Fifth London Cyclist dies in nine days

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc

Defensive riding is what you are talking about. It would appear that a great many cyclists do not understand the techniques associated with this style of riding.

It does take positive action and some nerve at times but does increase safety massively. How can this stye of riding be promoted, any ideas?
For the large numbers who are too frightened by traffic to ride defensively by enforcing their road space, I think it can only be learnt by them being taught in a practical traffic situation by accompanying instructors.

Just telling them to do it through publicity etc doesn't work, their traffic fear is too great to try, so they continue to cringe close to the kerb where they can get crushed in any incident.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Since video is popular, here's one from LCC blog that linked to Guardian, enjoy!;-)
Shows guy on CS2 nearly get side-swiped by van undertaking another vehicle by going into the bike/bus lane. Mikey. A cyclist's view of London's notorious Cycle Superhighway 2 - video | Life and style | theguardian.com.

This video shows those of us lucky enough to live 400 miles from London just how lucky we are. We hear about Boris and the super cycle highway and it's really just some faded blue paint at the side of the road.

The rush hour in my town lasts about an hour and has nowhere near that level of traffic.

Thank God I'm a country bumpkin. ;)

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
Since video is popular, here's one from LCC blog that linked to Guardian, enjoy!;-)
Shows guy on CS2 nearly get side-swiped by van undertaking another vehicle by going into the bike/bus lane. Mikey. A cyclist's view of London's notorious Cycle Superhighway 2 - video | Life and style | theguardian.com.
I still don't understand the need to repeatedly cycle that route for some cyclists. If that was my route home from work then I would look up another route. Ones that come to mind are turning off at cambridge heath and going via roman road to head a bit north or out past limehouse to go a bit south. People who have cars I assume do some basic route planning before they set off and will plan to avoid known traffic hotspots and things whenever they set out so why is it unreasonable for people with bikes to do the same? Both those routes add at most 1 mile/5min cycling.

Free cycle maps, draw red circles of places you don't want to cycle again/avoid if it helps you remember.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/11682.aspx

The 1st time you cycle a road/path you can argue it is tfl putting you in danger, the 2nd time you cycle a road/path you know what you are getting yourself into, the 100th time you cycle a road/path you feel is dangerous is just you pushing your luck.