Fiido D21

bela89

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 17, 2022
Vive Scooters was the shop i got mine delivered from
Thanks! Was actually one of the sites I looked on but dismissed because didn't see any mention of the scheme. Have contacted them directly to confirm but assuming for now they no longer offer it :-(

stormfeet

Jan 24, 2022
Thanks! Was actually one of the sites I looked on but dismissed because didn't see any mention of the scheme. Have contacted them directly to confirm but assuming for now they no longer offer it :-(
I'm told that Green Commute Initiative is a decent alternative to the cycle-to-work scheme, and that it's quick and easy for shops and customers to register with.

bela89

Jul 17, 2022
I'm told that Green Commute Initiative is a decent alternative to the cycle-to-work scheme, and that it's quick and easy for shops and customers to register with.
I'll check it out because there is a chance my work won't introduce the cycle scheme. Hopefully then this GCI is an alternative.
The company got back and confirmed that they sell the bikes on the scheme! So now down to waiting and hoping company introduces this.

Reactions: stormfeet

bela89

Jul 17, 2022
I had a brief look at it, and I'm no expert at all about all of this, but why would an employer potentially reject having a cycle 2 work scheme but accept green initiative one?

stormfeet

Jan 24, 2022
I had a brief look at it, and I'm no expert at all about all of this, but why would an employer potentially reject having a cycle 2 work scheme but accept green initiative one?
"Less paperwork to be filled in on the shop's side" was what I got told by a bike shop friend. I have no direct experience, personally.

bela89

Jul 17, 2022
"Less paperwork to be filled in on the shop's side" was what I got told by a bike shop friend. I have no direct experience, personally.
Fair enough thanks. Sounds like it's more about onboarding new shops as opposed to increasing amount of companies offering the benefit

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
To be frank, I don't know why any employer or retailer would even bother messing around with these schemes on such a minimal margin product. With a Cube, Giant, R&M etc etc, there's at least some profit to be made. But on these Fiido, Himo, Ado, Eskute, Engwe etc bikes - i.e. direct Chinese import bikes - the margins are so very slim to start with, the cost of these schemes erase any profit (either direct or eaten up in admin costs) as to question why they even bother.

That likely explains why so very very few retailers offer these bikes to start with, and even fewer even entertain the notion of engaging in these tax avoidance "Cycle to Work" schemes.

Reactions: stormfeet

guppy02

Just Joined
Sep 11, 2022
I stumbled on this thread and noticed it's quite active. I am an avid cyclist mostly road.

However i have liked the idea of a folding bike for some time. This summer i have been using the train and bike to get to work. Now we are heading into Winter i like the idea of folding ebike even more.

I have been looking at loads of bikes and come to the conclusion that Fiido are the best option for me. Specifically the D21.

I don't know where is best to buy one. I am looking at a seller on eBay that listed in Poland at a competitive price. Has anyone purchased of a seller on eBay or have experience?

I wanted to use the cycle scheme but i can not find anywhere that sells them and is part of the Vivup cycle to work scheme.

stormfeet

Jan 24, 2022
To be frank, I don't know why any employer or retailer would even bother messing around with these schemes on such a minimal margin product. With a Cube, Giant, R&M etc etc, there's at least some profit to be made. But on these Fiido, Himo, Ado, Eskute, Engwe etc bikes - i.e. direct Chinese import bikes - the margins are so very slim to start with, the cost of these schemes erase any profit (either direct or eaten up in admin costs) as to question why they even bother.

That likely explains why so very very few retailers offer these bikes to start with, and even fewer even entertain the notion of engaging in these tax avoidance "Cycle to Work" schemes.
True, i also found that some retailers (Vive Scooters in my case) sometimes offer the bike with a discount for direct sales, but this discount does not apply via the cycle scheme. In the end I bought directly just to save time, the difference was £80

stormfeet

Jan 24, 2022
I stumbled on this thread and noticed it's quite active. I am an avid cyclist mostly road.

However i have liked the idea of a folding bike for some time. This summer i have been using the train and bike to get to work. Now we are heading into Winter i like the idea of folding ebike even more.

I have been looking at loads of bikes and come to the conclusion that Fiido are the best option for me. Specifically the D21.

I don't know where is best to buy one. I am looking at a seller on eBay that listed in Poland at a competitive price. Has anyone purchased of a seller on eBay or have experience?

I wanted to use the cycle scheme but i can not find anywhere that sells them and is part of the Vivup cycle to work scheme.
Vivescooters.co.uk does the cycle scheme for the Fiido D21

As an aside, I might be selling mine in the next few weeks, it's still under warranty until Feb 2023.

My new office location requires me to commute home through some large parkland / marshes in the pitch dark, so for safety's sake a suspension bike is on the cards. The D21 is fine on roads/paths but it's a stiff frame ultimately not ideal for off-road.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are the D21's rims wide enough for wider tyres? Might not make enough of a difference? What are the widest tyres D21 rims can accommodate? Does anyone have D21 rim measurements? My one gripe about my Dahon's otherwise excellent rims, is that they're too narrow for even 1.75" tyres - I've had to turn to Tern, but their wide rimmed wheels are increasingly rare to source.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
The D21 is fine on roads/paths but it's a stiff frame ultimately not ideal for off-road.
Yes, the whole bike is pretty rigid and unforgiving which for most uses is I think a good thing, but not riding rough ground. There's a stretch I ride over fields on my D11 which is just manageable standing out of the saddle. Ridden on my larger wheeled 700c hybrid e-bikes it's SO much easier - the wheel size making much of that difference.

The standard D11/21 tyre size is 1.75", the D31 is 1.95". The clearance is there for wider tyres still, but the rims I don't know. Maybe check on FB to see what others have tried, but Fiidos foldable M1/M1P/M21 with 20"x4" fat tyres and both front and rear sus would be better, similarly priced lower-cost e-bike options for field/marsh use.

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The standard D11/21 tyre size is 1.75", the D31 is 1.95". The clearance is there for wider tyres still, but the rims I don't know. Maybe check on FB to see what others have tried, but Fiidos foldable M1/M1P/M21 with 20"x4" fat tyres and both front and rear sus would be better, similarly priced lower-cost e-bike options for field/marsh use.
Thanks, that's good to know. I had my eye on the M1 Pro, and would have bought one if they were available in the UK at the time, despite it being 350W - they have as you rightly suggested at some point, lowered the power to 250W for the UK market. 1.75" tyres are the minimum width I'd use on our heavily potholed roads...

Last edited:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Thanks, that's good to know. I had my eye on the M1 Pro, and would have bought one if they were available in the UK at the time, despite it being 350W - they have as you rightly suggested at some point, lowered the power to 250W for the UK market. 1.75" tyres are the minimum width I'd use on our heavily potholed roads...
I don't follow closely Fiido's M range, but as I understand it the M1 is road legal 36v 250w cadence sensor, the M1 Pro is 48v 500w cadence sensor, and the M21 is 48v 500w but marked as being a 250w motor with torque sensor. The M1 Pro has a reputation for shooting off uncontrollably (some say), which the M21 cured with its true torque sensor.

Given the Fiido M range are blatant low-cost copies of the MATE bikes (albeit using 20+mph capable 500w motors rather than 750w), there's potentially plenty of meat there for the boys at DVSA to sink their teeth into too if they're so inclined!

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't follow closely Fiido's M range, but as I understand it the M1 is road legal 36v 250w cadence sensor, the M1 Pro is 48v 500w cadence sensor, and the M21 is 48v 500w but marked as being a 250w motor with torque sensor. The M1 Pro has a reputation for shooting off uncontrollably (some say), which the M21 cured with its true torque sensor.
I can't recall which M1 I lusted after - it had front and rear suspension, fat tyres, and quoted impressive range.

Given the Fiido M range are blatant low-cost copies of the MATE bikes (albeit using 20+mph capable 500w motors rather than 750w), there's potentially plenty of meat there for the boys at DVSA to sink their teeth into too if they're so inclined!
They'd go after Fiido before Bosch. Unless people paid for their illegal ebikes using Bitcoin - if the will was there, the DVSA could simply buy information about purchases from the likes of Experian, and issue mass automatic fines and license points.

dynamoboy

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2023
hello,
analyzing the D21 (which I don't own yet) I see that the saddle/battery is easily "stolen".
Have you identified any kind of mechanical anti-theft device that can prevent theft?
I had thought of a steel wire with combination padlock to run under the saddle to under the rear shell.
I know it is easily circumvented but as a deterrent it is better than nothing.
do you have any other better ideas?
Thanks

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I don't own a D21 either... but if there's a battery and component free space at the end of the seat tube, after it's been pushed down and out though the bottom of the frame, maybe drill a hole all the way through the seat tube (without deforming it), near the end, to shove through a D-lock or large padlock? Or simply take the battery away with you?

Last edited:

Chris.mitu

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2015
Kent
"To unlock the speed on the newer displays, please try the below:
Switch the bike ON whilst holding full throttle and the right brake lever for 15 seconds."
[/QUOTE]

Were you able to confirm using gps or a speedometer that the max speed has increased? Are there any other buttons that need to be pressed to change the settings or just the above settings?

I weigh 100kg and on a flat road on assist 3 with light pedalling I only see 12-13mph on the display.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
hello,
analyzing the D21 (which I don't own yet) I see that the saddle/battery is easily "stolen".
Have you identified any kind of mechanical anti-theft device that can prevent theft?
I had thought of a steel wire with combination padlock to run under the saddle to under the rear shell.
I know it is easily circumvented but as a deterrent it is better than nothing.
do you have any other better ideas?
Thanks
It would be so easy to add a key-lockable seat-post clamp as some other folding bikes do, but Fiido haven't yet. In some ways, to do so would undermine the elaborate key-pad locking system of their X/D31 model. There is a vibration alarm on Alibaba with remote that fits in the controller box; any touch/movement of the alarmed bike sounds the 110db alarm. I thought about that, but haven't bothered. A cable through the saddle rails and into a decent U lock is I think your best bet if concerned.

"To unlock the speed on the newer displays, please try the below:
Switch the bike ON whilst holding full throttle and the right brake lever for 15 seconds."

Were you able to confirm using gps or a speedometer that the max speed has increased? Are there any other buttons that need to be pressed to change the settings or just the above settings?

I weigh 100kg and on a flat road on assist 3 with light pedalling I only see 12-13mph on the display.
Much of what is written above has now become irrelevant; much has changed including the display/controller for a third time. Check Fiido's YT maintenance channel where any unlock hacks are shown, or email their support team and ask. If there is a hack, they'll tell you. On the V2 display, there was one hack to unlock the speed, and a separate hack to unlock the display to show speed above 25kph. V3 may be (likely is) different; Fiido are always updating. The Xiongda motor is capable of 18mph (my D11 is, confirmed with GPS).