First Ride on my b-Twin Bafang 250 mid Drive

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
not sure if this is the right place to post but i'm sure someone will move if not.

so i built the full suspension B-Twin last year it had a bafang 750 mid drive and flew. first time out on a steep gravely hill, came of. hurt myself, worsted was the ripped tendons in my knee. so a few weeks ago as i was trying to make all my stuff legal decided to sell it (brand new). i had a bit deal with someone and arranged to sell the kit of it. that way i could buy a 250w and make it legal. well that was the plan.

in the meantime i did my ice adventure with a 250w bafang (new) went out the start of the week and hated it, felt like no power. so as the deal went through on the b-twin 750w i took the 250w kit of and put it on the b-twin. ive now ordered another 750w for my ice. bit daft as ive spent extra money, but i will get a bigger chainring and color screen.

as i'm still selling the b-twin and it has a battery i made myself i thought take it out for a hard ride today. did 9 miles on power level 7-9 averaged 15mph. did a few very step hills. top speed just under 31mph witch for a full suspension mountain bike is good. best of all it bearly touched the battery at all. lost about 1 bar of power. ive put it on charge so see how long it takes and it will give me better info.

so i have to say i'm more impressed with the bike with the 250 kit, seems to suit it better. also my recumbent ice does need a bit more power. also the battery never moved and went over some quite rough ground.

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

You probably know this, but your battery is too high and too far back. Also, assuming that the rack is aluminium, it'll snap next to the clamp bracket through metal fatigue sometime in the future.

I'd chuck the mudguard, which will allow you to get the rack lower, which should give enough room to get the battery right up against the seat-post. The battery will act as a mudguard.

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
sadly the rack wont go any lower, its one of those that goes on the seat post. no very good. i could maybe get it one the frame and use it as the seat clamp. but that extra inch or two may be enough to bring a battery forward a bit. will have a look tomorrow. to be honest dont love where its at but theres not many places to fit one on this bike.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
You can get seat post racks with support arms that bolt onto the rear triangle but yours being a full susser that won't work. As d8veh says only a matter of time before it snaps. The doner bike is not ideal for this battery placement

billym1967

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2017
durham uk
no, but the battery is quite light. i'm sure i can use it as the seat post lock and lower it enough to get the battery forward a bit.