Fast Legal Bike

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Not so I'm afraid Eddie. The required specifications for these items are laid down. For example the head light doesn't have to have a dipped beam but has strict light position, pattern etc requirements. The simplest solution is to adapt a dedicated moped headlight and position it according to the rules.

This manual shows all the inspection items, with outlines of the requirements to be met detailed in the annexes.
If the owner had just elected to have a daylight only MoT, as EddiePJ mentioned, wouldn't the owner be able to present it minus the headlight, indicators and mirrors? I looked into this several years ago (not ebike related) and thought that what EddiePJ said above was correct.

My research was in relation to a motor cycle, so maybe mopeds are different and there is no such thing as a daylight only MoT for a moped?

I don't like the look of the legal high speed bike, but I admire the owner for doing his homework and having the skill to build it within the rules.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There may be a daylight MOT available Tillson, but I was replying to Eddie's assumption that any mirrors or lights to the owners choice could be used. That isn't so, hence my correction post.

Certainly for the only moped MOT mentioned in the guidance handbook, the full one, those components have strict specifications.

Reactions: tillson
D

Deleted member 4366

If the owner had just elected to have a daylight only MoT, as EddiePJ mentioned, wouldn't the owner be able to present it minus the headlight, indicators and mirrors? I looked into this several years ago (not ebike related) and thought that what EddiePJ said above was correct.

My research was in relation to a motor cycle, so maybe mopeds are different and there is no such thing as a daylight only MoT for a moped?

I don't like the look of the legal high speed bike, but I admire the owner for doing his homework and having the skill to build it within the rules.
Maybe he needed to ride in the dark to get to work!

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Pretty useless not having lights on a motorbike nowadays. Apart from getting caught out in bad visibility most bikers with any sense keep the lights on all the time. I had a street scrambler as they were known well over forty years ago and I used the no lights MOT exemption. It was a Greeves scrambler so there was no way of fitting lights without a lot of hassle. But I think that MOT exception was to allow people to ride their bikes to competitions as many did back then. I don't think it exists anymore either.

Wayne R Clark

Just Joined
Jan 26, 2015
I think this bike looks great, you are all worreid about breaking the law but do you all consider that when your in your cars doing 5 mph over the speed limit?
Some of you are even worried about the law changing but i think thats more of a concern for people selling products that dont want to miss out on their payday.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
.. if you're (and I don't mean you personally SRS) riding one regularly you really need to check what risks you're taking, because should you be involved in an accident - the implications are very serious.
Col,

I admire your determination to scaremonger, but that is all you are doing.

Have you ever ridden a dongled bike?

You post as if a dongle turns a 250W ebike into a Honda Fireblade.

If only, all the dongle does is enable a relatively weedy motor, built for torque not speed, to whirr on a bit.

And if the implications are very serious, let's have some examples.

Of course, there are none.

Could be that dozens of dongle bike owners have been hammered by the law without any cases being made public.

Or it could be it's never happened.

I think it more likely someone with a 1000W dinner plate motor contraption will get into a bit of bother, although once again I can't find any examples.

Col,

I admire your determination to scaremonger, but that is all you are doing.

Have you ever ridden a dongled bike?

You post as if a dongle turns a 250W ebike into a Honda Fireblade.

If only, all the dongle does is enable a relatively weedy motor, built for torque not speed, to whirr on a bit.

And if the implications are very serious, let's have some examples.

Of course, there are none.

Could be that dozens of dongle bike owners have been hammered by the law without any cases being made public.

Or it could be it's never happened.

I think it more likely someone with a 1000W dinner plate motor contraption will get into a bit of bother, although once again I can't find any examples.
RobF, I'm not going to argue with you, but I should present some facts for you and others to see. So I am going to point out that I am Director of a business that sells thousands of eBikes into the UK. We work for KTM, who are in a pretty unique position in being a brand name that makes cars, motorbikes, eMotorbikes, eBikes and push bikes. We are members of BEBA, the Bicycle Association and many other trade only groups and forums in the cycle and motorcycle world. We sell bikes to pedal bike, eBike and motorbike shops. We also work closely with our local police force, we supplied them with bikes - not eBikes yet. We have taken extensive legal advise about the risks to us as a business and to our customers (the KTM shops) and their customers the people who actual ride the bikes.... and I promise you I'm not scaremongering.

I know you think adding a dongle is a small step, its is. However it is the same as riding an sPedelec. So whilst it is a small step, its a crucial one. Which like it or not turns your purchase from a bicycle into a motorcycle in the eyes of the UK law. This is not me scaremongering, its a fact. If you want to test it, ride your dongled bike into a Police station, tell them its not road legal and ask them what would happen if you were to be involved in a crash on the roads or trails, and check if your insurance company would cover you if you were chased for damages as a result of any accident where the injured party was suing for damages.

Please don't accuse me of scaremongering, just because you can't find an example of something happening yet. eBikes in the UK are very new, and their use age is still small scale. But its getting noticed, and like it or not, this is going to take the eBike world into the mainstream, which means it will be looked at more closely.

I'd love to be able to sell sPedelecs and feel safe and comfortable with the liability issues in doing so. I'd also love to be able to sell KTM bikes to shops that insist on ignoring the laws and putting their customers at risk. But I'm afraid we can't and won't.

Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't and when it does, I hope a KTM isn't involved.

There have been eBikes involved in accidents in the UK, including one fatality that I know of, but so far the ones I know of have been on legal bikes, which for the companies and individuals involved has been very grateful, but when things get to insurance company level it gets serious.

If you're happy with the risk, thats fine. But please don't suggest that because I'm putting facts to you (and I don't mean you individually), to help you understand the risk that I'm scaremongering.

Reactions: steve.c

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I think this bike looks great, you are all worreid about breaking the law but do you all consider that when your in your cars doing 5 mph over the speed limit?
Some of you are even worried about the law changing but i think thats more of a concern for people selling products that dont want to miss out on their payday.
It's actually more like using an unregistered kit car or track car on the road without insurance. Not just going a little over the speed limit. As so many have said you would probably get away with it until you had an accident and the police were involved. Even if you were completely innocent of blame for that you would still get it in the neck. Driving a motor vehicle without insurance or a driving licence is usually a banning offence.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
RobF, I'm not going to argue with you, but I should present some facts for you and others to see. So I am going to point out that I am Director of a business that sells thousands of eBikes into the UK. We work for KTM, who are in a pretty unique position in being a brand name that makes cars, motorbikes, eMotorbikes, eBikes and push bikes. We are members of BEBA, the Bicycle Association and many other trade only groups and forums in the cycle and motorcycle world. We sell bikes to pedal bike, eBike and motorbike shops. We also work closely with our local police force, we supplied them with bikes - not eBikes yet. We have taken extensive legal advise about the risks to us as a business and to our customers (the KTM shops) and their customers the people who actual ride the bikes.... and I promise you I'm not scaremongering.

I know you think adding a dongle is a small step, its is. However it is the same as riding an sPedelec. So whilst it is a small step, its a crucial one. Which like it or not turns your purchase from a bicycle into a motorcycle in the eyes of the UK law. This is not me scaremongering, its a fact. If you want to test it, ride your dongled bike into a Police station, tell them its not road legal and ask them what would happen if you were to be involved in a crash on the roads or trails, and check if your insurance company would cover you if you were chased for damages as a result of any accident where the injured party was suing for damages.

Please don't accuse me of scaremongering, just because you can't find an example of something happening yet. eBikes in the UK are very new, and their use age is still small scale. But its getting noticed, and like it or not, this is going to take the eBike world into the mainstream, which means it will be looked at more closely.

I'd love to be able to sell sPedelecs and feel safe and comfortable with the liability issues in doing so. I'd also love to be able to sell KTM bikes to shops that insist on ignoring the laws and putting their customers at risk. But I'm afraid we can't and won't.

Just because something hasn't happened yet, doesn't mean it won't and when it does, I hope a KTM isn't involved.

There have been eBikes involved in accidents in the UK, including one fatality that I know of, but so far the ones I know of have been on legal bikes, which for the companies and individuals involved has been very grateful, but when things get to insurance company level it gets serious.

If you're happy with the risk, thats fine. But please don't suggest that because I'm putting facts to you (and I don't mean you individually), to help you understand the risk that I'm scaremongering.

Col,

I understand the situation perfectly well.

KTM has been advised by lawyers not to sell S-pedelecs.

My, that must have been a surprise given they are not legal.

You are losing some sales because of this, so have embarked on a crusade to level the playing field for KTM.

No problems there, that's your job.

Many people not conversant with ebikes will swallow the bullshine, but you can't expect everyone to.

You are clinging to the notion that something vanishingly unlikely will happen to someone, and using that to warn others.

That is scaremongering.

Again, fine, all's fair in love and business.

You cannot produce any cases to back up your grave predictions.

OK, let's try to come up with a remotely likely scenario.

Any car/bike accident the bike/cyclist will come of worst, so the question of the bike never comes into it.

Clouting a pedestrian with a dongled ebike sounds more promising, but is it?

If the pedestrian sues the ebiker for damages, the amount claimed is for the injuries, it doesn't vary with the type of bike.

There is no compulsory insurance for cyclists.

Most, I reckon, don't have it, so for them the ebike or not, dongled or not question never arises.

An insurance company could, in theory, refuse to payout on a dongled ebiker's policy.

But the company would have to show the dongle played a part in the accident.

Even then the claim is more likely to be redrawn than refused.

But how many ordinary cyclists, let alone ebikers, do you know who have been sued for damages?

The doomsday scenario which you are so quick to predict depends on a string of highly unlikely events which all have to happen at the right time and in the right order.

It just 'aint gonna happen.

D

Deleted member 4366

The chance of an insurance company or the Police knowing what a dongle is is pretty small. If you're not totally wiped out in an accident, you could remove it anyway.

Although the dongle technically changes the bike from a bicycle to a motor vehicle, it would fall into the same general catagory of illegal vehicles like electric stand-on scooters, mini-motos, etc. If you get caught on those, you don't get the book thrown at you. You either get advised not to use it again, or (normally second offence) you get a section 59 notice, which says if you do it again, your bike will be confiscated. All that is if you're riding it responsibly, and you're polite. If you're riding irresponsibly enough to get a complaint, you could get immediate confiscation, which is often what happens with mini-motos.

There's a lot of technically illegal electric bicycles on the road. After all that police activity in London, some must have been stopped and identified, but noone seems to have been prosecuted. We can only assume that they were advised to take their bike home and not use it again in it's illegal state. I very much doubt that any dongled bikes got noticed as it's only the top speed that changed. There's no extra power from the motor, and you only get the speed if you pedal like your life depends on it. As already said, you won't be keeping up with the motorbikes.

Col,

I understand the situation perfectly well.
Clearly not I'm afraid... which is emphasised by this single point.

There is no compulsory insurance for cyclists.
If you're riding an sPedelec, or a dongled eBike, its not a cycle, its a motorbike, so insurance IS compulsory, you're just choosing to ignore that law.

There were a lot of accidents involving bicycles in 2013.

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/cycling/facts-figures.aspx

Cyclist Casualties, 2013
Child Adult All
Killed 6 103 109
Seriously Injured 276 2,867 3,143
Slightly Injured 1,676 14,510 16,186
Total 1,958 17,480 19,438

what % of these do you think involved eBikes? The answer is VERY small. The % of eBikes involved in these accidents will grow, and all we're worried about is the actions of the few breaking the law now, resulting in a high profile accident that causes the currently very relaxed eBike regulations to be tightened up. ie any bike with a motor is classed as a motorbike and has to have insurance and tax etc etc. Can you imagine what that would do the to eBike industry?

and saying, "well if I was in a crash I'd just pull the dongle out is ridiculous really". If someones insurance company came after you, they be a bit more vigorous than that, and if there is even a hint that you're riding an illegal vehicle, they will find out.

I appreciate you think we're just worried about loosing sales... but we're not - ask any KTM dealer - we're already selling out of 2015 bikes. What we're worried about customers not understanding the risks and their liability, and us loosing an entire business stream, before it even really kicks off.

Reactions: steve.c

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Col,

What do you think the insurance company 'coming after me' is going to do? Put me in prison? Shoot me?

If I crash into someone/something my liability is just that.

Say I scrape the wing of someone's car.

I'm down for the paint repair - a fixed sum - it's not more just because I'm riding an ebike, dongled ebike, or a ruddy horse come to that.

Same as if I knock someone over, their injury is what it is.

Some personal injury claims can be high, but too many people confuse personal injury with the Lottery sums paid out in medical negligence cases.

On its own, a broken arm or leg is worth very little - hundreds usually.

That's partly why you rarely hear of a cyclist being sued, that and being hit by a bike rarely results in anything more than scuffed coat.

The ingredients for the catastrophe scenario you keep on promoting are just not there.

'Sales' and 'entire business stream' may have different meanings in marketing school, but they come to the same thing around here.

Reactions: trex

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Clearly not I'm afraid... which is emphasised by this single point.

If you're riding an sPedelec, or a dongled eBike, its not a cycle, its a motorbike, so insurance IS compulsory, you're just choosing to ignore that law.

There were a lot of accidents involving bicycles in 2013.

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandinformation/cycling/facts-figures.aspx

Cyclist Casualties, 2013
Child Adult All
Killed 6 103 109
Seriously Injured 276 2,867 3,143
Slightly Injured 1,676 14,510 16,186
Total 1,958 17,480 19,438

what % of these do you think involved eBikes? The answer is VERY small. The % of eBikes involved in these accidents will grow, and all we're worried about is the actions of the few breaking the law now, resulting in a high profile accident that causes the currently very relaxed eBike regulations to be tightened up. ie any bike with a motor is classed as a motorbike and has to have insurance and tax etc etc. Can you imagine what that would do the to eBike industry?

and saying, "well if I was in a crash I'd just pull the dongle out is ridiculous really". If someones insurance company came after you, they be a bit more vigorous than that, and if there is even a hint that you're riding an illegal vehicle, they will find out.

I appreciate you think we're just worried about loosing sales... but we're not - ask any KTM dealer - we're already selling out of 2015 bikes. What we're worried about customers not understanding the risks and their liability, and us loosing an entire business stream, before it even really kicks off.
i wonder if we could have a break down, in percentage, between those forumites who, a - enjoy reading this thread, b - feel it makes them actively consider self harm, and c - feel like riding a dongled bike into a tree at high speed for having to re-read the same stuff yet again. I think we are all, now, truly, cognizant with all of these arguments.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
RobF.
I don't think that it is scaremongering. It is a fair statement of the law.
If an ebike injures a pedestrian, then those 'No win, no fee' lawyers may take the case on.
Damages could be huge, plus all the legal costs.
Insurance companies will not 'redraw' the claim. They will simply refuse to pay. The court will award damages against you, not the Insurance company, who in normal cases will pick up the bill
If they refuse, what are you going to do?
You could try suing them, but your assertion,
Is just not so. In fact it has nothing to do with it. The Insurance company would simply tell the court that the bike involved in the accident was not the one they insured in that they insured a legal bike, the bike involved was not legal even if it was only doing 10mph

Col,

What do you think the insurance company 'coming after me' is going to do? Put me in prison? Shoot me?

If I crash into someone/something my liability is just that.

Say I scrape the wing of someone's car.

I'm down for the paint repair - a fixed sum - it's not more just because I'm riding an ebike, dongled ebike, or a ruddy horse come to that.

Same as if I knock someone over, their injury is what it is.

Some personal injury claims can be high, but too many people confuse personal injury with the Lottery sums paid out in medical negligence cases.

That's partly why you rarely hear of a cyclist being sued, that and being hit by a bike rarely results in anything more than scuffed coat.

The ingredients for the catastrophe scenario you keep on promoting are just not there.

'Sales' and 'entire business stream' may have different meanings in marketing school, but they come to the same thing around here.
Rob, you clearly don't understand the law, liability or anything you're debating. So Id suggest actually speaking to others who KNOW how it works and then coming back on here.

Liabilty, does not stop with you, if you're involved in an accident riding an illegal vehicle on the roads, if you've been sold the parts by someone who knew you didn't have access to a private estate on which to ride said bike.

How much do you think the fixed sum will be if the person involved in the accident has to have a period off work, or is god forbid paralysed? You really seem to be taking risks blindly. Which is 100% the reason we keep coming back to this debate on here. Because those of you who are pro-riding illegal bikes on the whole don't seem to really understand your case.

I'd be happy to agree or open up to any ideas you have that are correct, but some of your statements are way off I'm afraid, and others reading this need to know that.

Cyclists get sued all the time!!! The fact you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have insurance for this reason because I cycle on the roads all the time. My club also insist on having it before we can ride as a group.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
From my experience of motorcycle accidents I usually lay down in the road mumbling "kerching!"

Examples of compensation amounts for your arm injury claim

1. Minor arm injury claim
If you suffer soft tissue injuries (muscles damage) and a simple fracture or broken bone in the forearm or upper arm - either the ulna, radius or humerus - and such fracture heals quickly with no ongoing problems: up to £4,200
2. Fractured forearm or upper arm with ongoing symptoms
If it takes some time for your broken arm to heal and you have some ongoing pain, but only to a small degree, you can expect your arm injury claim to be worth between: £4,200 - £12,3000
3. Arm injury with ongoing disability
If your arm injury heals, but leaves some significant symptoms, but these symptoms still allow your arm to function: £12,300 - £25,000

Even for a hardly noticable 0.5 cm friction burn scar on my shin under my leathers I recieved £1000 compensation after getting hit side on by a car at a junction.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
From my experience of motorcycle accidents I usually lay down in the road mumbling "kerching!"

Examples of compensation amounts for your arm injury claim

1. Minor arm injury claim
If you suffer soft tissue injuries (muscles damage) and a simple fracture or broken bone in the forearm or upper arm - either the ulna, radius or humerus - and such fracture heals quickly with no ongoing problems: up to £4,200
2. Fractured forearm or upper arm with ongoing symptoms
If it takes some time for your broken arm to heal and you have some ongoing pain, but only to a small degree, you can expect your arm injury claim to be worth between: £4,200 - £12,3000
3. Arm injury with ongoing disability
If your arm injury heals, but leaves some significant symptoms, but these symptoms still allow your arm to function: £12,300 - £25,000

Even for a hardly noticable 0.5 cm friction burn scar on my shin under my leathers I recieved £1000 compensation after getting hit side on by a car at a junction.
I don't doubt any of the above.

But none of these sums change depending on whether the injury is caused by a bike, ebike, dongled ebike or anything else for that matter.

Many - I would say most - cyclists ride uninsured, so they are taking those risks personally.

The reason they are content to do that is because they know that if they ride responsibly, it is vanishingly unlikely they will be on the wrong end of a major claim.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Rob, you clearly don't understand the law, liability or anything you're debating. So Id suggest actually speaking to others who KNOW how it works and then coming back on here.

Liabilty, does not stop with you, if you're involved in an accident riding an illegal vehicle on the roads, if you've been sold the parts by someone who knew you didn't have access to a private estate on which to ride said bike.

How much do you think the fixed sum will be if the person involved in the accident has to have a period off work, or is god forbid paralysed? You really seem to be taking risks blindly. Which is 100% the reason we keep coming back to this debate on here. Because those of you who are pro-riding illegal bikes on the whole don't seem to really understand your case.

I'd be happy to agree or open up to any ideas you have that are correct, but some of your statements are way off I'm afraid, and others reading this need to know that.

Cyclists get sued all the time!!! The fact you don't know about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have insurance for this reason because I cycle on the roads all the time. My club also insist on having it before we can ride as a group.
Col,

Cyclists get sued all the time do they?

Let's have some examples, should be dead easy, you are in the trade and it happens all the time.

I've done thousands of miles and never hit anyone, let alone come close to causing injury or serious injury.

You've done more miles than me, I think, how many people have you clouted?

I resent being patted on the head and told I don't understand by someone who has a big axe to grind and a long history of scaremongering.

People can make up their own minds/do their own research.

I don't doubt any of the above.

But none of these sums change depending on whether the injury is caused by a bike, ebike, dongled ebike or anything else for that matter.

Many - I would say most - cyclists ride uninsured, so they are taking those risks personally.

The reason they are content to do that is because they know that if they ride responsibly, it is vanishingly unlikely they will be on the wrong end of a major claim.
RobF.... please tell me what you're basing these sweeping statements on? Have you had any formal legal training, or done any research to give you this confidence?

Because. If you're involved in an accident and you're on a vehicle that isn't considered safe to be used on UK roads... of course its going to have an impact on your liability. It'll mean that even if you were the victim in the accident, you'll will become the cause. So you could go from being injured and your life insurance company sueing to cover your medical costs... and then finding yourself being the cause, because your bike shouldn't have been on the road. So your insurance company will have no case and you'll be liablel for all costs personally.

Plus you'll loose your driving license because you'll get 12 points straight off for driving an illegal vehicle, no tax, no insurance etc etc.

Buy, hey ho, I'm just scaremongering (or as I prefer to think of it - understanding what I'm doing when I take a vehicle onto the roads!)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
RobF.
I don't think that it is scaremongering. It is a fair statement of the law.
If an ebike injures a pedestrian, then those 'No win, no fee' lawyers may take the case on.
Damages could be huge, plus all the legal costs.
Insurance companies will not 'redraw' the claim. They will simply refuse to pay. The court will award damages against you, not the Insurance company, who in normal cases will pick up the bill
If they refuse, what are you going to do?
You could try suing them, but your assertion,
Is just not so. In fact it has nothing to do with it. The Insurance company would simply tell the court that the bike involved in the accident was not the one they insured in that they insured a legal bike, the bike involved was not legal even if it was only doing 10mph
Mike,

Insurance companies do need to show the error/omission on the proposal contributed to the claim before they can redraw.

Plenty of examples of insurance companies having to pay a theft claim on a car that's been modded without their knowledge.

As regards 'no win no fee' lawyers, they are only interested if there's some meat on the claim.

Do you think there's a big risk of causing substantial injury to a pedestrian by riding an ebike?

Experience tells me there is a very low risk of causing such an injury, which there would need to be for your doomsday scenario to kick in.

And if, like many cyclists, you ride uninsured, it doesn't really matter what you are riding because any claim is down to you anyway.