Fiido D21

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
There're plenty of reviews stressing the strengths and weaknesses of the Pure Flux. The main drawbacks to me would be the lack of gears making hills a buggar, and the small 7Ah battery severely limiting range. The controller programming (how power is applied) is reported as poor too.

If your mate is already a reasonably strong cyclist looking to undertake short darts over flat paved/tarmac roads and only in dry weather, it's probably an okay choice. By time you add mudguards, lights, kickstand and all the other peripheries like a rack for commuting or touring, the weight and cost adds up and the range shortens even more. As supplied it has very limited applications IMHO. A Crossfuse or Cube hybrid is far more refined and versatile, although that comes at a cost.
I will pass it on, thanks for the advice again.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Even though I have 2 full-sized hybrid e-bikes and bought the folding Fiido D11 only for the necessity of commuting/taking on trains, in reality I'm finding I'm using the D11 more and more in daily use, even in preference to my full-sized e-bikes.

The compact nature of the D11 (as with the D21) has a "grab and go" appeal, whereas my full sized e-bikes seem to need a mental adjustment of "getting ready to go" about them - which is fine on a planned day-trip out for excercise or leisure riding/touring.

The other appeal to me of the D11 is the effortlessness of a cadence based system, whereby you can choose to put effort into pedaling or not if you're feeling tired or lazy. That compares to my other e-bikes of torque sensing, as with the D21 & X models, where it demands you put at least some effort into pedaling.

I do now wonder if the torque sensing D21 and Fiido X had been available at the time I bought the cadence sensing D11 if I'd have chosen differently. Somehow, I'm glad that choice wasn't open to me.

My first brand new full-sized e-bike was cadence based. I hated it and sold it very quickly, preferring instead Torque sensing e-bikes thereafter. Now though, I'm seeing the appeal of cadence, as other members here have long advocated.

I guess it's horses for courses. I hope @stormfeet keeps this thread updated on his D21.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
Even though I have 2 full-sized hybrid e-bikes and bought the folding Fiido D11 only for the necessity of commuting/taking on trains, in reality I'm finding I'm using the D11 more and more in daily use, even in preference to my full-sized e-bikes.

The compact nature of the D11 (as with the D21) has a "grab and go" appeal, whereas my full sized e-bikes seem to need a mental adjustment of "getting ready to go" about them - which is fine on a planned day-trip out for excercise or leisure riding/touring.

The other appeal to me of the D11 is the effortlessness of a cadence based system, whereby you can choose to put effort into pedaling or not if you're feeling tired or lazy. That compares to my other e-bikes of torque sensing, as with the D21 & X models, where it demands you put at least some effort into pedaling.

I do now wonder if the torque sensing D21 and Fiido X had been available at the time I bought the cadence sensing D11 if I'd have chosen differently. Somehow, I'm glad that choice wasn't open to me.

My first brand new full-sized e-bike was cadence based. I hated it and sold it very quickly, preferring instead Torque sensing e-bikes thereafter. Now though, I'm seeing the appeal of cadence, as other members here have long advocated.

I guess it's horses for courses. I hope @stormfeet keeps this thread updated on his D21.
I here what you say. I’m so torn between the D11, D21 and the x model. Just not sure which one to get lol

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I here what you say. I’m so torn between the D11, D21 and the x model. Just not sure which one to get lol
Honestly, I'd dismiss the X as a choice. It's too new. I see that electronic keypad lock being big trouble in the longer term - just with wear and tear and the (high) possibility of water ingress causing havoc. And the X weighs 2kg more - important when you're throwing the bike around into lifts, on stairs, on and off trains etc.

Both D11 and D21 have the bugs ironed out and good value choices... although plenty other brands/options exist too.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
Honestly, I'd dismiss the X as a choice. It's too new. I see that electronic keypad lock being big trouble in the longer term - just with wear and tear and the (high) possibility of water ingress causing havoc. And the X weighs 2kg more - important when you're throwing the bike around into lifts, on stairs, on and off trains etc.

Both D11 and D21 have the bugs ironed out and good value choices... although plenty other brands/options exist too.
You give such great advice, you’re right about the x I could see things going wrong with it, I’m new to this electric bike thing so want the right bike and I wasn’t sure what cadence system and the Torque sensing system were from your last post, so I just had to look it up. the D21 would be best for me I think as I would like it to feel like riding a bike otherwise I would get lazy and just sit back.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
Hi! New to the forum. Has anyone got the new Fiido D21 folding electric bike? On paper it seems to be the Fiido D11 that's been out for a couple of years, but has an added torque sensor.
Specifically I'd be interested if the speed limit (for assist) could be tweaked similar to the D11.
It's not designed to be a fast bike, but a few more mph does help. Thanks in advance!
Hi Stormfeet,
When your D21 arrived did it have any weld issues. Mine arrived today with holes in the frame just to the left of the release catch for folding the bike. I’ve attached photos

Attachments

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That's neither right nor acceptable. Fiido's warranty policy is here. Email your photos and other details to them on the address given. It should be replaced.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
That's neither right nor acceptable. Fiido's warranty policy is here. Email your photos and other details to them on the address given. It should be replaced.
I’ve phoned them today and emailed the photos. I’ve got to wait until tomorrow until they get a response from Fiido. I will be asking for a replacement. Thanks for the info

stormfeet

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 24, 2022
I've had a look at those photos, did not get the weld issue near the clamp. I do see a similar notch in the weld in photo 2 (seat tube meets top tube) but thought it was meant to be like that (for a cheap bike at least)

Had had the D21 about 2 or 3 weeks now.

It climbs small hills fine on assist level 3, even when pedalling in the highest gear. Downhill resistance of the Fiido is higher than normal-wheel-sized bikes, freewheeling is slow; I tend to get smoked downhill by the freewheeling normal pedal bikes. The Fiido climbs well enough to annoy them beforehand though!

It's possible to be lazy and do the throttle-only gliding at 24km/h on flat ground, although that gets boring.

The speed unlock trick (described above) definitely works, am getting a bit more than 15 mph on assist which is fine for commuting.

Haven't managed to unlock the display (so my bike's display is still capped at 25 km/h), whenever I tried it reset the speed unlock so I had to do that again. It's no real bother, the bike will never touch 20 mph so no need to look at the display.

Chain showed beginnings of rust, but a spray of ACF50 is an easy fix

The D21 could benefit from folding into a more compact form, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with what it is and how it is.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
I've had a look at those photos, did not get the weld issue near the clamp. I do see a similar notch in the weld in photo 2 (seat tube meets top tube) but thought it was meant to be like that (for a cheap bike at least)

Had had the D21 about 2 or 3 weeks now.

It climbs small hills fine on assist level 3, even when pedalling in the highest gear. Downhill resistance of the Fiido is higher than normal-wheel-sized bikes, freewheeling is slow; I tend to get smoked downhill by the freewheeling normal pedal bikes. The Fiido climbs well enough to annoy them beforehand though!

It's possible to be lazy and do the throttle-only gliding at 24km/h on flat ground, although that gets boring.

The speed unlock trick (described above) definitely works, am getting a bit more than 15 mph on assist which is fine for commuting.

Haven't managed to unlock the display (so my bike's display is still capped at 25 km/h), whenever I tried it reset the speed unlock so I had to do that again. It's no real bother, the bike will never touch 20 mph so no need to look at the display.

Chain showed beginnings of rust, but a spray of ACF50 is an easy fix

The D21 could benefit from folding into a more compact form, but other than that, I'm pretty happy with what it is and how it is.
Hi Stormfeet,
I had a number of issues with the holes and chips in the paint. The shop refunded me £85 pound and they sent me an email to say that the holes are fine, no structure issues. I agree with what you have said above really good on hills but slow down hills. I use it everyday now and think it’s a great bike for the money and commuting on the train. Only had to charge the bike once in 7 days and the battery bar was still showing half. Only doing 9 miles day but with some good hills on the way.

TaffandEvan

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2022
Hi Stormfeet,
I had a number of issues with the holes and chips in the paint. The shop refunded me £85 pound and they sent me an email to say that the holes are fine, no structure issues. I agree with what you have said above really good on hills but slow down hills. I use it everyday now and think it’s a great bike for the money and commuting on the train. Only had to charge the bike once in 7 days and the battery bar was still showing half. Only doing 9 miles day but with some good hills on the way.
How do you get the bike to go a little faster again, I can’t find it in your posts

stormfeet

Jan 24, 2022
Okay, first annoying bug found with the D21, specifically the spring located at the big hinge between the two halves of the bike, that which protects the internal cables from being pinched/damaged.
Over a few weeks of use, my spring stretched and developed a wider circumference than it had originally. This led to the spring being unable to retract fully into the frame when the bike unfolds, and wedges itself preventing the 2 halves from clamping tightly shut. Pretty annoying.

Called the dealer and was advised that this is rare but not unknown, the solution being "turning the spring counterclockwise while pushing it back into the frame." Alternatively, to cut the spring and replace it with a plastic cable-holder off amazon. Was assured this doesn't void the warranty. My spring is too wide now for the first option, so shall report back when the new cable holder arrives.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
...my spring stretched and developed a wider circumference than it had originally.
If you look at the spring, the ends have bigger windings. It can have a tendancy to "screw" or pull it's way through the frame holes. In the extreme, it can get trapped and distort to the point you can't fold/lock the frame back together (or so I've read). You can buy new ones for £6 from Fiido, but the issue is feeding the cables through the spring. Knowng this can happen, I check mine and wiggle it back every now and then. Like wheel spoke tension, you just need to keep an eye on it.
Fiido hinge spring.jpg

Reactions: stormfeet

runadventurer

Just Joined
Jul 20, 2022
Looking at buying a folding ebike (research phase). I was looking at a fiido d11 and d21 but then I read all the legal stuff. If I’m reading it right to be classed as an epac in the uk the bike should have a ce sticker so it complies with the EU rules which include max motor 250 and no throttle pedal assist only. So I figured fiido isn’t compliant and so you might end up in trouble if stopped by the rozzers. I found the himo z20 max which does include a ce sticker and has had the throttle removed to comply with the rules. Does the fiido have a ce sticker? No Throttle? If it did it would be my top pick due to its weight otherwise it’s the himo z20 max for me I think

stormfeet

Jan 24, 2022
Looking at buying a folding ebike (research phase). I was looking at a fiido d11 and d21 but then I read all the legal stuff. If I’m reading it right to be classed as an epac in the uk the bike should have a ce sticker so it complies with the EU rules which include max motor 250 and no throttle pedal assist only. So I figured fiido isn’t compliant and so you might end up in trouble if stopped by the rozzers. I found the himo z20 max which does include a ce sticker and has had the throttle removed to comply with the rules. Does the fiido have a ce sticker? No Throttle? If it did it would be my top pick due to its weight otherwise it’s the himo z20 max for me I think
I believe it's a twist throttle (with sustained power) that's not allowed.
The D21 has a thumb throttle.

There's printed text on the motor itself stating 250w.
They sell such stickers on Ebay though. But with the tiny motor size it's pretty clear it won't be a bike physically capable of naughty speeds (unlike a 750 watt motor which is much larger).

I've ridden past countless police in London who don't bat an eyelid.

The D21 is available via the Cycle-to-Work scheme which means it's vetted for legality

Reactions: runadventurer

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Does the fiido have a ce sticker? No Throttle?
Do you mean an EN compliance sticker? My D11 does have a CE sticker. As SF says, 36v 250w to show legal compliance is clearly printed directly on the motor (not a label). The thumb throttle is easily/simply unplugged if it worries you.

Reactions: runadventurer

bela89

Jul 17, 2022
The D21 is available via the Cycle-to-Work scheme which means it's vetted for legality
Any chance you know which one? None of the dozen or so sights I've found fiido or himo on have offered the scheme

Many thanks