First attempt ebike conversion

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Hi apologies for bringing up a older thread

got the same 2020 bike carrera vengeance

I’m about to buy a 1500w kit on eBay but googling first linked me to this good site

Any advice on a fitment if kit? It’s 27.5 inch rear wheel

are any half decent torque arms fine to use?
Thanks all

Lee
Hi Lee, I got 2 ask, what use case made you look at a 1500w direct drive hub motor?
And which batteries are you considering?
I ask as chances are there is a better performing geared motor requiring a significantly cheaper power pack that suits your needs?? (not that im an expert, but some in here are..)

Apples24

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2024
I’m looking at the 1500w and 2000w kits on eBay presently

Sone look a bit naff saying hailing battery etc others look bit better

it’s a bit of a minefield

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Folk in here many far more expert and knowledgeable than myself can help guide you to the right kit for your needs just tell us what you want to do with the bike, miles expected to cover per day/battery charge, type of terain, hilly or flat, and any extra mass carried or towed?

I can see a number of red flags in the ad linked to.. #1 ZERO battery specs considering its the primary cost, you could get anything!!.. but wont get anything of value..

#2 Controller.. while a quality brand often recommended by the gurus in here its the same as was suggested for my 250w geared hub motor for uphill towing bursts, So the kit although rated at 1500w is designed to output power sutable for pushing the limits of a 250w geared motor. and since the motor can only 'burn' the power the controller delivers!!!!

#3 the brake levers with ebike stop sensors have plastic cable adjustment screws, add £8-10 for rapid amazon metal replacements.. (old bike brake screws will be too small) guess how i know that..

Reactions: Apples24

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
'hailong' is a 'standard' battery style/format, many quality brands package quality named and identified cells in a hailong package, it uses fairly dependable connections, and allows simple addition of 2nd or replacement batteries of the same standard. Also many folk package unsuitable and fake cells in the same cases.. buy a bike from halfords and 90% of the time the battery will have a custom fit and connector and if you need a replacement it will cost more than the bike.. (ok perhaps not more, but you will be urged to buy a new bike instead..)

Reactions: Apples24

Apples24

Feb 6, 2024
I’m a heavy heavy guy it’s just for a bit of fun so power is needed with torque

Apples24

Feb 6, 2024
There are two axle sizes for torque arms. Make sure you get the right size for the motor you buy.

You didn't say precisely which motor you're going to get, bust of those big 1500 DD motors are freewheel only, which means 7-speed gears max, so you'll have to do something with your shifting system to match.
In what way mate?

I presume because I have a 8 speed cassette?

what are my options purchase wise?

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Just how heavy are you? I dont meant to be rude but your linking to kits that could carry jabba the hut off at close to lightspeed .

Myself @circa 100kg (last time i weighed myself was over a decade ago so probably more now?) and a good 20kg+ of shopping have rolled home uphil at 15mph from a big shop on my basic ortler conversion with a 250w 36v yosepower kit regularly since summer..

If its an e-moped and a 30mph ride you want thats another story. and do-able, buy an emoped or build and get one passed..

Fwiw my very basic kit can accelerate to its limited 15.5mph way faster than i could ever have pedaled even in my prime (on this bike at least..see profile pic)

if you want to hit 20-24mph at a reasonable acceleration for a bike select a 'legal' kit with an easy de-regulate option. acceleration will peter off at circa 20 but will creep up still

AS long as your within the mass limit for your bike you should be content with the performance and power from a standard kit or bike, go test ride a showroom offering if you need convincing.

buy a big watt motor and your battery costs will go through the roof and the more the battery is drained the more the quality of the battery cells is important, meaning only named and id'd cells from big brand names like LG or samsung should be considered and bigger batteries need bigger bms systems built in adding more to the cost and areas to get ripped off..

Apples24

Feb 6, 2024
I had a go on a fat tyre big bike last year it was 1500w I think 15ah battery and was a year or so old

it got me about in a fun way but I watched the Battery level go down on hills

so yes I want a 1500w with a good battery / controller to match

ideally I’d like pedal assist and twist throttle

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It doesn't look much of an ebike shop:
View attachment 56266
Google Maps/Places For Business verification is all over the place these days, they don't appear to confirm listings by receipt of verification code via snailmailed postcard anymore. The last few times I've had to create listings my customers with premises, just a mobile phone was required.

The postcode on Google maps leads here?

...but their Companies House listing leads here:

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Google Maps/Places For Business verification is all over the place these days, they don't appear to confirm listings by receipt of verification code via snailmailed postcard anymore. The last few times I've had to create listings my customers with premises, just a mobile phone was required.
The trading address on their website is no.57, which is the exact house I showed above.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The trading address on their website is no.57, which is the exact house I showed above.
Could be a decoy to throw us off the scent. All three locations could be decoys.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Thats not like a shop or premises address. You find lots of businesses will be registered there.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Should anyone want to try and obtain a refund in person, that website appears to represent a business located somwhere in this general area:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
?? pedal assist you can adjust the assist power
Depending on the controller used perhaps, but the general approach is to simply cap the speed for each level of assistance.

KT controllers will allow you to limit power output instead but you would need to limit to or below standard ebike controller output levels to enable actual pedaling which could result in overheating?

I do know about this ..

30a controller 1000w direct drive rear hub Super 48v battery ( greenlance,co,uk )
no pas sensor - no point..
2 x brake sensors with plastic adjustment screws replaced with metal.
1/2 grip throttle speed control,
No display fitted s900 iirc got but its big and flashy..
The cheapest old chinese speedo (circa $2 ali express current price..) bodged on with diy cut plastic battery retention.

Its like shite off a shovel.. Ive got a CB750F1, the original Superbike! It could take the ebike for sure, but i dunno about the first 5-10mph tho

And i cant sell it on, I know its a deathtrap.. it would be like selling 3 month old sausage rolls to young mums, or homemade vodka without pulling off the meths..

I had to find out the hard way.. :) you dont, or do you.. ?
Im not overly keen to share my mistakes publicly but if its helpful bask in my shame..
remember the fatbike probably weighed 6-7x what your sports cycle does,

Apples24

Feb 6, 2024
You are correct tgere it was heavy

so maybe given the fact it’s not going to be used daily ie commuting etc it’s more for fun alternative to car

I shoujd be looking budget wise best I can get for £600 max and forget top end systems will be waste money

Maybe my question shoukd be

Guys, dos snd donts of buying eBay kits what to look for and what to avoid

And also is there a recommended retailer ?

thsbjs fir all your replies

Lee