Folding Bike for Pensioner

Josh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 1, 2014
Hi All, I sold my mountain bike a while back through lack of use and heavy to lift onto car etc.
I like the look and flexibility of folding bikes, Brompton, Birdy that I could fold and lift easily into my car boot for extended trips, will not be using public transport. I am 68 yrs, 5' 10" and 13 stone. However I have angina and hardening of arteries in legs, so sometimes find it difficult to pedal uphill or against strong headwinds.
Is there an ebike that would help me greatly to overcome these problems and enhance my motability enjoyment. Your knowledgeable suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

Reactions: mountainsport

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Welcome to the forum,dont forget you can make a folder even lighter for lifting by removing the battery.
My limited experience with folders would suggest you dont go too small on the wheels i found them a bit twitchy on very small wheels.

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Hi All, I sold my mountain bike a while back through lack of use and heavy to lift onto car etc.
I like the look and flexibility of folding bikes, Brompton, Birdy that I could fold and lift easily into my car boot for extended trips, will not be using public transport. I am 68 yrs, 5' 10" and 13 stone. However I have angina and hardening of arteries in legs, so sometimes find it difficult to pedal uphill or against strong headwinds.
Is there an ebike that would help me greatly to overcome these problems and enhance my motability enjoyment. Your knowledgeable suggestions would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Kudos and Woosh both have some bikes that might suit. Kudos have dealers where you could test ride. Woosh are direct sale only but you could try at Southend, their HQ. Best wishes! Ebikes are great!

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'd also recommend you don't go below 20" wheels for general use in the countryside. At 19 kilos including battery the Kudos Secret is one of the lightest ones at a moderate price, many are 22 kilos or more.

Here's a link to the webpage

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
If you tell us where you live we might be able to suggest local places to try a few bikes out. It's always best to try a few out before coming to a decision.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
There are 3 ebike shops in Bristol where you could try a decent range of bikes. 50cycles, Atmosphere and The Electric Transport Shop. I don't know about any shops in Cardiff but other members might.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's a new electric bike shop in Cardiff, but I don't know what they're called. There's probably a better choice in Bristol.

Josh

Aug 1, 2014
Thank you all for the info. From the little research I have done I am leaning towards the Woosh folder 3 speed version. Reviews, spec, price all seem good. However there is a dealer near to where I live selling Volt Metro folders, I will also check these out.

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
I have got a Woosh folder 3-speed. I would suggest that you go for a bike that includes a throttle. The throttle on my bike makes it so easy for hill-starts. Without it, i don't think i would get started again on a hill, should i have to stop. Pull away using the throttle and once moving, using pedal assist to continue on up.

Josh

Aug 1, 2014
I have got a Woosh folder 3-speed. I would suggest that you go for a bike that includes a throttle. The throttle on my bike makes it so easy for hill-starts. Without it, i don't think i would get started again on a hill, should i have to stop. Pull away using the throttle and once moving, using pedal assist to continue on up.
Thanks for the heads up. I have read your experiences with this model and all looks very positive, I like your posts, if I can think of anything to clarify I will with your permission ask your opinions.
Cheers.

OldBob1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2012
Staffordshire
Hi Josh I suffer the same as you, but the folder is such a use full bit of kit, get at least a 20 " wheel a suspension seat post and gel seat.
The 36 volt electric system seems to give a bit more power.
But the main thing is to try as many bikes as you can, you will know the right one by the feel.
Bob :)

Reactions: Josh

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Why do all the nice people live out of London and in beautiful places? Why?
I live in London. But why?

MS,
Maybe it's the beautiful places that help with the niceness, I'm much nicer since I moved away from Greater Manchester!
You seem to be a nice person already but you could sell up and move as I did and become even nicer.:)
Dave.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Maybe it's the beautiful places that help with the niceness, I'm much nicer since I moved away from Greater Manchester!
You seem to be a nice person already but you could sell up and move as I did and become even nicer.:)
Dave.
But Dave, if I am a nice person already then sell up and move to a nicer place in theory will make me much more of a nicer person than you.
The big question is can you handle that? :rolleyes:

MS.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
But Dave, if I am a nice person already then sell up and move to a nicer place in theory will make me much more of a nicer person than you.
The big question is can you handle that? :rolleyes:

MS.
Absolutely, I am well used to being surrounded by nicer folk than me and get great pleasure from it.:D
Dave.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Josh,we all spend a lot of efforts to get the weight down on big wheeled e-bikes but not so much on the folders. My advice is not to go below 20" wheels size,our roads are just too rutted and potholed to risk getting out of the other side of a hole on say 14" wheels.
We have almost sold out of our Kudos Versatile bike that weighed 23 KGs,customers at shows pick up the Kudos Secret at 18 KGs and find the difference quite marked.
Most of these little folders get sold to motor home users who need to lift the bikes on the rear rack,so weight is critical.
As a result of suggestions on this forum we increased the chainring to 52 tooth which lowers the cadence when considered with the smallish diameter wheels,the double height seat post (like the Brompton) allows the bike to suit 5ft to 6ft riders.
Sending these folders out is not expensive,we send out for free and collecting back is only £10.00 cost,if you want to try one at home.
There is a little electronic weighing scale with a hanging strap,that is intended to weigh luggage before travelling,I walk round shows with one,they are pocket size and very accurate,a good investment when checking weights of bikes
Hope that helps
KudosDave