Finally, commuting to work on my E-Bike

maltesephil

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2012
Hi all, it's been a while since I joined this forum and what an eventful few months it's been. I'd been saving for 12 months to buy an e-bike to get to work on and finally purchased a wayel city one in march.

Which promptly developed a fault and was useless. Since it was the shop display model i got at a discount it was almost impossible to get sorted so the dealer kindly agreed to refund me the whole purchase price.

Then one day i was taking my sons bmx in to have the brakes sorted and noticed a raleigh velo trail x-bar amongst the rack of bikes for sale. The dealer gave me a good deal on it and I've been cycling to work for 3 weeks now.

I live in Mellieha and cycle to Swatar 5 days a week. not a great distance (only 15km one way) but there are 3 steep climbs along the way. It take me 40 mins one way. i've seen 62kmh on the speedo going downhill too :D

So far the only problem with the velo has been an "err" come up on the screen and no pull from the motor, quickly sorted by replacing the on board computer under warranty.

I'm very pleased with the bike which I estimate is saving me eur100.00 per month in petrol costs

Have a great summer everyone

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm not familiar with the Wayel brand - they look quite nice, but I'm not sure what price point they're aiming at. What was the new price for a City model? In terms of UK prices, I'm recommending that commuters spend at least 1,000GBP to get some better quality components (equally though, high price doesn't always mean high quality - comparison research on the internet is essential).

Enjoy your new bike!

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've just checked them out. I like the lock on the steering. Which, with a turn of a key lets the handlebars rotate freely. It's designed as a security feature but would be great in the garage for storing the bike against the wall.

There's quite a few videos on Youtube of these bikes.

Last edited:

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
750Eu is about £633, which is not much at all for an electric bike. If the electrics cost £450 then you're left with less than £200 for the actual bike, which won't get you a very reliable one. Perhaps the cost of electrification is coming down, thus allowing for a better mechanicals/electricals cost ratio, but if you're commuting (or otherwise dependent on the bike) then it's best not to risk it.

I'm sure the community would be interested in a review of your Raleigh Velo in a new thread, if you get chance Phil.

maltesephil

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 6, 2012
Awww ... It's stopped working again, this time no error, it just switches off as soon as you start to pedal with the assistance on. Back to the shop again tomorrow