Flyer T14 HS review

Beanie101

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2008
Verbier, Switzerland
Bought From: UnicCycle, Forel, Switzerland

Price: about £3,000 in Swiss Francs

Time Owned: 4 weeks

Local Terrain: Vertiginous (1,400 to 3,000m)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
  • Strongly built by Swiss artisans, which partly explains the price
  • Crank-assistance from the Panasonic motor works very well up mountains and with the wide spread of gears in the Rohloff hub, it will go up absolutely anything
  • Goes like the wind in 14th gear and assistance is quite marked up to about 35 kph. Assistance is limited to 45 kph
  • Can freewheel at dangerously high speeds (60 kph+) downhill and still feel stable, helped by its 28" wheels
  • It feels like riding a normal upright bike except that it’s going twice as fast as you would expect. Especially noticeable when overtaking gorillas on MTB’s
  • Very high quality spec (Rohloff 14-speed hub, Magura HS33 hydraulic brakes)
  • Very well equipped with accessories (integral B&M high power lights, bright even in broad daylight, heavy duty Pletscher rack, good lockable front suspension)
  • Comfortable saddle and very comfortable handlebar grips with a broad flat section for resting your palms on
  • First service at three months is free
  • Different and rare, even in its own country (only 70 made a week of all models). People smile and wave as you sail past, which they never do to the numerous Porsche and Ferrari drivers up here
  • Easy to use

Weaknesses:
  • Quite heavy – turn the power off and it’s noticeable, uphill at least
  • The infamous switch between 7th and 8th gear is there but can be managed
  • Slightly noisier than a normal bike (especially when in high power mode) but there is usually so much wind noise in my ears I don’t hear it
  • In this terrain, with my low level of fitness and in the rarefied mountain air, a battery is only good for just over 20 km and about 800m of vertical climbing, so for longer trips a spare is essential.
  • Expensive, even by Flyer standards, but what the hell?

Summary:
When men get to a certain age, they’re supposed to dream of buying a Porsche (see the film ‘Lost in Translation’). This is the ecologically sound alternative. The Flyer’s performance is simply astonishing and I use it at every possible opportunity, and then some.

Photos attached below.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : An emphatic 10

Attachments

Last edited: