FREE Heinzmann, slightly imperfect.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
My 2008 Heinzmann Estelle e-bike is no longer reliable. Over the last few months it has developed an intermittent fault; about 10% of the time, it won't switch on. When I try, the indicator lights flash and then go out. If I fiddle with the electrical cables at various points on the bike, usually I can eventually persuade it to switch on, and once it does, it runs perfectly normally. There must be a loose connection somewhere, but I can't find it on any of the places accessible to me, and I don't have the skill to completely dismantle the electrics.

Anybody willing to pick it up from Dumfries is welcome to it. I've now bought a new bike, and I need the space in my shed.

Mary

Reactions: D C and ta11guy

ta11guy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2015
Dear Mary,
Very kind of you to offer your bike for free.
I would like to give it to my partner so we can start exercising pleasantly.
Since, it's not going to be used for regular commuting, I don't find it a problem that it misbehaves.
Besides, I am quite electric minded, so I hope that I'll be able to repair it or re-wire it. But even if I don't manage, it's still going to be very useful for us.

I'll be grateful if it's still available and you are willing to give it to us.
I can drive from Glasgow and collect it during the weekend so you can free up some space in your shed.
Looking forward to hearing from you,
Regards
Kleo

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Hi Kleo,

Yes, it's still available, and you're the first to ask, so you're welcome to have it. I can be at home any time on Saturday. On Sunday, I may be out morning/ early afternoon, but late afternoon or evening would be okay. I'll send you a PM with my address.

Mary

PS I can't find a "personal message" option on the forum, but I've created a "conversation" which you should be able to read, with my contact details. If you can't find it, you can reply via this thread.

Last edited:

Stephen Gray

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2014
Winlaton Mill 6 miles from Newcastle
Hello Mary,

Yes it is very kind to offer your Heinzmann bike. Out of interest what have you replaced it with ?

Good luck to ta11guy.

If for any reason, you do not manage to give it away to him, I am also interested. I can travel by train from Metrocentre and easily take the bike back the same day as there are direct trains back home.

I assume you are in the town itself.

All this would seem too late now.

Good luck on your new bike.

Snipenose

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Hi Stephen,

I'm expecting ta11guy to collect the bike tomorrow. If that falls through for any reason, I'll get back to you. On the whole, I prefer not to try to sell something that's not perfect. I've had 7 years use from that bike, so now, if somebody else can get a bit more work from it, and is willing to deal with its quirks, that's fine with me.

I've bought a BlueLabel Wave pedelec. It's made by Riese & Muller, with a Bosch crank drive. Mine is an ex-demo bike from Kinetics in Glasgow, so the price was discounted, and I have also just sold my non-electric Brompton to help finance it. I opted for Kinetics because I know they (or rather "he," Ben) have been doing electric bikes for a long time, and because Glasgow is an easy train-ride away, so I can get back there in case of problems. I wasn't keen on buying over the internet, with support maybe a full day's journey away.

I've only made a few short trips on the Wave so far. I'll post a more detailed report when I've had time to get to know it. But first impressions are good. The crank drive is quieter than the Heinzmann hub drive, and I think it's easier to pedal when not using power. Now I need to test it on some hills, or with a loaded trailer.

Mary

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi Stephen,

I'm expecting ta11guy to collect the bike tomorrow. If that falls through for any reason, I'll get back to you. On the whole, I prefer not to try to sell something that's not perfect. I've had 7 years use from that bike, so now, if somebody else can get a bit more work from it, and is willing to deal with its quirks, that's fine with me.

I've bought a BlueLabel Wave pedelec. It's made by Riese & Muller, with a Bosch crank drive. Mine is an ex-demo bike from Kinetics in Glasgow, so the price was discounted, and I have also just sold my non-electric Brompton to help finance it. I opted for Kinetics because I know they (or rather "he," Ben) have been doing electric bikes for a long time, and because Glasgow is an easy train-ride away, so I can get back there in case of problems. I wasn't keen on buying over the internet, with support maybe a full day's journey away.

I've only made a few short trips on the Wave so far. I'll post a more detailed report when I've had time to get to know it. But first impressions are good. The crank drive is quieter than the Heinzmann hub drive, and I think it's easier to pedal when not using power. Now I need to test it on some hills, or with a loaded trailer.

Mary
Kind - and sensible - offer on the old bike, and a nice new bike.

R&M bikes are top notch, as is the Bosch system.

You also have dealer support, not that I expect you will need it.

Good job all round.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Couldn't agree more, well done.

ta11guy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2015
Mary is one of the nicest and most generous people I have ever met. She gave us for free a bike in very good condition and she was very kind to explain in detail everything.
My partner rode it already and she was smiling like a kid the whole time as the bike rode perfectly.

I have nothing but excellent words to say about Mary and I wholehearteadly wish her the best and to enjoy her new bike. I know that we will.

Mary is a true ambassador of the ebikers' community.

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
ta11guy, I'm glad you're happy with the bike. I hope it doesn't fail you at an inconvenient moment!

RobF, Croxden, Stephen Gray - this is the second time I've given away a bike with dodgy electrics. The last time being in 2008 with an Urban Mover bike. It wouldn't go at all for me, but the taker worked on it for a while and got it going again, while I got it out of my way and made space for its replacement.

It's called recycling... ;)

Mary