Folding electric bike

StillFindingMyWay

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 27, 2019
Hi again. I would appreciate any advice on this. I know it's the right place to come.

I have sold my regular electric bike. It was a Juicy classic Dutch style bike. It became a bit to heavy for me to steer around corners and I found myself pushing it along rather than riding it.

So, I am aware that there are now some lighter bikes on the market. However, I do need a folding one as it needs to go in my Motorhome and it still needs to be a step through/ dutch style. My top budget is £1000.

So from my research I have come across the Raleigh Stow e-way and the Decathlon BTwin 500. There didn't seem much of a difference in the ride, other than I found the gear change twisty thing on the handlebar on the Decathlon made my hand a bit sore and of course the Raleigh has more milage in its battery.

However, despite the fact that I said that I need the bike for my Motorhome, I would still like to go riding with friends in the summer. All of whom have electric bikes. I don't want to have something too underpowered. So, I am thinking that maybe I should be looking a more expensive folding electric bike with a better (but not heavier battery) that I can use for this purpose too. Is this worth me saving up a bit more money or am I overthinking this?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I fear you may have to up your budget to get a decent folding bike that will compare favourably to your previous Juicy bike. I have a 6 year old step through Juicy Classic and know that they are good bikes which you probably, like me, paid around the 1k mark for. But even these are now nearer 1.5k. Good luck with finding something.

Reactions: StillFindingMyWay

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So, I am aware that there are now some lighter bikes on the market. However, I do need a folding one as it needs to go in my Motorhome and it still needs to be a step through/ dutch style. My top budget is £1000.
take a look at the Rambletta: folding, Dutch style, 8-speed rapidfire shifter £1,069.
https://wooshbikes.co.uk/?rambletta

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I have a folding Basis Finch from eBikes Direct and this uses a 'universal' battery which can be bought relatively cheaply from eBay and shared with my bigger eBike. It offers good performance, accommodates a +34" inside leg (which the Rambletta disappointingly doesn't) and cost about £749 at the time of purchase.
I take a smaller 10Ah battery on camping trips then use it with a 15Ah (£299) battery at home.

StillFindingMyWay

Feb 27, 2019
I have a folding Basis Finch from eBikes Direct and this uses a 'universal' battery which can be bought relatively cheaply from eBay and shared with my bigger eBike. It offers good performance, accommodates a +34" inside leg (which the Rambletta disappointingly doesn't) and cost about £749 at the time of purchase.
I take a smaller 10Ah battery on camping trips then use it with a 15Ah (£299) battery at home.
That sounds perfect. Thank you so much for your reply.
Can I ask, do you find it a comfortable ride? I ask, as I have several prolapsed spinal discs. Any bump/pot hole will aggravate it

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thank you for this recommendation. Can I ask, as it's nearly the same price as the Raleigh, why this one is one you would recommend? Many thanks!!
two points:
1. battery: the Stow E-Way has 250WH battery, the Rambletta has 375WH battery. More watt hours equals to bigger range. You can also buy the Rambletta with 432WH (36V 12AH, £70 optional) battery if you want even bigger range.
2. Cassette/freewheel: the Stow E-Way comes with 7-speed 14T-34T cassette/freewheel. The Rambletta comes with 8-speed 11T-34T. The smaller rear cog 11T on the Rambletta lets you cruise at lower cadence, more relaxing ride.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You are wrong on the +34" inside legs. We have two sizes of seat posts for the Rambletta.
If you are taller than 6ft2, we fit longer seat post, 500mm instead of 450mm.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Be careful with your choice since you wish to keep up with riders on full size e-bikes. That is a tall order for a folder since they are mostly low geared, meaning you'll be spinning the pedals like mad on most to keep up with the motor at 15 mph.

That's true of the Raleigh Stow Away and the current Basis since both have a top gear 14 tooth rear sprocket. The advantage of the Rambletta that Woosh suggested is it's 11 tooth top gear rear sprocket which means it will be much easier to sustain pedalling at 15 mph.

N.B. Crossed with Woosh posts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have several prolapsed spinal discs. Any bump/pot hole will aggravate it
the Rambletta comes with suspension seat post for your comfort, quite rare among folding bikes.

Last edited:

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
You are wrong on the +34" inside legs. We have two sizes of seat posts for the Rambletta.
If you are taller than 6ft2, we fit longer seat post, 500mm instead of 450mm.
I emailed at the time and was advised by AH that the long seat post option gave an overall height of 36.5" to the top of the saddle which would be too short - I need 38.5-39" to accommodate ankle flexing. We also talked about adding a chunkier saddle with thick padding and a gel cover over the top to add some additional height. I liked the bike very much, along with the rest of your range, but needed the certainty of knowing it would be comfortable to ride, particularly when purchased without being able to try it for size first.

If ever I am in the south-east then I would love to try one for size for a future purchase.

Reactions: Woosh

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I see that the Finch is now £999.
I find it very comfortable and have a dodgy back myself from an older injury. I replaced the saddle with a wider, sprung saddle and find it very comfortable on 40mile rides. The handlebar height is adjustable too so you can vary your sitting position from leaning forwards to nearly-upright to reduce pressure on your spine.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I emailed at the time and was advised by AH that the long seat post option gave an overall height of 36.5" to the top of the saddle which would be too short - I need 38.5-39" to accommodate ankle flexing. We also talked about adding a chunkier saddle with thick padding and a gel cover over the top to add some additional height. I liked the bike very much, along with the rest of your range, but needed the certainty of knowing it would be comfortable to ride, particularly when purchased without being able to try it for size first.

If ever I am in the south-east then I would love to try one for size for a future purchase.
thank you for your clarification. The seat post diameter on the Rambletta is 31.6mm.
You would need the 580mm x 31.6mm post.

StillFindingMyWay

Feb 27, 2019
two points:
1. battery: the Stow E-Way has 250WH battery, the Rambletta has 375WH battery. More watt hours equals to bigger range. You can also buy the Rambletta with 432WH (36V 12AH, £70 optional) battery if you want even bigger range.
2. Cassette/freewheel: the Stow E-Way comes with 7-speed 14T-34T cassette/freewheel. The Rambletta comes with 8-speed 11T-34T. The smaller rear cog 11T on the Rambletta lets you cruise at lower cadence, more relaxing ride.
Thank you for your answer. That sounds promising. Can I ask, is the bike quite lightweight? I tested both the Raleigh and the Btwin and they seemed much easier to ride that my old Juicy bike. Would it be the same for the Rabletta?

two points:

StillFindingMyWay

Feb 27, 2019
Be careful with your choice since you wish to keep up with riders on full size e-bikes. That is a tall order for a folder since they are mostly low geared, meaning you'll be spinning the pedals like mad on most to keep up with the motor at 15 mph.

That's true of the Raleigh Stow Away and the current Basis since both have a top gear 14 tooth rear sprocket. The advantage of the Rambletta that Woosh suggested is it's 11 tooth top gear rear sprocket which means it will be much easier to sustain pedalling at 15 mph.

N.B. Crossed with Woosh posts.
Thank you. I thought that it might be wishful thinking wanting the bike for both purposes. I'm not sure I understand sprockets etc but I take your advice

StillFindingMyWay

Feb 27, 2019
I find it very comfortable and have a dodgy back myself from an older injury. I replaced the saddle with a wider, sprung saddle and find it very comfortable on 40mile rides. The handlebar height is adjustable too so you can vary your sitting position from leaning forwards to nearly-upright to reduce pressure on your spine.
Thank you! That is really useful to know about the handlebar heigh adjustment.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Can I ask, is the bike quite lightweight? I tested both the Raleigh and the Btwin and they seemed much easier to ride that my old Juicy bike. Would it be the same for the Rmabletta?
The Rambletta weighs 20kgs with battery, 17.5kgs with the battery removed. On this, it's about same compared to the Stow E-way.
The ride is Dutch style, much sit up and beg. Compared to the Stow E-Way, the Raleigh has the battery behind the seat post so the rear wheel is further back, reducing the responsivity.
You also get good front disc brakes with the Rambletta, progressive and excellent braking power. The pads are much longer lasting (around 2,000-3,000 miles for a new set of pads) than V-brake blocks on bikes in this price range (£1,000).

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thank you. I thought that it might be wishful thinking wanting the bike for both purposes. I'm not sure I understand sprockets etc but I take your advice
The larger the rear sprocket (number of teeth) for a given chain ring at the front, the faster you have to spin the pedals.

For example, with the 14 tooth rear sprocket on the Stow Away and Basis, for 15 mph you will be spinning the pedals at nearly 80 turns per minute, nearly one and a half times per second, which some find too fast for general riding.

With the 11 tooth rear sprocket on the Rambletta, for 15 mph you will be spinning the pedals at about 59 turns per minute, once per second, a comfortable speed.

It all depends on how happy you are with spinning the pedal fast in your usual riding

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I have a folding eBike, a Swytchified Brompton.

To me at 18Kg with battery, its pretty much the limit of what can be picked up, put in the back of the car etc. Even without the battery pack (-2Kg) its still a struggle to handle. Maybe its old age.