Flies, Mosquitos et al

JohnofCambridge

Pedelecer
Aug 21, 2007
Stapleford, Cambridge
Whilst riding the country lanes of Shropshire last week and puffing a little, I was colliding with no end of flies - with the ocasional one into my air intake!

Around town and open spaces there is not a problem. Solutions seem to be less exertion or don't go down narrow lanes.

Alltrnatively a cycle helmet with a visor!! Has anyone come across one?

SimonHutt

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2007
Cheshire, WA4
For my every day cycling to work through country lanes I find wrap around cycling glasses invaluable - tinted for summer to reduce glare and keep flies at bay, clear in the winter to keep out rain, hail, snow, etc :(

As far as flies in the cakehole, isn't that one of the reasons cyclists grin a lot? ;)

Simon

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
I have this problem at my local reservoir. I just stick to wearing wrap around glasses. They have changable lenses for different light conditions. They were cheapos from ALDI a few weeks back but my local store still has stock so you might be lucky. getting them in your mouth or nose is a pain and i guess you could use a dust mask but it would hamper efficient breathing and.... you will look a right plonker:)

Ive not seen full face visors on sale either!

p.s. post crossed with Simon

Last edited:

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
As others have found suitable glasses keep insects out of the eyes but they still get into the mouth, especially on country lanes with rich hedgerows where cycling is so enjoyable. It is perhaps as well to keep out of spitting distance of other cyclists under these conditions and to remember that birds and other wildlife (and the TV adventurer Bear Grylls) manage perfectly well on a diet of bugs :D