Fitting Marathon Plus's on a Twist

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Im just in the middle of trying to fit my new Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres on my Twist. Front wheel took a bit of time (new to roller brakes). However Ive discovered that I dont have any idea or any instructions on how to remove the rear wheel/get the chain off.

I have found instructions on how to remove the SRAM gears, but not the chain. Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the chain on a Twist, specific instructions appreciated?

Thanks everyone.

John

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
Does anyone have any idea on how to remove the chain on a Twist, specific instructions appreciated?
You'll need a chain splitter tool. Better to get it done by a bike shop with such a tool and then have a master link fitted for easier removal/refitment next time. It's perfectly OK to use masterlinks with single speed chains and it makes me wonder why they weren't included originally with the Twist Comfort.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
:eek: Your Joking!

To take the back wheel off you have to split the chain! Thats a design flaw if ever I heard of one. :mad:

Is that really the only way to change the rear tyre?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When you remove the rear wheel John, by sliding it forward and lifting it, the chain develops enough slack to lift it from the rear sprocket, no need to split it. The same in reverse, put the chain on while the wheel is high, then lower it to the dropouts.

I just lift mine off with a screwdriver shaft to avoid getting mucky, it's that easy to lift off.

Don't forget theres some extra slack available at the sprung idler wheel as it can be pulled back against the spring by pulling on the rear of the chain.

Last edited:

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
nigel

:eek: split the chain crumbs i didnt do that:D if that was the case i pack it in now.nigel.

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
Thats a design flaw if ever I heard of one. :mad:
I know what you mean. No doubt they would say it's a cost saving measure not having to include a masterlink (which it is by a few pence, the cost of a masterlink). If a Giant approved dealer has to take a little longer to remove the chain for any reason I guess that's a little more they'll earn too.

Is that really the only way to change the rear tyre?
Well according to flecs post based on his experience it's not - good on you flecc! I remember last time I assumed everything about your Twist was identical to mine, I found there was at least one small difference with the model of hub dynamo fitted. Just to be sure this isn't the case again, I suggest you re-check that there isn't some form of masterlink in your chain (just incase they came to their senses and included them in late 2006 models).

Even removal of the wheel without having to split the chain doesn't get you totally off the hook for the future though. It still means you're dependant on cleaning the chain in-situ, not to mention it complicates any work you may want to do on the front pulleys (way down the track). Thats why, fairly early on I had the chain professionally split and a masterlink fitted. I used to own a motorbike which had special tamperproof screws holding the exhaust baffles in, similarly one of the first things I did with that was to change the screws for standard head ones when it was in for its service. I'm waiting for my new special order 118 link chain to arrive (which should be any week now) before I'm going to remove the wheel to change the sprocket and clean the old chain. This time I might try removing it with the chain still intact to see how fiddly it is. With the original tyres still on my bike, there should be more clearance in my situation than yours. If you do decide to get a masterlink fitted and remove it altogether for cleaning, by the looks of things you'll likely need to remove the motor cover to thread it back around the sprockets (or just have a spare chain you can thread it on and off with).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Like Flying Kiwi, I think all single speed and hub gear bikes should come with a split link as standard for maintenance and chain replacement purposes, it's such a cheap and simple measure to supply.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Thanks guys,

I'll defer going down the road of the master link I think until I replace the chain completely after a couple of years. Using Fleccs advice there, I managed to succesfully put on my new Marathon Plus tyres (quite easy really, thanks Flecc).

For everyones info, just to be clear, you DONT need to do anything with the chain to change the tyre on a Giant Twist Comfort GTS 2006 model. However, if you want to remove the chain completely off the bike for some reason (i.e. cleaning) then you'll need to change the chain.

Kiwi, I think you may have mis-interpreted me, but thanks anyway.

Cheers, now to clean up (wish I hadnt put the teflon grease on BEFORE the new tyres, think I now need a shower) :rolleyes:

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Cheers, now to clean up (wish I hadnt put the teflon grease on BEFORE the new tyres, think I now need a shower) :rolleyes:

John
Next spending suggestion John, buy some barrier cream from your local Machine Mart, oils supplier or similar. That said, most who buy it only remember they have it after getting mucky!

Another idea is the very thin vinyl gloves you'll find in main supermarkets. I got some in Sainsburys, £1.25 for a packet of 10, they also do 20s. They're tough and being thin there's plenty of "feel" left. A pair of these is a very good idea in the on road toolkit when commuting, ensuring that a puncture or other roadside repair doesn't mean you arrive at work looking like you've been dragged through some bushes! :D

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
Kiwi, I think you may have mis-interpreted me, but thanks anyway.
Having only experienced rear wheel removal after having had the chain split earlier and then when you mentioned removing the chain I'm afraid 2+2 added up to 5 for me. Fortunately flecc and Nigel were there with experience trying it the other way. What you've written to summarise makes it clear with "you'll need to change the chain." meaning to split it and possibly add a masterlink - rather than replace the whole chain.

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Yes i am pleased i took fleccs advice i changed my tyres when the bike was new hence clean hands:) good move john:cool: no more punctures?nigel.