It should all be cleared up in the near future with the revisions currently being worked on by the DfT.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
If they are similar to the 80cc ones in OZ they put out well beyond 2kw, the Sachs units are about the only ones I have seen down here that would be legal.