Folding Bikes On Trains.

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
What happened to the guards van...?

Seems not everyone likes the idea, while not about electrics this article is on todays BBC news website.

BBC NEWS | Magazine | The bicycle backlash unfolds

Thanks for that Ian, good article.

i used to commute with a bike from Colchester, no problem when there is a guards' van, huge problem when there is not, didn't mind the dash to whichever end the van was, would even buy a ticket for bike ...if pressed...

but the new electric trains changed all that, wouldn't want to have to do it now & doubt if it is even possible during peak hours.

the train operators need shaking up for this non-compliance, perhaps the government should cut them some breaks to encourage green issues, bikes on trains, electric or not, are essential.

rant over.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
Boy, you're really suffering from Maggie's obsession to blow up the public owned infrastructure.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Biking (Viking?) Boris!

Boy, you're really suffering from Maggie's obsession to blow up the public owned infrastructure.
OK .. here's the deal.. First you had The Thatch 'blowing up' public infrastructrure.. Now we have Bike (booze?) loving Boris running the country whilre our PM sleep walks.. What is going on??

The question is.. will he support bike (and e-bike) transportation in London.. His great leader, also an avid .....( law breaking .. Etonian.....sounds like the two words should go together.. cyclist.. regularly furrows a path from his limo, security surrounded entourage, mounts said cycle, 13 metres from houses of parliament, careful to ignore the tabloid gutterites following closely behind in their mopeds and 4x4's.. steady Dave, slow down .. now go through a red light to indicate rebellious, green credential youth.. watch that hairdo.. ahh back in parliament.. top hat intact..what a releif to be free of the prols.....) supporter of pedal power.. Interesting to see what happens....Cycle lanes? congestion charge for pedelec member rants? 50cycles in the Tower..

Blondes have more fun!

God help you (us) all..

bw
musicbooks

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's not public owned though Erik, the train companies are all private, though the track has been passed back into public ownership after private enterprise kept on crashing the trains trying to run on it.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
The guards van went the same way as the guard, eliminated in the name of profit.. err progress. Nowadays trains have train managers instead, who usually ride in the rear cab. Perhaps bikes could be stowed there.:D

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
The guards van went the same way as the guard, eliminated in the name of profit.. err progress. Nowadays trains have train managers instead, who usually ride in the rear cab. Perhaps bikes could be stowed there.:D
One day we'll able ale to cycle along the deregulated.. unprofitable stretch of the railway line.. problem solved:rolleyes:
bw
musicbooks

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

on old gner stock of 125's..now national express, plus midland mainline stock of 125's and any other companies running the 125 fleet....there is a guards van at one end or other, when gner was running them they had a policy that you MUST have a reservation to get your bike on, even though there is enopugh space in the van for 20 bikes........no reservation no bike transortation from them..not sure what national express's policy is or the others, doubt virgin trains have a luggage van, the HULL TRAINS fleet have a end where bikes can go, again i think by reservation...they are however taking stock of a new set of wheels..(second hand as it where) class 180's... NO IM NOT A TRAIN BUFF EITHER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the other none BIG train sets, like the transpennine ones have a storage space for 2 bikes, no reservations needed, first come first served,...other such train companies also have space for bikes here and there, but with no definate knowledge of what sort of train will be used for the next service there is no certain knowledge if you will get on...for the trips i do Hessle to Donacster i fold my bike up and park it in the place where prams usually go or wheel chairs ... however even with folding my bike up if i tried to get on one of the old gner trains they would still demand a resercation even thoughy it folds up no more then a large suitcase, which is why im getting a carry bag made which will look like its just a large suitcase im lugging on..no reservation needed then and will even get on buses.....of course my train experience has not much use for people down south as your trains can be like sardines, up here we only get full trains at peak times and then when i get the 0835 train its never got more then 50 people on it then,:)

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
One day we'll able ale to cycle along the deregulated.. unprofitable stretch of the railway line.. problem solved:rolleyes:
bw
musicbooks
Nice one musicbooks, I suppose we have Dr Beeching to thank for many of our more pleasant cycle paths.

..... when i get the 0835 train its never got more then 50 people on it then,:)
That can't be profitable so it looks like you may soon be cycling along that line Keith.

kfh51

Just Joined
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks for that Ian, good article.

i used to commute with a bike from Colchester, no problem when there is a guards' van, huge problem when there is not, didn't mind the dash to whichever end the van was, would even buy a ticket for bike ...if pressed...

but the new electric trains changed all that, wouldn't want to have to do it now & doubt if it is even possible during peak hours.

the train operators need shaking up for this non-compliance, perhaps the government should cut them some breaks to encourage green issues, bikes on trains, electric or not, are essential.

rant over.
The inter city trains from Colchester all have a guard carriage with bike racks no less. Free of charge now. Space for about 15 bikes. They run every 15 mins at peak times.

StrangeFish

Pedelecer
Jan 24, 2008
Bristol (BS14) UK.
OK .. here's the deal.. First you had The Thatch 'blowing up' public infrastructrure.. Now we have Bike (booze?) loving Boris running the country whilre our PM sleep walks.. What is going on??

The question is.. will he support bike (and e-bike) transportation in London.. His great leader, also an avid .....( law breaking .. Etonian.....sounds like the two words should go together.. cyclist.. regularly furrows a path from his limo, security surrounded entourage, mounts said cycle, 13 metres from houses of parliament, careful to ignore the tabloid gutterites following closely behind in their mopeds and 4x4's.. steady Dave, slow down .. now go through a red light to indicate rebellious, green credential youth.. watch that hairdo.. ahh back in parliament.. top hat intact..what a releif to be free of the prols.....) supporter of pedal power.. Interesting to see what happens....Cycle lanes? congestion charge for pedelec member rants? 50cycles in the Tower..

Blondes have more fun!

God help you (us) all..

bw
musicbooks
..You're "shot away" musicbooks, you really are...:D

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
It's not public owned though Erik, the train companies are all private, though the track has been passed back into public ownership after private enterprise kept on crashing the trains trying to run on it.
But before the Iron Lady, it was all British Rail, right?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, the train companies have been through history, Private, Public, then Private again.

The infrastructure they run on has been Private by train company, Public in one block, Private in one block, and now back to Public in one block.

And it all costs us far far more now than it ever did historically, even after allowing for inflation.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The privatisation of the railways was a step too far for Thatch but her successor John Major pushed it through against everybody else's better judgement. In fact British Rail were doing a pretty good job despite being starved of investment, so the privatisation was unforgivable.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
We only have Arriva running some side lines in remote areas, which they, after a tough start, don't run worse than the national railways used to do.

What's worse is the privatization of the heat and electric companies.

We have city heat, and got a cheque for £200 when the user-owned plant was sold to a semi-national company. A year later it was decided that the income was tax liable, so we had to pay £100 back.

Since then, it has been sold twice more, and each time the price of heat has gone up, because the buyers have right to get a profit from the huge overprice they paid.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's all very familiar to us now Erik, electricity, gas, phone, water, rail travel, some road pricing.

For the moment the air is free, but for how long is debatable.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
flecc
Pedelec Guru

.[/QUOTE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
a while back someone on e-bay had a bottle of air for auction......dont laugh cos someone bought it :eek:

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
flecc
Pedelec Guru

------------------------------------------------------------------------
a while back someone on e-bay had a bottle of air for auction......dont laugh cos someone bought it :eek:[/QUOTE]

Once I had a bet with a mate to see who could make the most selling the most ridiculous item on ebay. I offered "Cloud for sale.... comes complete with free photo" . I made £1.35 I kid you not.. My friend put on.. "Bag of wild oats.. to sow your own" and made.. wait for it.. £3.65 ( oats cost 60p from Tesco...

bw
musicbooks
p.s. I think someone should put Boris on ebay..before its too late..
The Boris.. handy toilet brush... for sale.. One off only.. free delivery international shipments only.. no exchange or refund..