Fitting Tyres (Problems)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
A while back I started a thread on Schwalbe Big Apples that I have fitted to my DIY ebike.

Well I have ended up having to put the original tyre back on my hub wheel.

At the time I was a little concerned that the fluresent strip was not even all the way round the rim where the trye bead sunk more into the rim at one point. The hub wheel has a double rim and is quite narrow.

The original tyre is fine a Kendra 26 * 1.75 which also says to fit rims 47-559 on the side.

The Schwalbe is 26 * 2.00 for rims 50-599. (Not sure what that first numeber is)

The big apple fits the back wheel perfectly. Initially I thought it was a faulty trye but I have tried it on the back and it fits perfectly and tried the back one on the front which still then has the same problem.

I have tried half inflating the tyre and manipulating the bead to get it even and although I can almost get it right on one side, it then drops in on the other side. The problem is because it is sinking into the rim the wheel then does not run true. The rim on the front wheel is definately much narrow compared to the back I would say by almost a 1/3 to 1/2 narrower.

I have had the trye off and on several times even trying a second layer of rim tape and I just can't seem to get it to fit the rim edge evenly all the way round the wheel :mad:

I love these tryes and ideally want them front and back. Any ideas ?

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
How perfect are you trying to get it? Most tyres don't fit perfectly and the Schwalbe reflective band makes it look worse. I find the half inflate method gets it close enough. I also notice you have the small Big Apples so the cushion effect won't be quite as great as others report.
The first number on the side (57-559) refers to the tyre width and not the rim, the second number is the rim diameter.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks Mussels for explaining the numbers.

At the worse point the reflective band actially touches the rim edge. I tried a different inner tube rather than the Schwalbe and it was a little better.

Because the rim is quite narrow you also have to manipulate the valve to get it in and allow the trye beads to slide down the edge.

Maybe I am being obsessive. I could take a picture I guess and show you. The white reflective band is not just off but as I said at one point right up against the rim. when the wheel spins you can tell its then not running true.

Put the original Kendra on and its fine.

They are comfy cpmpared to my original nobblies, though I assumed the wider Big Apples would not clear my frame/guards :eek:

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks. As you say I think it is a physical problem as I have fitted and refitted the trye half a dozen times, swapping with the back and a different inner tube.

Oh well its not the end of the world. The Big Apple is nice on the back where a lot of the weight is anway.

Thanks for you help

I haven't actually measured the rims, I will do that tonight.

Jerry

(Anyone want a Big Apple :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I had been riding with it a few days, but when I showed the bike to a friend and fired up the wheel off the ground he commented about how out of true it was running. I had not noticed until I had done that.

When I put the Kendra tyre back on and did the same thing it ran perfectly.

Couldn't you damage a wheel if you ride on it when it not running true ?

Maybe I am being over fussy :eek:

Regards

Jerry

Wooky

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2009
Near Barnstaple, Devon
My Big Apples and Marathon Plus both came folded, (don't know if yours did) the Marathons in particular took some time to get to run true, the bead was 'bent' probably trod on in the post, you might have a look at the bead to see if that is straight where it runs out.

Also pumping them partially and pulling them around to straighten them and then pumping more does help, it is frustrating though.

I've 2.35 Big Apples and it was worth persevering to get them nearly true as the ride is so more comfortable that the Marathon Plus.

They both eventually run quite true.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes mine were folded and came in the post. Intially that is what I thought the problem was (there were some kinks in the bead) but as I said I then tried the back one which was fitted ok, on the front and still had the same issue.

I guess I have nothing to lose fitting it again and then running it for a week or two to see if it stretches/trues up.

After I fit it I will take a photo to show you what it looks like so you can see it.

Thanks again for posting as this was sooooo frustrating.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Wooky

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2009
Near Barnstaple, Devon
As with some other tyres I had, I also bounce them around there whole circumference after pumping them slightly to seat them, and repeating as I pump them, also pulling them along the rim length, thumbs one side, fingers the other.

The Marathon on the front of one of my bikes still has a kink very visible in the fluorescent strip that Catches my eye as 'er indoors rides it alongside me, but as the tyre runs reasonably true there's no way I'm doing anything about it!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Thanks Wooky,

As I said I am probably being over fussy. I will fit it again tonight take some pics then leave it for a week to see how it runs.

Thanks again for your posts which kinda gave me some perspective :eek:

Regards

Jerry

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Pictures

Pictures as promised.

From One Side Not Bad

Good Fit

White Just Showing

Having fitted it again (for about the 10th time) it actually seems a little better. Top picture is the best side other two picture are the other side. I went and quickly rode it on 20psi then pumped it up to 40psi. I will try for a week and report back. Hopefully it may stretch out. I think the back one did as well though was not so obvious.

Regards

Jerry

Attachments

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Lol sorry :eek:

I was worried not being true it might damage the rim.

Your right though I just need to keep riding. Today I didn't cycle to work because the trye was off and to be honest I now find driving stressfull. No queues on an ebike and I can actually beat my car journey by about 5 mins using cycle paths and back roads :)

Jerry

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That looks fine for a Schwalbe tyre, they often have very irregular side striping. One of mine is like that and hasn't given any trouble in well over two years.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I noticed the reflective strip wasn't evenly spaced on my Marathon Plus, but it isn't printed on the tyre evenly so I hadn't given it a second though!