Fitting an Axa Framelock

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Hi Guys

Just started trying to fit an Axa Defender (new SL7) lock to my Pro-Connect and the instructions are simply hopeless. They are those picure only international ones that ensre that noone understands them.

I had thought I could attach it to the holes in the back two down pipes but there isnt a bolt to do that with, just a couple of metal ties.

Anyone any experience of these?

Thanks

John

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Hi Guys

Just started trying to fit an Axa Defender (new SL7) lock to my Pro-Connect and the instructions are simply hopeless. They are those picure only international ones that ensre that noone understands them.

I had thought I could attach it to the holes in the back two down pipes but there isnt a bolt to do that with, just a couple of metal ties...
John

The 2 bolts are bog standard (10mm I think) that you can get from any cycle shop. Actually, you can remove and use the 2 bolts for the bottle holder (that comes with the bike) temporarily. These are a little too short but you can take one to the bike shop and ask for longer ones.

It was me who originally said that no special fitting is necessary but I forgot about the fact that you need your own bolts. I think that you have worked out yourself that you simply remove the 2 plastic plates covering the bolt rails on the lock, screw the lock into the bike holes using (your own) bolts and re-insert the plates.

Also, I had to undo the 2 bolts holding the rack stays (towards the front of the bike) in order to get the lock into position. Putting these back in were a little fiddly.

You do NOT use the metal ties nor the plastic fittings that come with the lock (these are not necessary for the Pro Connect). For extra security, I also put 2 tie cables around the lock.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
John, I have just fitted that same lock to my Pro-Connect. You are right the instructions aren't very good. I used a couple of cap head stainless screws that I had nocking around to attach it via the holes in the down tubes. I think it makes a neater job than using those tie things that come with the lock.

I'm not sure what size the screws are without measuring them, but they are the same size as the ones that secure the rack to the down tubes just above the brake. You could always pinch one of those and take it to a supplier to make sure you get the right ones.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Sorry C Elder, I must have been typing my reply at the same time as you!

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
Sorry C Elder, I must have been typing my reply at the same time as you!
Hi Tillson!

No problem. One of the reasons why I really like this forum is that lots of people share their knowledge unselfishly. Always good to have different viewpoints on a problem.

For example, I really like this lock because it is so different to the Abus Granit X 64 that I also use (double lock idea from Flecc) that I'm sure a potential thief would just go and pick an easier target.

However, the one thing about the Defender that irritates me is that I cannot remove the key if the lock is open. I just want to check if anyone-else has been able to do this - if so, is there some special way you need to wiggle the key out?

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Has anyone fitted one of these to a Cytronex (7.3FX)?

I have looked at them a couple of times but couldn`t find anywhere that explains how/what it fits. I have also read somewhere about a fitting kit being sometimes required, but nowhere that sells them seems to mention the kit.

Thanks

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thanks Tilson and C Elder

I've found a couple of small bolts that seem to fit ok, now I seem to be having a little difficulty getting the thing on the step thru. It looks like only the middle of the 3 cutouts in the Axa lock have the required spread so as to see the boltholes in the frame, but that then raises the lock up the frame enough to the point where it interferes with the Rack mounting :confused:

Which cutouts did you use / put the bolts through?

Thanks Guys

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Has anyone fitted one of these to a Cytronex (7.3FX)?

I have looked at them a couple of times but couldn`t find anywhere that explains how/what it fits. I have also read somewhere about a fitting kit being sometimes required, but nowhere that sells them seems to mention the kit.

Thanks
Here's the fitting kit for the earlier AXA SL7, no doubt the same kit wil do the later model. As you can see, it's basically a couple of high tensile "cuphooks" which go around the frame tubes:

AXA locks at Fisher Leisure

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
...I've found a couple of small bolts that seem to fit ok, now I seem to be having a little difficulty getting the thing on the step thru. It looks like only the middle of the 3 cutouts in the Axa lock have the required spread so as to see the boltholes in the frame, but that then raises the lock up the frame enough to the point where it interferes with the Rack mounting :confused:

Which cutouts did you use / put the bolts through?...
I used the middle cutout but the lock still clears the rack mount by a small amount (about 5mm). However, my bike is the 49cm frame and so angles and the extra 8cm might make a difference.

Can I just check something? If you go to 50cycles gallery page and look at the Tasman 8G step-thru about half way down. Are you placing the lock like that? The rack stay is bent at an angle before the bolt fitting and this angle is just enough to accomodate the lock. Does it help if you loosen the stay at both ends and fiddle with the angle?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
However said:
I find this irritating as well. If you keep all your bike keys together on one ring, (defender, battery and alarm), they clank on the frame because you can't get the defender key out. I suppose this is done as a fail safe to stop you snapping the lock on when you are miles from home only to find that the key has been left behind on the kitchen table.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thanks for that C Elder, yes I am trying to place it on top of the rear forks.

I should have mentioned that I am actually trying to attach it to my wifes 45cm step-thru Pro-Connect first. It looks exactly like the gallery picture, the one above the Tasman 8g.

I have just attached it with the middle cutouts, and the bar doesnt pass the wheel, hmmm.

It seems that for the small frame that the angle of the spread of the rear forks and the positioning of the lugs doesnt allow you to use bolts. Only the middle cutouts give visiblity to the holes, and then the fitting is too high to pass into the wheel.

:confused:

John

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Here's the fitting kit for the earlier AXA SL7, no doubt the same kit wil do the later model. As you can see, it's basically a couple of high tensile "cuphooks" which go around the frame tubes:

AXA locks at Fisher Leisure
Thanks flecc, hopefully someone will come along and tell me whether it will fit the 7.3FX and whether the extra fitting kit is required.

Steve

c_elder

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2007
...I have just attached it with the middle cutouts, and the bar doesnt pass the wheel, hmmm.

It seems that for the small frame that the angle of the spread of the rear forks and the positioning of the lugs doesnt allow you to use bolts. Only the middle cutouts give visiblity to the holes, and then the fitting is too high to pass into the wheel...
Ahh, that's a tough one!

I'm going to back track. It is possible to use the plastic fitting and metal tie to attach the lock to the bike. I did manage to work out how to do this as I originally wanted to fit a Defender to my wife's bike (but she didn't want me to do so when she saw the lock).

Once attached, you have to clip off the unused length of the metal tie. In addition, the plastic cover plates can no longer be used. This can be a bit fiddly and you might ruin one of the plastic fitting/metal ties in the first attempt. The picture instructions, whilst not perfect (or even good), is better than any thing I can say - however I am perfectly willing to post you both my spare ones (I don't need them) if you ruin any of yours (fortunately, the main lock cannot be ruined when trying to work out how to use these fiddly things).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
John, can you use the middle slot on the left hand side and the top slot on the right? That will not raise the lock too far, and though at an angle I think you'll find it could still give wheel etc clearances.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks flecc, hopefully someone will come along and tell me whether it will fit the 7.3FX and whether the extra fitting kit is required.

Steve
Steve, this ad says fixings included:

AXA Basta Lock

And this one says universal fixing bracket included:

AXA Basta Lock

which makes it look as though it comes ready for any frame.

P.S. All these AXA locks have permanent key retention when unlocked so you never leave home without the key. I originally thought this a nuisance, but it does make a lot of sense really.

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Nice idea Flecc, unfortunately not enough play to reach. I'm trying using the metal cable ties, which are just not long enough for the thick tubes of the Pro Connect. its very very close though, with about 3mm poking out to try and catch in the tightening screw. I've been fiddling with them for the past hour, almost lost the thread on the tightening screws.

For reference, to tighten using these metal cable ties would be vastly improved if the whole fastening parts thing was made out of better materials The tigtening screww sits in a plastic holder and given the stresses involved :( . Also the tightening screw itself is not tough metal, with the thread on the head decaying quite rapidly, very poor really.

The actual lock itself is fine though :confused:

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That really is a problem John. I suppose there isn't enough space to file out the top slots a bit, even if it means filing into the lock body a fraction?

Alternatively, filing the outer ends of the middle slots upwards (L fashion) to allow the lock to be low enough while using the middle slots.

Last edited:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Grrrr ...... I've got them on, but I just cant see to get the nice plastic cover over the top of the fitting. It seems it should just clip on, but my purpley-blue thumbs will testify that its not so straight forward :mad: :mad: :mad:

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
That really is a problem John. I suppose there isn't enough space to file out the top slots a bit, even if it means filing into the lock body a fraction?

Alternatively, filing the outer ends of the middle slots upwards (L fashion) to allow the lock to be low enough while using the middle slots.
Good ideas Flecc. I may yet try these, thanks :)

John