First thoughts - Powabyke X-6

gbeton

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 16, 2009
All,

Firstly, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, I am new to electric bikes and to this forum.

So, I have finally taken delivery of my powabyke X-6 which is my first electric bike and my first bike for over 20 years. Just to give you all a heads up, I am grossly unfit, a heavy smoker, inherantly lazy, overweight and I am looking to ease myself into some regular exercise (cycling to work 13 miles away).

I have been out for the last three hours testing my my new powabyke and I am very pleased to say that I found the experience (even given the cold and saddle soreness) an entirely pleasureable one.I went out over various gradients and found that the powabyke coped with them with ease. I used the pedal assist mode for my testing (pure power made it take off like a rocket!). In all, during my test, I covered just about 7 miles and averaged a very pleasing 14 mph (measured by GPS on my iphone). Take into consideration that the weight the powabyke was coping with was only a couple of kilos under it's max permitted weight (according to the handbook).

The good main points I found were:
1) Ease of use of the throttle and the responsiveness of the bike to this
2) The sturdiness and quality of the construction
3) The brakes seem extremely responsive
4) The "Pure Power" mode - the bike just seems to "take off"!
5) The pannier frame and accessories
6) Frank Currans helpfulness and that of the team from Powabyke

The initial bad points:
1) Pedalling without power feels like you have the brakes on (but that may be because I found the throttle so easy)
2) There needs to be some higher gears on it (should it be an X-8?) when applying full throttle my legs couldn't keep up! (I didn't get an X-24 because I need the shorter frame and the X-24 is only available with a 21" frame)
3) Having to leave the key in the ignition when cycling

However, a word of warning. If you are thinking about buying an X-6 (which I thoroughly recommend) please do so through an authorised Powabyke retailer or direct from Powabyke. I purchased mine through the Halfords cycle to work scheme and found their lack of experience (although a quick call from Keith at Powabyke helped no-end) with Powabykes at my local branch a bit of a problem - although I found the staff at Halfords eager and ready to please (and they now know powabykes at my local branch inside out!).

Only other downside is that Halfords have seemed to have lost the manual and all the paperwork for the X-6 (Cheekily directed at Frank - any chance of sending me one through so I can get the book stamped and warranty sorted out please?)

So in summary - if you are considering getting into electric bikes for the first time the Powabyke X-6 (or even X-24 for you taller people) should be on your list of serious contenders.

I'll give it a week and put another report on the site of my experiences!

Regards and happy new year to all

Graeme

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Welcome!:) Probably the first new bike of the year!:p

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Frank. There's a question here from a Powatryke user which I've answered for the moment, but it may need further attention:

Powatryke problem

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Graeme,
I was in similar shape when I started my slightly longer commute by ebike. After a few weeks you may start to feel weaker when you ride and not understand it. It's 'tired legs' and is quite normal until your body gets used to the frequency of exercise. It can be off putting and last a few weeks, just let the motor take the strain for a while and you will get out the other side.

gbeton

Dec 16, 2009
Graeme,
I was in similar shape when I started my slightly longer commute by ebike. After a few weeks you may start to feel weaker when you ride and not understand it. It's 'tired legs' and is quite normal until your body gets used to the frequency of exercise. It can be off putting and last a few weeks, just let the motor take the strain for a while and you will get out the other side.
Mussels - Thanks for the heads up on this - thats probably the sort of thing that if it happened and I wasn't aware of it, I'd be less inclined to continue!

Thanks again

Graeme

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I'm 17 stone and have been E biking most of this year. E biking really helps I have not lost much weight, haven't really tried to, but have toned up a bit:rolleyes: and fitness/stamina is much improved. friends say I look better and I really enjoy getting out on the bike, I initially got one for our motorhome holidays and I now use it almost daily.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi Graeme, thanks for the email, I have replied and attached it.

Kind Regards

FrankC
Powabyke

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi Frank. There's a question here from a Powatryke user which I've answered for the moment, but it may need further attention:

Powatryke problem
Cheers Flecc, I will reply tomorrow! I knew it was a bad idea logging on at 00.24!

Night all!

FrankC
Powabyke

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Hello Graeme, it's good see another X6 rider on the forum, I've been commuting on one since last March.

I know what you mean about it feeling like putting the brakes on when you switch off the power, but that really is a case of the motor tricking you into thinking going fast is easy. If you ride around without using the motor at all it feels like a normal bike.

If you're struggling to out pace the motor in top gear then you could probably do with building up your cadence (which I found out last year is cycle speak for "learn to pedal faster"). The rule of thumb is that the faster you pedal the less strain you put on your knees so it's well worth doing. If you find yourself pushing hard on the pedals then try shifting down a gear, over time your legs will get accustomed to going faster and you'll find yourself naturally riding in a lower gear than you do at the moment.

Sarge

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2008
Bridgend. CF31
Powabyke X6 Or 24?

Hi Gbeton,

You Don't Say What Height You Are That Requires You To Buy The X6

I Was On The Point Of Buying An X24 As I Am 5' 10" And Was Slightly Concerned It Would Be Too Big.

I Had To Cancel My Order Because The Batteries Were Unavailable From China - Will Order Again In The Spring.

So Is There A Definitive Height/frame Size That Fits Exactly?

gbeton

Dec 16, 2009
Hi Gbeton,

You Don't Say What Height You Are That Requires You To Buy The X6

I Was On The Point Of Buying An X24 As I Am 5' 10" And Was Slightly Concerned It Would Be Too Big.

I Had To Cancel My Order Because The Batteries Were Unavailable From China - Will Order Again In The Spring.

So Is There A Definitive Height/frame Size That Fits Exactly?
Hi,

I bought the smaller frame size as I am about 5"8 with a 29" inside leg. The bike with the saddle at the minimum height is a superb fit for me.

I did go to Halfords and tried a few bikes and found that a 21" frame would be too big.

However, Frank at Powabyke did mention to me some time ago that there was the possibility of the X24 being offered in the smaller frame size. I don't know whether that is a possibility at the moment - perhaps Frank could let us all know? I must admit, I am tempted to contact him myself and ask if it is possible to buy the parts to turn the crank into a three ring affair as I think the option of some more gears may suit me more (but I am trying out Patricks suggestion at the moment!)

If it helps in trying to make your mind up, I did order mine at the end of the summer. With the battery delivery problems I did not get mine until just after Xmas - I have found it well worth the wait - it is a superb and well built piece of kit.

Hope this goes some way to helping you?

Graeme

Last edited:

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Hi,

I bought the smaller frame size as I am about 5"8 with a 29" inside leg. The bike with the saddle at the minimum height is a superb fit for me.

I did go to Halfords and tried a few bikes and found that a 21" frame would be too big.

However, Frank at Powabyke did mention to me some time ago that there was the possibility of the X24 being offered in the smaller frame size. I don't know whether that is a possibility at the moment - perhaps Frank could let us all know? I must admit, I am tempted to contact him myself and ask if it is possible to buy the parts to turn the crank into a three ring affair as I think the option of some more gears may suit me more (but I am trying out Patricks suggestion at the moment!)

If it helps in trying to make your mind up, I did order mine at the end of the summer. With the battery delivery problems I did not get mine until just after Xmas - I have found it well worth the wait - it is a superb and well built piece of kit.

Hope this goes some way to helping you?

Graeme
We still hope to get the 24 speed in an 18" frame, I just don't really want to give any dates at the moment as I don't know! As you suggest Graeme, several dealers have put a triple front chain ring on to the bikes to turn them into either 18 speed, or you can change the rear aswell to get the full 24 speed, it would probably work out to be cheaper to do this through the local dealer. Speak to your local bike shop and see what they suggest.

I'm 5'10 ish and I ride a 21" frame, (well I did before a car pulled out infront of me and wrote my bike off :( ) and I do have the saddle raised about 2", but I like to have a virtually straight leg when pedalling which means my feet are no where near the ground when Im on the saddle. Each person is different and many will like to be able to touch the ground when on the saddle.

Lets hope the snow stops soon!

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Frank will be able to clarify this but I remember hearing somewhere the X series e-bikes is a modified Raleigh Pioneer. I have a Pioneer as my unpowered pushbike and would say it is a good reliable workhorse, and uses standard parts so should be good fo customisation.

TBH nearly got a X series, the deal-breaker was the smaller battery size and range, as I use my e-bike as a moped/car replacement..

I am 5'5" and my Pioneer is the smaller frame size.

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Frank will be able to clarify this but I remember hearing somewhere the X series e-bikes is a modified Raleigh Pioneer. I have a Pioneer as my unpowered pushbike and would say it is a good reliable workhorse, and uses standard parts so should be good fo customisation.

TBH nearly got a X series, the deal-breaker was the smaller battery size and range, as I use my e-bike as a moped/car replacement..

I am 5'5" and my Pioneer is the smaller frame size.
Hi Alex, yes it is basically the same so uses the same bb axel, cup and bearings etc so can easily be modified by the local raleigh dealer.

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke

gbeton

Dec 16, 2009
All,

Well, it's been my first week where I have used my powabyke everyday and I have to say that I am extremely impressed.

Considering that my idea of exercise over the last 20 years has been mainly been lifitng a pint glass from the bar to my mouth, I have found 6-7 mile bike rides very easy. Admittedly I have used the pure power mode up the hills (with supplementary peddling) and for quick starts but I have peddled on the flats. This is an extremely easy to use, robust piece of equipment and I am amazed at how well it copes (especially with my weight on it).

I even had a group of friends harassing me for a go at work as they had never heard of e-bikes and they are now trying to badger our management to do another "cycle to work" scheme so they can get powabykes aswell.

My most impressive achievement (probably only impressive to me though) is a ride at 06:30 today for 5.5 miles during which I averaged 15.1 miles an hour on a mixture inclines and declines.

My initial thoughts on some of the downsides to the bike now don't bother me - such as having to leave the key in the ignition - what was I talking about??????

All I can say is thanks to Powabyke and especially Frank Curran for a great bike, excellent customer service and here's hoping that I actually start to peddle more rather than using the extremely powerful battery a lot of the time!

Thoroughly recommended!:)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Good!.....Enjoy:)